Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009
Newly wed

JacquelineHaden is on a distinguished road
Question What about long hair?

I am getting ready to set out on some serious sailing in our 27' Norsea. We will do not have a water maker so water will be a rationed commodity. I have long hair and really don't want to cut it...anyone have suggestions on how to keep it clean without using water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineHaden View Post
I am getting ready to set out on some serious sailing in our 27' Norsea. We will do not have a water maker so water will be a rationed commodity. I have long hair and really don't want to cut it...anyone have suggestions on how to keep it clean without using water?
You can wash it in salt water, but not sure your hair will be happy with it! Would you like me to move this into the HerSailnet Forum? I think the gals of our forum may have some suggestions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 03-30-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They do sell waterless shampoos that don't require rinsing...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2009
Newly wed

JacquelineHaden is on a distinguished road
CD, I would appreciate it very much.. I couldn't find the thread....and thank you sailing dog...I will look for those products
Old 03-30-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Check out the book "Care and Feeding of Sailboat Crew" by Lin Pardey. She has many good tips on living on a boat with limited water, including taking care of long hair.
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One brand can be found here. Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-30-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Those jugs for insect poisin you spray the garden with. That is a good way to rinse hair. I met alady with hair to her waist, and thick as can be. This is what she used with help from her husband.

My wife finally got tired of her long hair on the boat, and cut it. I did the same thing about 18 years ago.....BEST WISHES in finding a solution to keep your hair long......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-30-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Other than making it (fresh water) a condition for living aboard, you might try catching rain water. I've washed my long(ish) hair in sea water (less foam) and followed with minimal fresh water rinsing. I didn't wash it as often as I'd like to, though. Also, its wasn't that often that we didn't have access to fresh water sources.

Michele
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

rain water is probably pretty good for the hair if you filter it properly.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-31-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Hi Jacqueline,

I considered not replying to this thread just because now I'm busted that my avatar photo is pretty old - my hair has grown out to where it is now just past shoulder-length, and I'm not sure I want to cut it either. Mostly I keep it braided - picks up less dirt that way, and I don't really want it whipping me in the face in the wind anyway - and wash it less often but indulge in the water when I do. With salt water I find less of a need to soap my hair than I had anticipated anyway, it's clean, just salty, and often I can get by with a fresh water rinse and conditioner with UV protection. (I use Aruba Aloe brand when I can get it)