Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008

lynn1120 is on a distinguished road
Ref Ziplocks--

yes the recipe is good

ZIPLOCKS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND

they make good mixing bowls, marinating dishes, portable sinks on picnics in addition to keeping dry stuff dry/crunchy and wet stuff contained.

For the few years on the boat I was buying so many different sizes to stock up I was afraid I was going to be reported by the grocery store clerks as a drug wholeseller! LOL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
IMO great food adds so much to a cruise! The can of dinty moore wont ever happen on our boat unless its in a life raft

It's unclear as to what you intend to do on the cruise? Are you stopping over nights in anchorages or marina's? Are you sailing from NYC to NC non stop? All these factors would determine what I would plan to cook and choose.

I don't think for a 5 day cruise you need to cook much different than you would at home. That said, you want to have some quick easy meals to prepare if your unable to spend time in the galley. The precooked Bratwurst are a favorite, Croissants w Prosciutto & Cheese, etc.

Considering it will still be warm out, grilling & quick sautés/stir fry work well. You could prep allot at home. I often marinate things to help preserve them and add flavor. Trimming and peeling things at home first and packaging them properly before will save you allot of time, example carrots, salad greens, onions, garlic in olive oil, etc. Some quickies we love are grilled steak & onion over romaine with balsamic & blue cheese, grilled chix & pesto sandwiches, Reuben's, bla bla bla...

As we get into the fall I enjoy cooking a lot of one pot meals, Braises & Stews. They are such soulful dishes, they have so much flavor and can be inexpensive and taste like a million $$. (They will burn up propane/fuel though Curries are always good, canned coconut milk and some shrimp or chicken. They don't take as long as a pot roast We have been roasting a chicken in the oven for the past three Thanksgiving weekend cruises, helps keep the cabin above freezing (not this year, oven be broken)

Hope some of those tips help...

I think I need to write a good cookbook for sailors...and publishers here?

Whatever you decide, write a menu and pack the refer in reverse order, minus the everyday stuff like OJ, Butter, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-04-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
We go through a lot of Wasa crackers, cheese and thuringer type of.. whip out the ol pocket knife and cut ya off a hunk kind of meals during the day. Biggest meal is dinner usually someting on the BBQ..Weve never had an oven on a boat before so yet to be seen how much it gets used.
We always use to bring along a Colman propane camp stove to be able to cook out side the cabin too..And I can wip up some mean western or sourthern type omlets in the morning pretty quick and painlessly.

Shis-ka-bobs are fun easy and fantastic on the grill too.

Oh and did I mention Beer anytime.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-04-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
IMO great food adds so much to a cruise! The can of dinty moore wont ever happen on our boat unless its in a life raft

It's unclear as to what you intend to do on the cruise? Are you stopping over nights in anchorages or marina's? Are you sailing from NYC to NC non stop? All these factors would determine what I would plan to cook and choose.

I don't think for a 5 day cruise you need to cook much different than you would at home. That said, you want to have some quick easy meals to prepare if your unable to spend time in the galley. The precooked Bratwurst are a favorite, Croissants w Prosciutto & Cheese, etc.

Considering it will still be warm out, grilling & quick sautés/stir fry work well. You could prep allot at home. I often marinate things to help preserve them and add flavor. Trimming and peeling things at home first and packaging them properly before will save you allot of time, example carrots, salad greens, onions, garlic in olive oil, etc. Some quickies we love are grilled steak & onion over romaine with balsamic & blue cheese, grilled chix & pesto sandwiches, Reuben's, bla bla bla...

As we get into the fall I enjoy cooking a lot of one pot meals, Braises & Stews. They are such soulful dishes, they have so much flavor and can be inexpensive and taste like a million $$. (They will burn up propane/fuel though Curries are always good, canned coconut milk and some shrimp or chicken. They don't take as long as a pot roast We have been roasting a chicken in the oven for the past three Thanksgiving weekend cruises, helps keep the cabin above freezing (not this year, oven be broken)

Hope some of those tips help...

I think I need to write a good cookbook for sailors...and publishers here?

Whatever you decide, write a menu and pack the refer in reverse order, minus the everyday stuff like OJ, Butter, etc.
We are definitely going to be looking for you when we start cruising again!! The kids are lucky if they get bologne with mustard and potatoe chips!!

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-04-2008

Hey...nothing wrong with bolonge & mustard...grew up on it...now those potatoe chips...they sound weird...are they anything like potato chips?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Hey...nothing wrong with bolonge & mustard...grew up on it...now those potatoe chips...they sound weird...are they anything like potato chips?
HEHE! I am all thumbs. Oh well. Want to know why you grew up on Bologne? Cause if you are like my kids, you could eat your parents out of house and home!!

Take care,

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrad7 View Post
Hello ladies
LOL...guess I missed that part

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-04-2008

SailorPam is on a distinguished road
deBrad7

Two useful items:

American Outdoors: Soft-Sided Coolers
I have two of these soft-sided coolers. They are tough and keep ice for two days. The ones with the outside pockets store tons. They can double as luggage so you have a cooler when you arrive at your destination. We're taking one to La Paz next month in fact.

Spice rack, outdoor gourmet, camping kitchen, spice containers, camp cooking, camp kitchen
My sailing mentors created these. It's very handy for those of us who want to have our favorite flavors with us. Plus, hey, you're supporting fellow sailors!

Racers want to finish first, cruisers never want to finish.
Old 09-28-2008
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
Well - how did it go?

I was just about to post a reply, and realize you have most likely already returned from your cruise. So - how did it go?

--- Heck, I'll reply anyway for the next guy! ---

If you are a first time galley cook - I'd stick to stove top cooking and skip any attempt at baking.

If we are trying to make a distance, I stick with cereal for breakfast, and have cheese and crackers, soup or a simple sandwich for lunch (as little washing up as possible) - If we have time, and are hanging around on the hook I'll make a good fry up and call it Brunch - throwing in whatever I have available.

We always have plenty of snacks available (I generally buy huge bags of nuts, trail mix, and granola bars - along with any special favorites of whoever is on board). I don't personally like to drink straight water - so I have Crystal light in various flavors for me, and powder gatorade mix for my husband.

You don't mention what refrigeration space you have (if any) that would make your choices. We get through lots of milk (cereal, omletts, baking, etc) and if we can't refrigerate what we'll need until we get to the next store, we have "backup supplies" of Parmalat milk - a blue and white UHT carton milk that stores unrefrigerated for upto 6 months until opening (can find either in the baking section or the coffee and tea section of most supermarkets). Also does the boat come with some basic provisions (Spices? , cooking oil? etc) and cookware (pots, knives, etc)? If you are a coffee drinker in the mornings - do you have a french press on the boat?

I always like a good dinner. Pasta is easy, espeically if you use the ready made sauces. My husband (who does the washing up) prefers 1 pot dinners. I like rice dishes (Indian or oriental) and if I make rice, I make plenty so I can do egg fried rice the next day for snack/brunch. If I make pasta I often make extra and turn it into pasta salad for the next day. I love my pressure cooker, but mostly because I want that propane that I HAVE To FIND and CARRY to last as long as possible - that won't have been an issue in your case (I assume).

If your provisioning the boat for a short time, and your calling it a vacation (rather than living aboard), I'd stick with enjoying the cruise and buying simple or ready to heat type meals. Soup in cartons are good, there are a number of "boil in the bag" Indian dishes which take only 5 minutes to be ready AND have very little washing up. Instant mash potato is easy and lightweight too. Same for cous-cous (versatile, quick and easy to make).

I almost always have onions and potatoes aboard, and apples too. Other fresh fruit and veg are good if you can store them - if not the canned stuff is probably easier in most cases. My staples would be Fruit:mandarin oranges, pineapple, etc, Veg: tinned corn, tomato, mushrooms, olives.

Buy some good fresh bread - and eat out too when you get a chance.

To be honest for 5 days you won't need much - you'll probably over buy and then have to give away a bunch of food. Plan ahead and get youself a list for the supermarket once you arrive.

Don't forget the beer and wine.

Old 09-30-2008

debrad7 is on a distinguished road
hi y'all....

Well we're back from Washington, NC and even though we had to weather the storm at a marina in Bath for a few days, it was an awesome trip. We met the locals, ate at the local pizza place, listened to music, drank dark & stormies and enjoyed out time together. The sun finally came out on the last day of our charter and we spent the day on the water before our sail back. Then off to The Carolina House, a quaint B&B, had a fantasic meal at Pia's and a short visit to the Estuary the next morning before our plane ride back to nyc.

We did very well with provisioning, so thanks for all your advice. We always had a hearty breakfast (eggs, pancakes, yogurt) with good strong coffee (my bf is a little spoiled, so we had to have starbucks but I would've settled for folgers.) We kept dinners real simple, picked up ready- made bertolli pasta meals with chicken and shrimp which worked out fine. For lunch we snacked on cheese & crackers, snack bars & trail mix and drank lots of wine. Next time I'd like to make a few of the recipes you all provided but for this first trip, we thought it best to keep it simple.

We've already started talking about our next trip. I'd like to go back to Maine (was there last year and had these unbelievable blueberry margharitas to die for) but maybe it'll be the Chesapeake. I'll be checking the forum for ideas, so if you have any recommendations, it'll be great to hear from you.

best,
deb