Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandGirl View Post
Sad-but-true moral of the story, I guess, is that guys on boats -- even sailboats -- behave badly; and a girl should be prepared to deal with it.
Now InGirl, please. This is like saying all women on boats hate being attractive.

Granted, most dudes can get a bit randy at the drop of a hat. So the answer is, obviously, don't drop your hat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
You mean the very act of just getting a woman on to my boat isn't an instant panty-remover?

I've been lied to!

Look for me in the classifieds.. gonna sell the boat and buy a 70's Camaro! That'll work! ... ... ... right?
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 11-15-2010

InlandGirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Granted, most dudes can get a bit randy at the drop of a hat. So the answer is, obviously, don't drop your hat.
OK, Smack, I'll give you an example. Last weekend, I spent a couple of hours out on the lake with a guy I hadn't sailed with before. We had a good time, but all sailing-focused and totally nonflirtatious. Fine. Then the wind died down, so we were heading back to the harbor under sail, but pretty slowly so there was not much to do but sit and talk. Conversation, as I recall, was pretty random and totally innocuous - recent travel; annoying airline rules; the lake levels; and boat & trailer maintenance in the offseason. And then this:
Inland: So you only repack your trailer bearings once every 5 years or so?
Crew (suddenly giving me The Look): Can I kiss you right now?
Inland: WTF????
I have to admit, it sounds hilarious, but this is about the fifth time this year something like this has happened to me, and it's getting really old. If anyone can explain to me where I dropped the hat, I'd be grateful.
Old 11-15-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. If you don't know by now that the "...repack your trailer bearings..." line is the classic female-to-male hook-up invite in every Pep-Boys-adjacent bar in the US...you're missing the obvious. That was the hat drop.

No, seriously...able sailing chicks are hot. That's all there is to it. There's nothing you can do about that - other than change your style and hang out at Macy's. And that would just suck.

Just find more single dudes to sail with and you're golden!

Old 11-15-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Oh come on, we all know what "repack your trailer bearings" means!
It involves lube, and a shaft, and BALL bearings and...

Wait... you mean you were actually talking about trailer maintenance?
Old 11-15-2010

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Just tell them, "I just want to be friends", before they get onboard. Although the sign, "No, I DON'T want to sleep with you!", Inland girl", wouldn't hurt either.

Just think about the situation. Here is a married man doing the sport he loves the most with another woman, ....where's the wife??? The fact that your sitting there in her place on a boat alone with a man, (her man), and she isn't! Pretty much says it all right there. If advances are unwanted, (the man is expected to move first and take his chances), You'll just have to make it clear upfront. Don't worry we're used to disapointment.
Old 11-15-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Either you are hanging with some real losers, or you're the hottest thing on the planet? You claim every man you come in contact with hits on you while sailing? Something here is just not right. I know men think with the little brain, but 100% is really over the top.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 11-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandGirl View Post
OK, Smack, I'll give you an example. Last weekend, I spent a couple of hours out on the lake with a guy I hadn't sailed with before. We had a good time, but all sailing-focused and totally nonflirtatious. Fine. Then the wind died down, so we were heading back to the harbor under sail, but pretty slowly so there was not much to do but sit and talk. Conversation, as I recall, was pretty random and totally innocuous - recent travel; annoying airline rules; the lake levels; and boat & trailer maintenance in the offseason. And then this:
Inland: So you only repack your trailer bearings once every 5 years or so?
Crew (suddenly giving me The Look): Can I kiss you right now?
Inland: WTF????
I have to admit, it sounds hilarious, but this is about the fifth time this year something like this has happened to me, and it's getting really old. If anyone can explain to me where I dropped the hat, I'd be grateful.
Almost the same thing happened to me, but switched. My wife was even on board!! We were sailing back, the wind died down, I laid back in the cockpit and closed my eyes then BAM! Uncalled for and unwanted smooch right across the lips. Never, EVER, let your guard down when sailing.

Here's the gal that gave the smooch. She is even wanting to sleep in the bed with me... but that ain't happenin'. I draw the line, and she knows it, but she still keeps trying.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-15-2010
Last Man Standing

I just threw up a little bit.

Old 11-15-2010

InlandGirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Either you are hanging with some real losers, or you're the hottest thing on the planet? You claim every man you come in contact with hits on you while sailing? Something here is just not right. I know men think with the little brain, but 100% is really over the top.....i2f
No, I never said "every man," and I certainly make no claims about hotness. I've probably sailed with 15 different people this year, and only four of them have been creepy. (One made advances twice, and I had to get angry, so now we don't talk, and there's awkwardness at the club.) Four is still too many, though. Because one or two longtime YC-buddies have metamorphosed into creeps when they crewed for me, I'm starting to get suspicious of the decent guys too. Wouldn't you?

It's also no fun to feel like I have to be super-careful about every word and every action because it might be misinterpreted as a 'hat drop.' When I say "trim a little more - yeah, that's good" I don't appreciate the crew leering back at me like I've just said something obscene. (That was another WTF?? moment this summer. It's just sail trim, pal: take it easy.)

The point I was trying to make was that crew shouldn't assume that they get other privileges. Sometimes sailing is only sailing. That's all.

@cruisingdad: