Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongreerps View Post
The multiple reports from ladies with long long hair raise a point of needed education. The surgical literature contains multiple reports of female workers getting long hair caught in power equipment. (Usually lathes or drill presses) The hair gets wrapped up in the shaft, and rips the scalp off the head. I can envisiom the same thing happening in an uncontrolled tack or jibe with hair getting tangled up in sheets flying off the winch, etc. We all know not to get fingers caught under lines on winches. Please also think about not getting long hair caught in lines.
i have been sailing since age 7 with long and short hair. is not gonna get caught in a winch or a block and tackle any more than a man's external plumbing is going to ....lol i have to laugh at the male knowledge overload that i have witnessed in sailing..lol..i believe the sexism is a part of testosterone insecurity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpcc View Post
Best shampoo and conditioner ever - baking soda to wash and apple cider vingar to condition. Sounds weird and takes a little getting used to but as someone who would have no problem putting down $50 for "good" hair products from the salon, I swear by it!!!

There are lots of "no poo" shampoo receipes on the web, but I've found for my long and frizzy hair (thank you Florida humidity) that this is the best. 1 tablespoon of baking soda in about 1/2 cup of water - just rub in good at the scalp and pull through the ends. Rinse with plain water and follow with a rinse in the a 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water mix (I usually comb while the vingar is sitting). I usually give it a quick rinse again just to get the viegar smell out. A little styling cream or leave in conditioner or hairspray will take care of rest. Lemon juice will work too, really anything acidic will close the hair shaft and make it shiny. Lemon juice will also lighten your hair in sun (saving on those highlighting bills.)

Best part is that my showers take less time and there's less soap scum to clean. Would love to hear if anyone tries it or uses something similar.
I'm going to try this and hope it works for my hair type! Seems very efficient (and yeah, I'm another one who'll plunk down $50 for salon products as long as they work)
Old 04-16-2010

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
zeehag, I think dongreerps wasn't saying to cut your hair, he was saying just to be aware of it as something that could happen. I hope thats right. The first step of safety is knowing something could happen.
Old 04-17-2010

Ocean2Free is on a distinguished road
Hi Sailingdog, I am curious on your point of needing to filtering rain water, could you share with me the background to this. Best Regards O2F
Old 04-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean2Free View Post
Hi Sailingdog, I am curious on your point of needing to filtering rain water, could you share with me the background to this. Best Regards O2F
Rain water often has particulates and dust in it, which are the core that the rain drops form around...so you'd probably want to filter it to get rid of these before washing with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2010

cruisingmom is on a distinguished road
long hair

My daughter and I both had long hair, washed in salt water ( Joy soap), and rinse with fresh. A pitcher off the back or the dinghy worked well. We were often anchoring at night, which is easier to manage. some conditioner at the ends helps.
Old 04-18-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
my wife keeps her hair in braids - says it can go much longer between washes that way.
Old 04-19-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Folks,

I'm going to be deleting some posts from this thread.

In case any reminder is necessary, this is the "Her Sailnet" forum and these are the rules we apply here:

Quote:
This is a forum that is primarily BY and FOR the female members of Sailnet where they can post and share questions and concerns with others in an adult and rational way. It is not:
1. A place for the men of sailnet to post "want ads"
2. A place where conversation, language and content will be permitted to degenerate into "locker room" standards that may be acceptable in the off topic forum.

Moderators will manage this sub-forum more aggressively and delete posts and threads that do not meet this higher standard as we try to carve out a more female friendly place within Sailnet.
We encourage our female members to find a home here and to report any posts you find objectionable using the "report post" icon in the top right corner of each message.
Thanks in advance to all for your cooperation.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-21-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
washing in salt and rinsing in fresh works great--i also throw on some leave in conditioner so i can brush it without great pain..lol..no more tangles works, but i use a greasier kind in a pink bottle(plastic)....and i donot filter my rainwater---especially when i get it at sea.....
Old 04-21-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
This is the male half of our crew, but I too have long hair just as long as she does, and I am finding this thread interesting and very helpful.