Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Once upon a time (not too many years ago) approximately 30 - 40 years ago the only cleaning method was with regular soap and water. This was the only source for personal hygene and it was also used for dishwashing and clothes. This means you can decrease your materials to only a few pieces .The selection is yours.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
It all depends on what is important to YOU and how big your boat is.I lived for 2 years on a 27ft boat with one sink one toilet and no shower.I was as happy as a sandboy and was proud of my silver hair and relaxed and fit body.
Ellinor
Old 02-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Does every woman have some Imelda Marcos blood???

SHOES!
Old 02-20-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
No ! Not I
Old 06-02-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Not too many 'products'. Plenty of sunscreen, moisturizer, mouthwash, floss, extra toothbrushes, a couple of lipsticks with sunscreen, aloe for sunburn, qtips. Gave myself a super short haircut which only needs a trim 3 or 4 times a year if that. Not keeping my gray but now that my hair is super short, I can get 3 touchups out of one bottle. I've never been into shoes but like crocs for the rain, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair sandals for onshore, 1 pair foulie boots, 2 pairs of deck shoes so when one gets wet I have a dry spare & I keep one pair of black high heels to keep things interesting on those nights I get lucky ~ only worn in bed.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 06-02-2009

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
When I moved aboard in February, I paired down to just shampoo/cream rinse, body moisturizing shower gel, moisturizer for after shower, deodorant, toothpaste/toothbrush, q-tips and razors. I have a small makeup kit with mascara, 2 eye shadows, lipstick, and powder. I found that a "scrap book" travel case sold at hobby lobby works really well for shower bag, It is an open tool bag looking case with separate compartments. For smell good stuff I keep Rosewater aboard Ocean Girl which I also use to spray the sheets.
I Have been down the bare bones road using a 2in1 shampoo w/ no makeup but the princess in me is much happier this way, find out what the princess in you is happy with and go with it (it is you adventure!)

Hope this helps
Erika
Old 06-03-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Funny stuff... we live aboard and cruise. My wife changes her clothes once a week, maybe, depending on whether they stand up on their own (literally - there's a picture of her shorts standing up on their own on our blog). She spends much of her time in a bathing suit. Last week it rained cats and dogs and she took a bath in the dinghy. Normally, she swims and then rinses off under the sunshower, sometimes with soap and shampoo, sometimes not. I don't remember the last time we had a real shower. Product wise, she keeps some moisturizer around for occasional use, and she has deodorant. She has soap and shampoo that gets used sometimes. She does have razors, toothpaste/toothbrush, and we keep q-tips on board for general use. Outside of that, no makeup, perfume, gels, creams, etc. BTW, her hair (on her head) goes below her shoulders. She used to have all the stuff and the complete ritual every morning, but it's funny what a cruising lifestyle does... her approach is pretty much par for the course for most cruisers we've met, except for people with catamarans that have big showers and watermakers
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-11-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
for me--neutrogena bathstuff, neutrogena shampoo and a leave in conditioner and vasoline intensive care lotion of some sort for my bod.and deodorant--everyone needs antiskunk ..lol--wash , shake, run!!LOL.....lived on board since 1990 without problems !!!--of course when i get to a place where i can have unlimited water, i use hair dye and that is the only other luxury....i have loong hair also!!

Last edited by zeehag; 08-11-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: boatkat is a bad speeler and lousey typoer
Old 05-30-2010
joni duncan

snb25 is on a distinguished road
well well my mama done told me being clean is important but satisfying an evil monkey of consumer products is your own problem soooooo I liveaboard a very small boat bathe in th sea and cut my own hair the nasty has been fixed my only big breakdown was this computer going ashore is a important but after awhile it just goes over my head ......cause carring for my little craft that takes care of me is mooooost important.....loves joni
Old 06-29-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
LOL, I got sucked into this thread even though it wasn't what I thought when I read "hygiene" :-) Note: get a twist-cap-sealed tube of semi-liquid color/gloss, b/c regular lipstick WILL melt! But I would like to add one very important hygiene item: wet wipes for the head (potty, not hat rack). We use a RackSack for the paper (has a lid; saves the head) and wet wipes in addition to TP for that fresh-in-the-AM feeling, makes the seawater-and-SunShower much easier as a lifestyle. I would never, ever go without a moisturizer I trust and sunblock (including safe-for-face or safe-for-kids: same general principle there), and something aloe-based for healing burns (liquid ammonia on a washcloth or other porous cloth will take the immediate sting out of a bad sunburn, although it will smell a bit while wet: also a dab of it is great for taking the itch out of a fresh mosquito bite, but NOT on a no-see-um bite, as that is open flesh).

I brought a few bottles of various skin toners with us last time just because I had them; turns out such products GREAT for relieving a hot sticky face/back of neck/chest in a tropical August anchorage... and rubbing alcohol will do that and several other jobs around the boat once the various toner bottles are gone. I am hoping that my hair goes back to its sun-bleached look once we've been out a while, gray blends fine with that. And like everyone else, the healthiness of the lifestyle gives everyone a more beautiful look than they had ashore, naturally! :-)

Last edited by catamariner; 06-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.