SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   What about long hair? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/52950-what-about-long-hair.html)

JacquelineHaden 03-30-2009 11:41 AM

What about long hair?

I am getting ready to set out on some serious sailing in our 27' Norsea. We will do not have a water maker so water will be a rationed commodity. I have long hair and really don't want to cut it...anyone have suggestions on how to keep it clean without using water?

Cruisingdad 03-30-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineHaden (Post 468332)
I am getting ready to set out on some serious sailing in our 27' Norsea. We will do not have a water maker so water will be a rationed commodity. I have long hair and really don't want to cut it...anyone have suggestions on how to keep it clean without using water?

You can wash it in salt water, but not sure your hair will be happy with it! Would you like me to move this into the HerSailnet Forum? I think the gals of our forum may have some suggestions.

Brian

sailingdog 03-30-2009 12:35 PM

They do sell waterless shampoos that don't require rinsing...

JacquelineHaden 03-30-2009 12:40 PM

CD, I would appreciate it very much.. I couldn't find the thread....and thank you sailing dog...I will look for those products

rayncyn51 03-30-2009 01:03 PM

Check out the book "Care and Feeding of Sailboat Crew" by Lin Pardey. She has many good tips on living on a boat with limited water, including taking care of long hair.

sailingdog 03-30-2009 01:04 PM

One brand can be found here. Glad to help.

imagine2frolic 03-30-2009 01:33 PM

Those jugs for insect poisin you spray the garden with. That is a good way to rinse hair. I met alady with hair to her waist, and thick as can be. This is what she used with help from her husband.

My wife finally got tired of her long hair on the boat, and cut it. I did the same thing about 18 years ago.....BEST WISHES in finding a solution to keep your hair long......i2f

quidam1947 03-30-2009 02:07 PM

Other than making it (fresh water) a condition for living aboard, you might try catching rain water. I've washed my long(ish) hair in sea water (less foam) and followed with minimal fresh water rinsing. I didn't wash it as often as I'd like to, though. Also, its wasn't that often that we didn't have access to fresh water sources.

Michele

sailingdog 03-30-2009 02:42 PM

rain water is probably pretty good for the hair if you filter it properly. :)

eryka 03-31-2009 08:40 AM

Hi Jacqueline,

I considered not replying to this thread just because now I'm busted that my avatar photo is pretty old - my hair has grown out to where it is now just past shoulder-length, and I'm not sure I want to cut it either. Mostly I keep it braided - picks up less dirt that way, and I don't really want it whipping me in the face in the wind anyway - and wash it less often but indulge in the water when I do. With salt water I find less of a need to soap my hair than I had anticipated anyway, it's clean, just salty, and often I can get by with a fresh water rinse and conditioner with UV protection. (I use Aruba Aloe brand when I can get it)