Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008

Jonesee is on a distinguished road
Yamaha Silent Guitar here!!! Nylon string classical of course. They also make a steel string version. If you don't know what it is, google it. A picture is worth a thousand of my words. Small and easy to transport when broken down. Normal outside dimensions when put together. Works without anything, or with headphones or amp. I am impressed with the sound and and consider it more than satisfactory. It won't hold a candle to my Alvarez Concert Series, but I would never take the Alvarez out on the boat. I don't even take it out of the house for that matter.

I have had the Yamaha for 4-5 years now and use it more than my other 3 combined. Just handy to bang around with no worries. It just keeps going and going...

And I would love to have a Rainsong, but that will put a hurt on a wallet. With that much money, there would be soooo many guitars to choose from.

Oh, I just saw, please forgive for posting on your forum. The guitar headline lured me in.

And I saw you are from Colorado. If you are going to spend much time with a guitar on the water someplace like my very humid state of Florida. Make sure the guitar is humidified and acclimated back to your dryer climate. It will avoid splitting the back or front. If you feel for yours like I do mine, a crack would make me cry.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-08-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008
flylikeabeagle

flylikeabeagle is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all of the great information in your replies. Nice to know there are a bunch of guitar players out there. I have an older Yamaha guitar that I bought at a garage sale for about $100 bucks. It sounds great and that will probably be my traveling guitar. I will leave my Takamine (pathetic that I'm not sure of the spelling after looking at it every day) at home or in storage. I have about 6 guitars in all - they are hard to part with and I seem to buy every guitar I see at a garage sail.
Old 07-09-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
You spelled it correctly...I always think of "Tak-a-mine" like I'm some kind of Italian offering the use of my guitar :-) (and yes, I know phonetically it is Tock - a - mean - e)

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 07-31-2008

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Well it's good that I stumbled across this thread. Talk about timing. I have just been pricing and considering buying a guitar. I'm a complete beginner ...only have spent a few months with a borrowed guitar, but thought that it would be a great addition to the cruising lifestyle. Now I'm not so sure

We currently liveaboard on the Red Sea and the climate is very dry. Deep desert... maybe 15% humidity throughout the year. But we are hoping to sail up to the Med in the future and then we would be heading for high humidity...say 80% for about half the year.

From what I'm reading, I might be better off to wait till we reach the Med before I go out and buy a guitar....

Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Got a cheap guitar (under $200.) had it on board for 12 years. No deterioration - well, to the guitar, anyway. I keep it in a case and away from the sweating hull - usually on the bed in the v-berth. No desicants or anything. We live on the Chesapeake and have traveled several times to Florida and the Bahamas. I think that as long as your boat is reasonably dry; I'd say go for it. It all sounds like good advice to me - and I'd hate to be without my music. (Also have a Midi keyboard on board. Also, no problem.)

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 09-13-2008

jfriday is on a distinguished road
I keep an old D35 in it's case, inside a Climate Case (not sure if they still make those) on my boat in Colorado all the time it is in the water. It changes temperature very slowly, and I keep a humidifier in it. I know it's probably too good of a machine to do that with, but life is short, play good instruments. The Collings and the Parker stay at home...
Old 12-03-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
I agree with all those commenting positively on taking a guitar on board - not a problem, providing you are careful.

My best guitar story happened when I was kayaking with a group of friends around a group of isolated islands on the west coast of Scotland. We were camping and I took my (old and not valuable) guitar. It was strapped on the back of the "provisions" kayak, which was being towed. Without going into the gory details, this kayak sank on the trip out to the island and my guitar took a prolonged dip in the briny. It still played OK (!) but during the course of the following two weeks of camp life, it gradually de-laminated. Finally, during a rousing chorus of "Wild Mountain Thyme" it gracefully folded in two and was later buried with due ceremony.......

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 12-03-2008

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
Timing is funny. I recently bought a "travel guitar" thinking it would be good to leave on boat but decided the sound is more like a mandolin so it's not going to get much use. I will probably just buy a cheap guitar and use that.

And hey guitar center has a special, buy 10 sets of coated strings for $100 and get a free acoustic guitar! I am sure it's a super high quality instrument but hey the price is right and if nothing else you have 10 sets of coated strings for another guitar.
Old 12-04-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
If I remember right Cruising World Mag has an artical on boat guitars this month.

Good Luck,

Mike & Glinda
Old 12-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ohhh I sit everynight on my deck, watching the sun go down, and I play my guitar to the world..

I love to play the guitar while I sail...yes I do

strummmmmmm

strummmmmmm

strummmmmmm

I am all love and music when I sail.....and the bees....and the trees...me and my cruising Valiant ...