Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Denise—

Everyone knows women can't sail a boat by themselves... Look at Ellen McArthur, Donna Lange, Jessica Watson, Dee Caffari, Maude Fontenoy... failures, all of them...

Hmm... maybe those women would not be the best examples for me to pick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'd point out that SailingDog did not use the Subjunctive form of any verb in his past post. I think that requires a salute to all wimyn, women everywhere.
Things are changing a bit in the Navy and MSC and women are officers in command and are not to be dealt with lightly because of preconceived notions.
I am always a secondary person on board when the owner of a boat takes command. I don't have to like their decisions but it matters less to me whether they are male or female.
As SD noted there are plenty of female skippers who know their stuff and why kick up a bunch of dust over such stupid stuff.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-12-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Dhays may be in fact correct. I certainly don't know the details myself but wouldn't her experience be known to the other brokers? Is it possible that she is feeling like a victim of sexism?
Many times the selling brokers don't know her sailing resume. I actually suggested that when she is submitting offers, she also submit a short sailing resume of herself so the broker will know of her experience and qualifications. She may consider doing that.

She is a woman my own age (52), and when I suggested that maybe the other brokers coming along has nothing to do with their lack of trust in her seamanship but maybe more in the desire of her company, she didn't give that argument much credence.

She is also not one prone to radical feminism. She is just getting mildly annoyed at this consistent pattern.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 09-13-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I would just suggest she assert her rights loud an clear. There is nothing radical or non-ladylike about demanding what one is due in business. If brokers are anything like other business people, they don't look to share and or include another, unless it's demanded or well explained up front. Is this also situation also affecting her income?

my current "project"!
Old 09-14-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Denise, if you're taking your boat through the Ballard Locks in Seattle, whoever's at the helm is addressed as 'captain' or'skipper', gender be damned. We're all pretty much idiots in the lyckmyns'/ wYmn's eyes. Vowels are just over rated. Just replace them all with 'y'.
Old 09-14-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hi marks for Seattle!

my current "project"!
Old 09-14-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Same experience on the ICW south of Norfolk, VA; whoever was on the VHF was just "Cap'n" But I also like just replacing the vowels with "y" oops, already halfway there with "eryka"