Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Melrna! very eloquently put! thank you!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
I would have to take a down grade in rank to be a Captain.

That's MY admiral hat in the pic... yeah, the Toy Story cap!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 12-28-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
We always used 'Skipper' while racing - referring to the owner.

Now that we own the boat; driver = skipper. If you can't get past the stereotypical gender hang ups - better stay home. We both are taking our 100-Ton captains classes this winter. We should both be licensed by the put-in time.
Old 01-11-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
I collect titles and thanks to an online church I am now any amalgamation of

Reverend
Dr.
Captain

As in, "The Reverend Dr Livia says" or "The Captain Dr Livia reports"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

Last edited by Livia; 01-11-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
I believe that In Europe the Word Captain is not usually used on yachting.

The British and most of the Nordic countries use the word skipper and in the south it is Patrón or Patrão. Anyway in this thread there are lot of examples of female Captains on commercial shipping, pleasure boats and airplanes, but nobody talked about sail racing boats. I would say that in Europe, some of the more popular racing skippers are women.

On a popularity contest probably the name of Ellen MacArthur will come first and not because of her looks but because she has raced with men and has beaten the best of them in some of the most difficult and hard sailing races on the planet. I don’t know of other physical sport where women can beat the best men.

Last Vendée Globe (around the world nonstop solo race) Samantha Davies finished 4th, among 30 of the world’s thoughest and best sailors. Dee Caffardi finished 6th. Did I say that they were the only two women between 28 men? And can you guess who had the biggest party on arrival?

Sure, they are different; Samantha danced around her boat at the sound of pop music while she was leaving behind most men. But I would say that I appreciate her style.

So, if they are not called captains, I don’t know, but I am sure they are called skippers and some of them are between the best sailors I know off.

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-11-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I am an officer in the Navy (not holding the rank of Captain) and I will not refer to someone as Captain merely because they are the owner of a yacht (pleasure vessel). I, certainly, will not ask to be referred to as Captain on my own boat. However, I do demand that my orders are obeyed by passengers (for safety of equipment, personnel, and the ship). Once the title is appropriatelly earned, it makes no difference what the sex, creed, or color of the person is.

Womyn, by the way? That immediatelly puts this thread into an interesting context to ponder mutual respect from. Let's not establish a double standard here. "Women and men" is obviously not a standard by which to judge a person ... but I can't see how womyn are any different than female chauvinists and, therefore, no more worthy of respect than male chauvinists.

In summary, a woman or a man should be referred to as Captain if, in fact, they have earned the title.
Old 01-11-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
OK, so pleasure boaters don't get titled because it's not a serious endeavor?

Titles are earned, by education, station, or respect and also in the military, where it is tradition and law.

I don't think anyone demands to be called captain, I generally call anyone at the helm captain on any vessel.

Womyn is a fun way of spelling that I picked up in the 70s. To take it farther, it's used by some feminists.. some angry some not..some just don't care anymore.

Melrna's comments are very well expressed. There is no attempt here to divide M & F It's just a simple fact of life..which happily is changing! Wimin generally won't be addressed as captain. Unless a female, asserts by knowledge or action or someone "corrects" the casual watchers will almost always look for a male to address as captain, as also stated by a few replies here.

I loved it actually when my son was being called captain on my boat. I could see it made him feel special and it made me kind of proud. When my friends call me captain I get a little embarrassed that I've earned their respect.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-11-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fiministing?
Old 01-12-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
That's right. Pleasure boaters don't earn the title of Captain, unless they have earned the title of Captain. Merely owning a boat does not grant the title (that would make you the "owner"). Commanding the helm does not grant the title (that would make you the "helmsman"). He who navigates would be the quartermaster. When you are working on the deck you are either boatswain or deckhand.

Unless licensed (or commissioned) as such, I do not consider someone a Captain simply because they both own, operate, and maintain a pleasure boat. The title of Captain should be respected for the tradition it represents and all those in the past who spent decades at sea before earning the right and the title.

These, of course, are my opinions. I stick by them though. I, for example, will not join a yacht club. It is distasteful that members are called Captains and the richest member is called Admiral.

Does sailing really need to provide you with more than the sensation and reality? Is a title, as well, really necessary?
Old 01-12-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
By definition, the title "Captain" does not denote that a person has demonstrated a high level of skill in the art and science of seamanship. It simply refers to any person who is in command of a vessel, and who is thus charged by law with responsibility for the operation of the vessel.

If the Coast Guard boards your boat, one of the first questions they'll ask is "Who is the Captain?" In asking that question, they are not trying to determine who knows the most about seamanship. They want to know who is in command of the boat, because, if they are going to cite anyone for a violation, that's the person who is going to get the ticket, even if he is the least skilled person aboard.

The designation of "captain" is not a title of nobility. Anyone who is in command of a boat is legally the "Captain," regardless of his skill level, and regardless of whether it is a military, commercial, or pleasure vessel.

A person who holds a captain's license deserves respect, not because he is called a captain, because anyone who commands any vessel is a captain, but he deserves respect because the license signifies that he has demonstrated a high degree of knowledge and skill in seamanship. The same is true of the captain of a military or commercial vessel.
outdooress likes this.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 01-12-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

"I, for example, will not join a yacht club. It is distasteful that members are called Captains and the richest member is called Admiral."

WHAAAAA????

me thinks somebody has an axe to grind!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-12-2010 at 09:44 AM.