SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

sailing braless!

131K views 264 replies 116 participants last post by  thecrabbycaptain 
#1 ·
yes or no? for me it's no. unless i'm close to port and have guests other then women.

#7 ·
I often think of the scene in the old movie "flash dance" where the girl removes her bra from under her sweat shirt very casually while in front of her love interest, most definitely a useful method for undergarment removal!

Reactions: johnkt
#8 ·
Counterintuitively, when it's hot out, it's yes. Wearing a light wicking sports bra is way cooler and more comfortable than sweating without. They dry quickly after being soaked too, faster than many bathing suits.

I remember the Flashdance scene. I think most women are good at that move, but many guys didn't know about it until then.

#9 ·
A female crew member got tagged on the nipple by a flailing line while bra-less. A bra or swim top was always worn after that.

Reactions: Thermophile
#13 ·
LOL... you and my wife would have gotten along quite well... :)

#15 ·
Ugh, none for me if I can avoid it. They leave such horrible tan lines! :D

But seriously, I agree with the previous poster that it can sometimes be cooler with than without.

#19 ·
Just be aware that cotton shirts, especially wet ones... provide little or no UV protection, and a really nasty sunburn can be the result. :

#21 ·
In the whitewater river guide business, I had a hard and fast rule. No bra s in the boat. It is a hazard. When someone hits the cold water, they could have a diaphram spasm. I think a restriction around the thoracic area could hinder resperations. Worked every time!

#27 ·
On a close subject...

I've found women crew prefer inflatable PFDs. I asked one time why. The reply was they were more female anatomy "friendly." I carry two inflatable PFDs and, when handing out PFDs prior to sailing, make sure they go to the women onboard first.

As far as the bra question, I'd think a sports bra would be best. Sailing is, after all, a "Sport" ... isn't it? However, as a guy, no bra also works just as well on my boat.

I hadn't thought about an underwire messing with a compass. I guess any metal in clothing with a potential ferous content could do it. Thanks for the tip.

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

#32 ·
On Kanau the rule is BOAT SHOES ONLY. Boat bras, boat panties, boat hats, boat skirts, boat blouses I suppose might be okay - but they don't seem to be sold anywhere. So we just do without - saves on laundry, makes the voyage much more interesting, and hey, :chaserour choice of anchorages!

Alright, I confess we put stuff back on when we're within eyeshot of others - but on board it's usually just the two of us, and we've got a bimini that covers the whole cockpit to keep the sun off the more tender regions. We hate those pesky tan lines.

I can't believe there are so many conservative sailors. Wind is free, sunshine is free. And I have always felt that if God intended us to be naked we would have been born that way.:laugher

Reactions: Chas H and OZWILD
#40 ·
On Kanau the rule is BOAT SHOES ONLY. Boat bras, boat panties, boat hats, boat skirts, boat blouses I suppose might be okay - but they don't seem to be sold anywhere. So we just do without - saves on laundry, makes the voyage much more interesting, and hey, :chaserour choice of anchorages!

Alright, I confess we put stuff back on when we're within eyeshot of others - but on board it's usually just the two of us, and we've got a bimini that covers the whole cockpit to keep the sun off the more tender regions. We hate those pesky tan lines.

I can't believe there are so many conservative sailors. Wind is free, sunshine is free. And I have always felt that if God intended us to be naked we would have been born that way.:laugher
I certainly understand!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.