Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009

ystanley is on a distinguished road
Personal Hygiene

This morning while getting ready to leave for my 9-5 I counted the number of products I actually use on a day to day basis. I counted makeup and creams, hair styling products, etc. I did not include what I consider essentials, shampoo, soap, toothpaste and deoderant. I was shocked with my number ... 25 Products! This got me thinking on a monthly basis. I would have to add 7 more products dealing with "that time of the month" and my monthly hair salon visit for hair dye (to cover all my gray hair). Ok so now add winter and summer skin products not to mention the appliances I use on a daily basis. The iron (could live without no problem) and the hair dryer which I am told will be a major issue. I won't mention the amount of products I carry in my purse to manage during the day... I could add to my list but I figure you get the picture by now. Since we are planning on living aboard, I am going to have to learn what I can live without. Any ideas? Please be nice

Ystanley
"Puggin' Along"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
Ystanley,

Living aboard and working on land, or living aboard and cruising?

Living aboard and going into the office everyday is much different than living aboard and cruising.

I do think that either way you have to start to consolidate the products and change to easier more straight forward styles.
Old 02-17-2009

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Really? 25

Wow.

I've got maybe 5....

Shampoo
Face wash
Moisturizer
Deodorant
Hair Gel (optional on boat)
Eyeliner (optional on boat
Eyeshadow (for when I get fancy)

being fit, being happy, is the BEST cosmetic...
Old 02-18-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Ours is a rather backward relationship. Cyn takes 10 minutes from alarm clock to out-the-door. She maintains wash-and-wear hair, no fancy makeup or nails, no purse. She carries eyeglasses, a small wallet, change purse, and cell phone, mostly in pockets, sometimes a small canvas bag. Eye liner and lipstick (one of each) on Friday night let's-have-martinis-out night. That's it.

I, on the other hand, can fret for 20 minutes over a wrinkled collar. My folded t-shirts make Felix Unger's look like dirty laundry. Fortunately, God took my hair, so I no longer have to worry about that! So I have been teaching myself, with Cyn's help, to let go, one by one, of all sorts of self imposed rules and rituals. The hardest part is recognizing that my angst is self imposed, and recognizing WHY I do this to myself. Usually the answer to 'why' is 'because this thing gives me some form of comfort that I have not yet found within my being'. My fist step of letting go is to find that comfort within myself. That Cyn is kind and patient, and helps me to see my self-imposed angst in a gentle and loving manner, is a blessing for which I am ever grateful. I can say that I cannot imagine doing this without an understanding, cooperative partner.
Old 02-18-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Ystanley -
Hi, and welcome. We've been living aboard for 6+ years, and I've got an office job. A couple of thoughts:
I counted all my products and I'm somewhere in between you and Admtrox and MMR.
A couple of ways to streamline: invest in a truly awesome haircut that works with your hair texture to be wash-and-wear. That lets you skip a lot of products (and save time in the AM). Now I'm down to just a brush and comb, shampoo, conditioner, shine spray, and bi-weekly clarifying shampoo. No iron, blow dryer, etc. I keep small travel size bottles of each in the locker in the head, and refill them from the large economy size jug which is stored in a less-convenient locker behind the settees. For cosmetics, many companies now offer multipurpose compact cases that you can fill with your choice of individual colors of eye shadow, blush, etc, and have everything in one small case.

That said, figure out whatever makes you feel like you're camping out, and don't compromise on that, or living aboard will feel confining very quickly. For me, its skin care - I have my own personal spa set of moisturizers, balms, toner, balancer and clay masque in a pretty wire basket that keeps me sane. For you it might be something else, but whatever it is, the small amount of space you dedicate to that non-essential is a big boost.

Office dress - pare your wardrobe down to just a few colors that work well together (you know what looks best on you, anyway). Then you can mix and match and get lots of looks from relatively few pieces, and you only need one or two sets/colors of accessories; jazz it up with a couple of scarves if you're into that. For example, mine are blues, white, and brown - no more wondering if you've picked the black socks or the navy ones out of the drawer in the semi-dark. Oh, yeah, and diamonds go with everything.

I love MMRs "fit and happy is the best cosmetic"
Old 02-18-2009

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
As far as shower products are concerned, I have a dispenser right in the shower stall that dispenses shampoo, body wash or liquid soap and hair conditioner and rinse. I, like Eryka, have a number of moisturizers with and without built in sunscreen.

I have a very casual office, so paring down the clothing is not difficult....shoes on the other hand. I tend to keep my office shoes in the car and switch to boat shoes when I get home.
Old 02-18-2009

ystanley is on a distinguished road
Thanks for being nice, I figured I'd get a lot of ribbing admitting how tied I am to my vanity. Our ventures are still a few years off but I will definatly have to learn to pare things down. I know there will be some things I simply can't part with. I think I will be able to give up some of my makeup but definatly not my sunscreen! I can even start to look for a different hair style in lieu of blow drying. I am not sure I will be ready to let the gray take over though. On open water I don't think I would have to worry so much about eyeshadow, liner, etc. but would not be willing to give this up in port. Thanks for all the good advice.

Ystanley
"Puggin' Along"
Old 02-20-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I would like to add my welcome as well. Everyone's advise is pretty much spot on. I have parred down also in the vanity. Basic stuff plus moisturizer. A Must Have on Board with the sun and wind. I keep my cosmetics in a simple little bag. If it doesn't fit in that I don't buy it. My wardrobe must be mix and match. If I cannot make 3 outfits out of them it also doesn't make it to the boat. Shoes on the other hand, I still haven't figure out what to do them; boat shoes. workout shoes, work shoes, causal shoes. They seem to consume to much space on the boat. When one adds the other half shoes well then you get the idea.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-20-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
HELLO,

I drift through here now, and then to get a ladies point of view. In this way I will beter understand where my love is coming from.

I personally think when you start cruising you will find your gray hair lovely against your new skin color....JMHO.......i2f
Old 02-20-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
HELLO,

I drift through here now, and then to get a ladies point of view. In this way I will beter understand where my love is coming from.

I personally think when you start cruising you will find your gray hair lovely against your new skin color....JMHO.......i2f
That's what I'm saying!!

Hi heels and "products" are for power-boat Mamas!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.