Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Like Eryka, I keep my hair braided up. When I wash it, I do a salt water wash and fresh water rinse. I leave in some hair conditioner to protect my hair from the sun. I usually wash my hair in the cockpit to keep my continuing falling out hair from clogging the drains. I have plastic strainers in both the shower and sink drains to keep from clogging up the pumps and hoses when I wash up.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Haven't gone cruising yet, but I have backpacked and camped for weeks a time where fresh water was a luxury.

If your hair is oily, sprinkle a bit of cornstarch on your scalp, rub it into your scalp, then brush it out. This works to absorb oil between washings.

If your hair is dry, TiGi After Party is a great smoothing cream that removes odors and restores moisture. The packaging is a bit bulky and awkward, but a little goes a long way so one can should last you for a long time. It uses no propellants so that is a definite advantage.

When my hair was longer ( to my waist) I used the cornstarch on my scalp, then a small bit of After Party on my ends, braided it up and went about my business. Be sure you use the cornstarch first other wise it will stick to the After Party which will requre you to wash your hair immediately, which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place.
Old 03-31-2009
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
Jacqueline

I have long hair (mid shoulder blade length), and live aboard full time, mostly at anchor.. And getting extra water is inconvenient. SO I have the same issue.

I have a solar shower that heats water if the weather is obliging enough (if not, then I boil some water in the kettle and mix a bucket with hot and cold to a bearable temperature.

I use either the solar shower, or my bucket of warm water to rinse my hair and wet it - making sure that the water I use falls into my bucket, so I can keep using the same water again and again until I feel my hair is wet enough. (I use a plastic drinking beaker that I use to scoop and pour)

I then soap up, and rinse my hair FIRST with the water from the bucket, this time letting it drain overboard or down the sink, and if more water is required, I use the water from the solar shower to finish off. I have a 5 gallon solar shower and can do 5 hair washes like this (skipping any conditioner phase).

If the sea water is warm and clean enough, then I take a swim, which acts gets the hair nice and wet - I then just use one beaker of water to rinse the salt water and find I can shampoo fine from that point forward.

Biggest water saving comes from the fact I probably only wash my hair every 3-5 days (depending on just how respectable I need to look or good I need to feel)

Also I keep a separate bucket to store rainwater (often recovered from inside the dinghy if we get enough rain, and the water I'm catching isn't salty), I then use that water to top up my solar shower.

I don't use any special brand of shampoo, just the cheapest I can find for the most part - but I do have it in a handy pump dispenser which somehow seems easier to manage. Ever so often I'll spoil myself and use conditioner, and this obviously takes a little more water (although you can always get the combined shampoo/conditioner if you feel regular conditioning is necessary).

My biggest issue with longer hair is not getting it clean, but finding the dry stuff all over the boat. For some reason it seems way worse than in a house, I find hair EVERYWHERE.. I've somehow conditioned my husband to agree it's not mine but "THAT WOMAN" (mystery woman) who is leaving hair all over the boat. I try to brush my hair out in the cockpit but still it finds its way everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2009

nmccubbin is on a distinguished road
My wife had great results for moths at a time with a common degergent, Joy.
Sold as Dawn in some countries. Same stuff
She used ONLY seawater.
The stuff is so cheap that she tried it at home with fresh water, but poor results.
Old 04-04-2009
Author in Hawaii

OrioninHawaii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OrioninHawaii
When I had hair to my waist and I braided it up tight all the time- it's crucial to use some kind of detangler (I used "mane and tail" diluted in a spray bottle and spritzed) - I also always found hair ALL OVER lol! I finally cut it really short and couldn't be happier...
When I'm not at the dock and needing to be presentable -- I can go for LONG times without washing it and I believe my hair is healthier because of it...
Old 04-05-2009
caymandj

caymandj is on a distinguished road
Smile

I would keep it braided. But an old fashioned way to clean hair (learned from my Great aunt Grace born 1878) is to take you stiff bristle boar brush(very old fashioned) and wrap a light amount of gauze around the bristles. So they can still punch thru. Brush your hair firmly-the gauze pulls a lot of the oil out of the hair. You can also use baby powder(on deck-downwind) and sprinkle it at scalp-work in with fingers and again brush out.

happy sailing

caydj
Old 04-05-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Rain water is just the best for washing hair(why would you filter it? I never did) The most economical way to wash my shoulder length hair on our boat was hang a solar shower bag from the boom positioning a bucket underneath,using the flow control wet hair then turn it offf while soaping and continue using flow control to rinse.Worked like a dream.
Old 04-19-2009

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
The multiple reports from ladies with long long hair raise a point of needed education. The surgical literature contains multiple reports of female workers getting long hair caught in power equipment. (Usually lathes or drill presses) The hair gets wrapped up in the shaft, and rips the scalp off the head. I can envisiom the same thing happening in an uncontrolled tack or jibe with hair getting tangled up in sheets flying off the winch, etc. We all know not to get fingers caught under lines on winches. Please also think about not getting long hair caught in lines.
Old 08-11-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongreerps View Post
The multiple reports from ladies with long long hair raise a point of needed education. The surgical literature contains multiple reports of female workers getting long hair caught in power equipment. (Usually lathes or drill presses) The hair gets wrapped up in the shaft, and rips the scalp off the head. I can envisiom the same thing happening in an uncontrolled tack or jibe with hair getting tangled up in sheets flying off the winch, etc. We all know not to get fingers caught under lines on winches. Please also think about not getting long hair caught in lines.
you are obviously not a lady with long hair-sounds kind of like a sexist comment rather than a legitimate suggestion regarding hair care.-i have had long hair in hospitals and on board boats forever--i refuse to cut my hair because some one is such a control freak that they have to insist on short hair for cruising. there is no reason for that--takes me 1 1/2 gal for shower with hair wash--i use a leave in conditioner and usually wear my hair pulled up into a pony tail or clip it up into a bun on my head for sailing. washing in salt water and then using 1 qt of fresh water to rinse is also a very good way to clean it..then a leave in conditioner. having long hair isnt a detriment. those who think that hair is gonna get caught in winches and in lines etc really donot know much about long hair and the females who wear it. or how to take proper care of hair. could be also a control issue and is in need of re-teaching.....LOL....think about it---buns and hair rolls and pony tails and braids have been in use for wearers of long hair for many centuries---isnt like re inventing the wheel or anything!!!!

by the way--JOY and DAWN are two entirely different soaps. joy is joy around the world. dawn is dawn around the world.....joy works in sea water. dawn sorta does--but not nearly as well.

Last edited by zeehag; 08-11-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: boatkat isnt a gud speeler
Old 04-15-2010

pmpcc is on a distinguished road
Best shampoo and conditioner ever - baking soda to wash and apple cider vingar to condition. Sounds weird and takes a little getting used to but as someone who would have no problem putting down $50 for "good" hair products from the salon, I swear by it!!!

There are lots of "no poo" shampoo receipes on the web, but I've found for my long and frizzy hair (thank you Florida humidity) that this is the best. 1 tablespoon of baking soda in about 1/2 cup of water - just rub in good at the scalp and pull through the ends. Rinse with plain water and follow with a rinse in the a 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water mix (I usually comb while the vingar is sitting). I usually give it a quick rinse again just to get the viegar smell out. A little styling cream or leave in conditioner or hairspray will take care of rest. Lemon juice will work too, really anything acidic will close the hair shaft and make it shiny. Lemon juice will also lighten your hair in sun (saving on those highlighting bills.)

Best part is that my showers take less time and there's less soap scum to clean. Would love to hear if anyone tries it or uses something similar.

CC

"There's nothing wrong with sobriety in moderation."
--John Ciandi