Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that there are quite a few rinseless shampoos and conditioners that seem to work fairly well. They're often used by hospitals and such... where the person is bed ridden and can not be moved to a bath tub or sink...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2010

flysci is on a distinguished road
Wink Cover it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
my wife keeps her hair in braids - says it can go much longer between washes that way.
I find something similar works for me. I twist it up, pin it down, and wear a hat. I find my hair stays clean much longer, and the twist leaves a nice curl when I do let it down (instead of the straw like style I get when it blows free in the wind!). The hat also helps keep stray strands from blowing in my eyes, and shades my face/eyes from the sun.

This approach also will keep it out of dangerous equipment, of all kinds .

Our ancestors knew keeping it covered really works to lengthen time between washings of long hair; they used a variety of caps, bonnets, scarves, etc. to cover up except for special occasions.

Margo
Old 11-24-2010
planet wanderer

seashine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hair it is!

My hair is down to my waist and as fine as a toddler's so wind and it cause a hell of a mess! On passage I simply plait it and oil it with macadamia or almond oil, even coconut oil in the tropics - like women all around the world in places of limited water. It never gets itchy if I do this, and when we find ourselves with an abundance of rainwater, or there's a downpour, I get out on deck and lather up. If it's a long passage in cooler waters I have washed it in heated seawater and rinsed off with one large cupful (~400ml) of heated fresh water with a tspn of vinegar - seems to cut through the salt best and no skipper worth sailing with would ever dare complain about a measly cupful of fresh water! Best of all, the oil makes it shiny and soft when we get to shore, which makes me feel like a veritable princess

BTW: always best to brush or comb outside so no hair can foul bilge pumps...
Old 11-25-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i have found that the rinseless stuff leaves a residue to which i am allergic, as well as making the hair nasty. i dont like the results, is so easy to do a decent wash with real water.
..i am able to wash mine is sea water and rinse with small amt of fresh-- works so well. i let sun heat the salt water for this..then i wind mine into a knot for drying--i keep bound up normally anyway.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 11-27-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
I've got the solution!

Seriously...Dont' know if anyone else mentioned this, but keep your hair up while working with lines and winches. Otherwise, you might end up looking like me, and I know you don't want that! On the other hand, you won't have to worry about shampoo or cream rinse.
Attached Thumbnails
What about long hair?-bill-reduced.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 11-29-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
cute head, dude-- havent had that problem as yet-- been sailing since age 7....am old now----still have all mine... but i am a gurlee....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 12-03-2010
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Hello all

I've not spent any extended time offshore (week or two at a time) but my boat is rather... well... lean on accommodation. All I have is a solar shower.

My wash technique is to focus on the scalp and not wash the ends too much. I like shampoo bars which are easily portable and also are good for this technique of, shall we say, 'focused washing?'

I also use oils. And I'm rather particular about them. I have found that mineral oils will cause my hair to break, as also do things like Skin so Soft (which has mineral oil), other bug sprays and spray-on sunscreens.

I rather like almond oil and coconut oil. Almond doesn't firm up when the temps drop so it's a bit handier. And for cost's sake I buy food-grade oils which can be found relatively inexpensively in Asian markets in the US. Packaged-for-hair oils, I find, tend to be mixed with mineral oils and are far more expensive.

As for technique: if I'm going to wear it down I just take a tiny bit (fingernail's worth) and apply to the ends. Usually when under sail I'll slather my hair and braid it up. When we charter I find someone who's doing braiding and get 'rows done. Then I can dive to my heart's content and all I have to do is rinse and oil.

I am so glad to hear that other people have hairy boats... I was beginning to think I was having some sort of alopecia, I think it's called
Old 12-03-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I've never tried oil, maybe I don't understand? I would think it would attract dirt??? How do you do this, just the hair especially toward the ends, and not the scalp? How does it extend the time between washing? Normally I'm good for about 4 days between washing unless its particularly sweaty weather. Does it take even more soap than normal to get out? Does it make your hair yellowish? (Sorry, I'm a mass of questions here!)

And yes, I shed too, we're constantly finding long, pale hairs on our boat. Unless I've had it braided - then I don't shed until the day I take the braids out, at which time I get the entire 2 weeks worth of shedding in one huge inundation.
Old 12-04-2010
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Hi Eryka

Your application of oil will vary, so I'd just say try a little at a time and see what works for you.

I don't find that a light application (to the ends when wet) attracts dirt per se, but if I'm doing the slather thing, it'll be, well, oily.

But then again, I'm applying a heavy coat (slathering) for protection and in that case certainly braiding it up so who cares? If anything a thick application of oil will slick back the short hairs and keep that stuff out of my face. If I'm racing I will grease my head ;-) and braid it back tight.

I don't find that it takes more soap to get out, not the food oils, anyway. I love shampoo bars, and I get mine from Chagrin Valley. Not cheap but easily transportable, go a long way, I like them for boat purposes especially

BTW olive oil is also highly recommended although I'm not that all about the scent. You can, though, add a few drops of essential oil to your hair oil and get a more pleasant scent.

I can't imagine that oil would colour your hair in any way, but I'm a brunette and I expect I wouldn't know if it did.

I don't know if y'all are familiar with the Long Hair fora, but they're a wealth of info on care and also on ***hair toys!!!***

The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - Powered by vBulletin

I think that was all your questions, yes?
Old 12-04-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Thanx multi! I love the smell of Kemi Oil but at about a dollar an ounce I haven't bought any recently; think I'll try leaving a bit in next time. (Going to experiment over the winter here where we're dockside.) Will also check out your link. Yeah, what I need, another web forum to spend time in ...

And laughing at your comment about being a brunette, you can see my hair color in my pic. Everything affects it; if I spend too long in a swimming pool, the chlorine turns it Crayola-crayon green.