Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Not sure if I am allowed to post here or not. If I am not - moderator, just delete it. No worries.

We (and I mean we) borrowed a 22 foot Tanzer sailboat for a summer (1995). We have a four month season where we live. At that point we had a son in high school and a daughter in college.

I was going to a conference in Toronto the following April and Linda gave me the cheque book and told me to buy a Tanzer 22 and to arrange for bringing her home. We did evenings and weekends for four summers. Got her fixed exactly the way we wanted. Took her on a ten day "vacation" and came home and sold her.

Bought a Tanzer 28. Did coast of New Brunswick and coast of Maine for seven summers. Got her exactly how we wanted her. Went on a eight week vacation on her, came home and put her up for sale. By then daughter was married and son was too.

Now we have a 34 foot Irwin. We will be doing close to three months on her this summer. I sure hope she is not for sale when we get home We sold the house, moved into a townhouse where they do all the mowing, gardening etc.

Mu suggestion - do it slow, have fun. You can't follow the kids and grand kids cause they keep moving. I am sort of retired, Linda writes full time and as long as I make sure everything Linda needs is covered - we will enjoy the boat, the water and most of all each other.

The dream might be Tahiti, the Caribbean or the world. Reality might be a week, a month or a year on the boat at a time. Just because it comes in smaller time hunks does not mean it is not "cruising" (small c and in quotes)

It seems to be working for us - I pray it will work for you as well.

Cheers

Rik & Linda
Old 02-21-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
ystanley - there's some interesting thoughts about downsizing on this thread beginning about here Must Haves On Board?

rikhall - IMHO guys are more than welcome to post here; the hersailnet forum is more about the topics that we choose to discuss rather than being a gender-exclusive club ... as long as you're not mocking ... so thanx for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

ystanley is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=eryka;452533]ystanley - there's some interesting thoughts about downsizing on this thread beginning about here

QUOTE]
Wow! Great post. Lots of info. Gave me alot to think about and lots of good tips. Things I would not have thought about! I would have never thought of a collandar... I bought a strainer lid for my pressure cooker and will try that out. I am also reconsidering our 5 year plan. We could actually be ready to go in about 2. Our youngest may actually consider going with us for a while after high school. After reading through the whole thread I have one concern.... Exactly why do you need supositories??

Ystanley
"Puggin' Along"
Old 02-22-2009

It wouldn't let me post the link....

Ystanley
"Puggin' Along"
Old 02-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystanley View Post
It wouldn't let me post the link....
One more post (10) and it will.

I did want to address the kids aspect of all this. Your kids don't visit? I'm thinking you might want to look back and review how life was when you were in your twenties. If you were much like me, visiting mom and pop wasn't the most scintillating of items on my social schedule! Now when they have kids, they'll be calling. (g) This is actually a good time to go, before you start wanting to be there for those grandkid's arrivals.

As to "things", a boat will make you look at your kitchen anew. How many specialized appliances do you have that can be eliminated and their functions filled by a pot and a fry pan? (I once lived for six months with only an electric skillet for cooking. Boil the coffee water in it first, then fry the bacon!)

Another factor is that a lot of people launch into these things when their physical prowess is already well on the wane. There is a certain amount of physical activity that will be less than tolerant of age's advancing infirmities. In a perfect world we all cruise for a few years when we're twenty and then spend the rest of our life talking about it. In the real world, we wait until the comforts of home make the enjoyment of the cruising less. Don't get that old.
Old 02-22-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Don't get that old.
One of the things that my mother said to me after, heart bypass, stoke, stints, diabetes,. You know this getting old stuff, ain't for cowards!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2009
Author in Hawaii

OrioninHawaii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OrioninHawaii
Well 5+ years ago when we sold the house and bought our 48' celestial I told my dad I didn't want to be 80 years old and wonder what would it have been like if we had done it. I must admit it was a struggle at first - all those lovely things! And now? I find it gets easier each year- I put stuff I thought I couldn't live without into storage (just in case) and my son has enjoyed visiting his mother in Hawaii...but it's still a trade-off and I know other cruisers who end up missing the holiday-grandkid scenario...
I will say my husband and I have gotten closer because our lives are much simpler. Sailaway makes a great point about age- I'm glad we did it and have no regrets...
Old 03-08-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystanley View Post
After reading through the whole thread I have one concern.... Exactly why do you need supositories??
Well, if you're reeeally reeeally seasick, so seasick that you barf your nausea meds before they've been in your system long enough to do you any good, you've got to find another way to get and keep the drugs in your system.
Old 03-08-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Ystanley,

It appears you've got plenty of time to sort things out. And, lots of resouces here to network with in the meantime, as well. Great suggestions and empathy from lots of folks with the same dreams & nightmares.
Bruce and I are building our own boat to be our future home, and have the benefit of having done short runs of cruising (1 to 2 months out at a time) so we have a better feel for what we want and need.

Regarding the process of "shedding" -- as others have already said, ask yourself can this be useful/fit on my boat? There are some great books out there on just this subject. PM me and I'll be happy to give you a couple of names of the books we've read.

As you go through the process of shedding, make your purchase/cleaning house decision based on that principle. I determined I need one set of items for the boat and another for the land-based home (we may not be successful in selling our house in 2 or 3 years, so I may resort to renting it out semi-furnished as an option).

Along this same line of thought, you may want to consider long-term storage. I have some things (heirlooms and artwork I've collected over the years) that I'm NOT willing to sell/giveaway/toss. And Bruce has some expensive machine tools he's keeping. So we've decided to purchase a shipping container and put most of this sort of stuff in it and a friend who has a farm is allowing us to store it there. Other things, like the family heirlooms I'll be asking my family members to 'hold onto' for safe-keeping.

We know we most likely won't physically be able to stay out there forever, and when and if we decide times up, we'll find some remote property and build a small cabin (off the grid is our preference) and move our stuff into it. Planning for that day is a separate kitty.

I've also got a fairly detailed letter of instruction about where all this stuff is, and what to do with it in case something happens to us/me out there (probably a topic for some other thread).

Light At the End of the Tunnel:
I have 2 kids (adopted my late husband's children when they were preteens), a son 29 that I'm not on speaking terms, and a daughter 27 who is married with 2 kids (grandkids ages 9 & 6) and I get along with just fine. My significant other, Bruce has 4 great kids (2 girls 16, 17, and 2 boys 23 & 29). Most of the time they want to come with us (vacations), and this may very well be the case with you and/or perhaps your grandkids can, too.

When my kids were in the terrible teens (and also have gone through and are currently going thru again with Bruce's), my sister shared this with me and it helped so I'll share it with you.
me.Children are like dogs-loyal and affectionate

Keep positive, and as others have also said... its worth it!

Michele

Last edited by quidam1947; 03-08-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2009

[QUOTE=quidam1947;459728]Ystanley,

When my kids were in the terrible teens (and also have gone through and are currently going thru again with Bruce's), my sister shared this with me and it helped so I'll share it with you.
me.Children are like dogs-loyal and affectionate

LOVE IT!!!! I never heard this before but it is sooo true!!!! Thanks for all the great advice.

Ystanley
"Puggin' Along"