SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   First time galley cook (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/46721-first-time-galley-cook.html)

debrad7 09-03-2008 01:44 PM

First time galley cook

Hello ladies, My bf and I are going on a 5 day cruise to Palmico Sound in NC this month and I'll be handling most of the meals on board. I need to plan a menu and shopping list for the trip. Does anyone have any favorite recipes I can use (b'fast, lunch, dinner & apps), nothing too challenging or time consuming tho'. I won't have a pressure cooker available as we're flying to NC from NYC. Many thanks.

lynn1120 09-03-2008 04:38 PM

cruise menu

I usually set one up in March for the summer-- makes shopping/prep easier and as time goes by I find I do more and more prep work at home, freeze it and spend less time prepping on boat--we cruise for weekends and up to two weeks at a time in an area that is pretty isolated with minimal services. Do you plan to travel with a really good "extreme cooler"--I have kept food frozen in that for almost two weeks at a time.

bkfast ideas-- granola ceral--add some trail mix and make like a parfait with vanilla yogurt.
Here in cda we can get maple smoked salmon--good straight on a heavy german rye bread, toasted over gas grill
both bkfst ideas are light, easy to transport and store

going up the scale-- get a buttermilk pancake mix, take one of the tubes of ground sausage meat that you would buy when making turkey stuffing--squeeze it out of plastic tube and bake at home, cool, wrap in wax paper and put in a ziplock-- freeze solid--go to boat-- when you get up in am dice up about a qtr cup of cooked sausage and mix that into about a heaping cup of pancake mix, add enough water to make a thick biscuit dough--spoon tablespoons of dough onto parchment paper covered cookie sheet or greased pie pan and bake until knife tip into biscuit comes out clean.. serve warm with a drizzle of something sweet-- syrup, jam, honey whatever..

Is this what you had in mind?
or take a look at my 2008 menu guide:
Boat menus

# = make ahead

Chicken Beef Pork Fish Shellfish Steak Mex Pork # Salmon Shrimp
Chicken with lemon#
Tenderloin w/capers
Pasta Sauce#
chorizo

Bkfst ideas: Muffins, scones, yogurt and cereal, eggs, pancakes

Lunch fruit and cheese, sandwiches, stuffed wraps

Appetizers:

Dairy Poultry Beef Pork Fish shellfish
Goats’ cheese# quesadilla spedini shrimp wraps
Baked Brie # chick wings# chorizo smkd salmon# Kbabs crab cakes#
Dates w/ goat cheese smkd tuna# Crab dip- baked#
Frittata squares sardines#
Devilled eggs herring #

Veg
Crostina
Bruschetta #
brochette stuffed with snails#
Squash lasagna#
Grilled flat bread with Zataar#
Artichokes baked #
Avocado
Radish sandwiches
Chick pea spread#

Salads
Greek
Lentil
Couscous
Caesar
Bean

imagine2frolic 09-03-2008 04:56 PM

Just eat like you eat at home. Boat life is not at all different from shore life, except for the boat moves. I am sure you will find it not as complicated as you might be thinking.....BEST WISHES, and have tons of fun...i2f

Cruisingdad 09-03-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn1120 (Post 362637)
I usually set one up in March for the summer-- makes shopping/prep easier and as time goes by I find I do more and more prep work at home, freeze it and spend less time prepping on boat--we cruise for weekends and up to two weeks at a time in an area that is pretty isolated with minimal services. Do you plan to travel with a really good "extreme cooler"--I have kept food frozen in that for almost two weeks at a time.

bkfast ideas-- granola ceral--add some trail mix and make like a parfait with vanilla yogurt.
Here in cda we can get maple smoked salmon--good straight on a heavy german rye bread, toasted over gas grill
both bkfst ideas are light, easy to transport and store

going up the scale-- get a buttermilk pancake mix, take one of the tubes of ground sausage meat that you would buy when making turkey stuffing--squeeze it out of plastic tube and bake at home, cool, wrap in wax paper and put in a ziplock-- freeze solid--go to boat-- when you get up in am dice up about a qtr cup of cooked sausage and mix that into about a heaping cup of pancake mix, add enough water to make a thick biscuit dough--spoon tablespoons of dough onto parchment paper covered cookie sheet or greased pie pan and bake until knife tip into biscuit comes out clean.. serve warm with a drizzle of something sweet-- syrup, jam, honey whatever..

Is this what you had in mind?
or take a look at my 2008 menu guide:
Boat menus

# = make ahead

Chicken Beef Pork Fish Shellfish Steak Mex Pork # Salmon Shrimp
Chicken with lemon#
Tenderloin w/capers
Pasta Sauce#
chorizo

Bkfst ideas: Muffins, scones, yogurt and cereal, eggs, pancakes

Lunch fruit and cheese, sandwiches, stuffed wraps

Appetizers:

Dairy Poultry Beef Pork Fish shellfish
Goats’ cheese# quesadilla spedini shrimp wraps
Baked Brie # chick wings# chorizo smkd salmon# Kbabs crab cakes#
Dates w/ goat cheese smkd tuna# Crab dip- baked#
Frittata squares sardines#
Devilled eggs herring #

Veg
Crostina
Bruschetta #
brochette stuffed with snails#
Squash lasagna#
Grilled flat bread with Zataar#
Artichokes baked #
Avocado
Radish sandwiches
Chick pea spread#

Salads
Greek
Lentil
Couscous
Caesar
Bean

Nice post, Lynn.

I will just comment on us (probably just us) but we typically keep really simple lunches so we don't make a mess and don't get into daily activities. Having something you can just throw in the dink is great too. This may simply be because we have kids though... but I doubt it would change even when we get older.

Just some thoughts.

- CD

SailorPam 09-03-2008 06:16 PM

I made a dish that was a hit this last weekend. I melted about a tablespoon of butter in a skillet, threw in about half a pound of bay scallops (the little ones) gave them a light seasoning of kosher salt and cooked them until they were no longer translucent, turning occasionally. The butter should give them a slight golden coat. Then glug some white wine in the pan and let it cook down. Then I put them on a plate in the middle of table and handed everyone a fork(there were 6 of us). I cooked up two pounds that way. We also had some steamed clams, green salad and sour dough bread. The wine flowed freely and it was one of those great on board meals everybody enjoyed.

lynn1120 09-04-2008 09:54 AM

Yes CD, kids or no, our lunches are very simple hand foods too

Baby bell gouda cheese and apples, perhaps some trail mix--or left overs, if there are any :rolleyes:

Softair 09-04-2008 01:15 PM

2frolic behave Softair is watching you at this forum too :)

imagine2frolic 09-04-2008 01:53 PM

I am behaving. I am just giving my go simple advice.;) I was raised to never be rude, unless it is truly deserved. YOU KEEP watching me, and you will have to adopt me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Softair 09-04-2008 02:12 PM

2frolic you have done things in the past such as unsupervised sailing and you even bought a Catamaran just for fun, you also like cocktails and partying so I must keep an eye on ya...I can adopt you Cat as long as you turn it crewless, clean and ready to sail.

Good to see you here, plan on going to Tunisia or Panama and meet my boat

debrad7 09-04-2008 02:48 PM

Great ideas, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Will start my list this week and keep it simple. Prep work and heavy duty coolers are out as we're flying in and shopping the day before departure but I'm sure we'll make due.
Actually I found a recipe for breakfast omelets where you add all your ingredients in a ziplock bag and then boil the bag for 13 minutes. Thought that would be interesting to try out.