Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2001

kbsojourner is on a distinguished road
Home port

Anne,

I''ve lived aboard and cruised for close to 20 years, if there are any questions you have I''d be glad to try to answer them or point you in the right direction.

Best Regards,
Kathy
MS Sojourner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2001

Weissdorn is on a distinguished road
Home port

Hi Erikal!

I get chronically seasick myself. This has nothing to do with being scared or inexperienced. I was operated on my ears as a child, and that makes a little more sensitive to motion sickness. This is why I read anything I can get my hands about seasickness, because I dread the first 3 days out.

Theoretically, all persons taller than 4-6 feet can get seasick. You know, it has to do with the inner balance in the brain, and the taller a person is, usually the worse it is. I''m 5-11.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no patent cure for seasickness. Some people swear Gingerale is the cure-all; others take Dramine, some drink beer; still others wear these silly elastic bands, that always get in the way. I shouldn''t critize them though, because it works for some people.

However, my personal cure is drinking one of those magnesium tablets that desolves itself in water in the morning for breakfast. Scientists have found out that the brain requires more magnesium and calcium to deal with the "altered" motion in your environment. This may be true. Anyway, it does help me. Try either calcium or magnesium, but don''t take them simultaneously, because they cancel each other out.

I don''t like Dramine or Bonnie, because they make you tired. That''s not to good if you''re at the helm.

Yours,

Weissdorn

P.S. Never let anyone try to tell you that seasickness is purely pyschological. They don''t have a clue!
Old 03-12-2001

Sailor_Grl15 is on a distinguished road
Home port

I would like to say hi to everyone. I''m 15 and am seriously outnumbered when it comes to sailing. I have never met another teenage girl who sails. I know many teenage boys, but... it''s just not the same. I''ve been on sailboats since I was just 3 weeks old. I''m interested in finding other teenage girl sailors who are experienced to talk to. I personally own a Dolphin Sr. 1982 and as a family a Helms 24 1981. I''ve recently become a die hard racer (or as much as I can be on a small lake in the middle of the country).
Old 08-15-2001

svsheela is on a distinguished road
Home port

Hey Windrunner, I don''t often feel outnumbered, I ALWAYS feel outnumbered. I''ve been singlehanding cruising for 3 yrs. And in all these yrs. I''ve never come across another single handed female sailor. I must admit I get a lot of attention (and I''m no spring chicken), but it sure would be nice to sometimes sit and talk seriously about sailing. I''m taking a little land R&R visiting my family, plus hauling out etc. If you would like to chat sometime, that would be nice. I''m new at this computor stuff, don''t know if the message will automatically give you my address, if not here it is-svsheelariggs@hotmail.com- Take Care, Sheela
Old 03-29-2003

wahine_toa is on a distinguished road
Home port

hi there! I am Cheryl and I am definitely sharing the same feelings as some of you in here! I am looking for a change in my life. Seeing things, doing things, introducing my son to adventure and life! I feel so lonely in this materialistic world and need to connect to people more like myself. I do not yet know how to sail and have no money to buy a boat to sail but I will work hard to make both happen so that my dreams will come to fruition.
Old 03-30-2003

rakuqueen1 is on a distinguished road
Home port

New to the board. We sold our home last July, bought a sail boat in January, and plan to move on it in the fall. My husband will retire and we plan to take off. We have a 15 year old daughter who will go w/ us and be home schooled. That is one of my many projects to find info about. We have been talking about doing this about 5 years after we got married. We have another daughter who is in college and really wants to go w/ us but really wants to finish up. That will be her call. We are also in Texas, Gulf Coast.
Old 04-20-2004

COOLAIR is on a distinguished road
Home port

BUY A USED SUNFISH AND GO SAILING! RR_/)