SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/467-home-schooling-children.html)

MIA 12-29-2000 03:39 PM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

I HAVE RECENTLY WORKED ON BOARD A BOAT AS A TEACHER. IT WAS A VALUABLE EXPERIENCE TO ALL. THE PARENTS LEARNT A LOT, I LEARNT TO LIVE WITH A FAMILY AND THE KIDS WERE THE BIG WINNERS. PREVIOUS TO MY JOINING THE BOAT SCHOOL WAS A PROBLEM. WE HAVE TO GET THIS DONE ATTITUDE AND TOOTH AND NAIL TO GET IT DONE. AFTER ONE WEEK THE CHILDREN WERE GETTING UP AT SIX THIRTY TO START SCHOOL. THEY WENT FROM 15 HOURS A WEEK TO 25 HOURS. THEY HAD A LOT OF RESPECT FOR ME AS THEY NEW I WAS A TEACHER. IT IS A REAL OPTION THAT I ENJOYED. I WILL BE LOOKING FOR A BOAT TO SAIL AGAIN DOING THIS BUT CAN ALSO HELP NETWORK YOU WITH OTHER TEACHERS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. THIS IDEA GOES ALONG THE LINES THAT ENOUGH PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GOOD TO ME AND HELPED ME SO I ENJOY DOING THE SAME. EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE IDEAS OR SUGGESTION. I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF GOOD REPORTS ABOUT THE NEW ZEALAND HOME SCHOOLING. I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF CALVERT. AUSTRALIA HAS HAD SOME REALLY GOOD HOME SCHOOLING IN PLACE FOR AGES BUT HAVE NOT DONE ENOUGH RESEARCH.
GDAY
MIA

explorers 01-01-2001 03:46 PM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

MIA,
Im just finishing a 20 year carreer with the US Marines. My wife and two boys ages 5&6 are investigating living on a boat in Austrailia. We want to buy, or rent or lease a boat and work in Austrailia for a year before returning to California. When you homeschool on a boat, did you live aboard or did you show up on school days? What is an average cost of schooling? Can you help?

MIA 01-03-2001 10:55 AM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

WHEN TRAVELLING I LIVED ON BOARD. I WOULD OF HAD THE PREFERENCE TO SPEND MORE TIME OFF THE BOAT AS I THINK IT IS BETTER FOR RELATIONSHIPS ALL AROUND. I SCHOOLED IN RETURN FOR PASSAGE. I HAVEN''T HEARD OF MANY PEOPLE DOING IT SO I DON''T KNOW EXPECTATIONS. YOUR CHILDREN COULD GO TO SCHOOL IN AUSTRALIA. HOW WOULD YOU GET WORK VISAS? YOU MAY FIND IT EASIER TO GET WORK VISAS IN NEW ZEALAND. IT IS CHEAPER TO LIVE THERE, A LITTLE COLDER BUT GREAT CRUISING GROUNDS.
MIA

WildPony 06-25-2001 07:46 AM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

I have a fourteen year old whom I will be home schooling for the first time. She has been sailing for weekend trips and a nine day vacation and did wonderfully. I am seeking information on how to get started with home schooling and what is the average cost?

We are going to the Florida Keys in October and I may put her in school there for a short while.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks
wildpony

rakuqueen1 03-27-2003 07:35 PM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

Did you ever get any information. I have a 15 year old. She will be 16 when we leave. We plan to be gone for 1/2 of her 10th grade year and all of her 11th grade year. We will return for 12th, prom, sat''s, etc.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jane

namaste04 03-28-2003 06:53 AM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

Hi all.

home schooling kids on board is great. My parents took us all on 1-2 year voyages when we were in school. We simply used our regular school materials (met with the teachers beforehand) and tailored the curriculum to where we were traveling, to get the most out of the experience. It was wonderful.

We''re taking our 7 year old on a 1-2 year trip and plan to do the same.

You can get some good ideas and advice at:http://www.kidsaboard.com/Homeschool/index.htm

Stacey

fourknots 04-01-2003 07:20 AM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

We have been homeschooling our kids aboard for 5 years and homeschooled for their entire life. Daughter is 16 and going to college next fall. Son is 14. It is a great experience for them, but cruising school not be like regular school. It takes less time and you should take advantage of where you are. If you''re transisting the Panama Canal, study that, not ancient China. Calvert is OK, but too much like regular school. For a year, you can buy the books you need and give it your best shot - they''ll do fine.

There is a good book, called Fun Afloat by Theresa Fort that has lots of good educational and fun stuff in it. You can get it through Amazon or Good Old Boat.

rakuqueen1 04-01-2003 01:48 PM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

Thanks for your suggestions. The one thing our daughter wants to do is learn Italian.
I speak a little Spanish. Does Calvert do languages? I''ll check out that book.

ivette 06-19-2004 06:35 PM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

I AM LOOKING FOR AS MUCH INFORMATION AS I CAN ON HOMESCHOOLING WHEN I START MY WORLD CRUISING MY DAUGHTER WILL BE 14 YRS OLD SHE IS NOW 11 BUT IT IS NEVER TO EARLY TO FIND OUT ALL ONE CAN. IF YOU HAVE GOOD RECOMMENDATION ON GOOD HOMESCHOOLILNG PLEASE ADVICE

seame 07-11-2004 11:39 PM

HOME SCHOOLING CHILDREN

Hi,
Home schooled and sailed with my children from birth until 13 and 15. They are both now in University. We used Calvert School, independent home schooling and the New Zealand home school.

All went well. Sailing is the best education you can give your children. Most people switch to University of Nebraska after Calvert.

Good luck.