Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I believe that In Europe the Word Captain is not usually used on yachting.

The British and most of the Nordic countries use the word skipper ... I would say that in Europe, some of the more popular racing skippers are women.
Last Vendée Globe (around the world nonstop solo race) Samantha Davies finished 4th, among 30 of the world’s thoughest and best sailors. Dee Caffardi finished 6th. Did I say that they were the only two women between 28 men? And can you guess who had the biggest party on arrival?

Sure, they are different; Samantha danced around her boat at the sound of pop music while she was leaving behind most men. But I would say that I appreciate her style.

So, if they are not called captains, I don’t know, but I am sure they are called skippers and some of them are between the best sailors I know off.

Regards

Paulo
Ladies, I have the pleasure to tell you, that Sam (Samantha Davies) has won the title of best Yachtsman of the year (Great-Britain). I mean not the best between women, but the best sailor, men and women altogether.

Sam Davies wins 2009 YJA Pantaenius Yachtsman of the Year - Telegraph

It seems that I am not the only one that thinks she is a great sailor and a sailor with a great style.

YouTube - ROXY - SAMANTHA DAVIES

YouTube - Vendée Globe Arrivée de Samantha Davies aux Sables

Dailymotion - Vendee Globe 2008 2009 teaser - une vidéo Sports et Extrême
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2010

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Last summer we pulled into Syracuse marina on Sicily to reprovision and prepare ourselves for our last leg of our delivery. I was first mate and my partner Manny was Captain. When the Police came through the marina to check ships papers and crew passports (a random spot check, since we had already cleared in to the European community), Manny wasn't on board. So I greeted them with our organized file of paperwork in hand.

There were two officers. One female and one male. Upon seeing how organized our paperwork was, the female officer burst into smile and began to shout "Viva la Donna, Viva la donna...". And each time I would answer their request for some detail or another she would burst into her "Viva la donna" again.

When we arrived back at our home base after a two month delivery, all our neighbouring sailors just assumed that I had waited a home while Manny did the job. "Oh YOU were on board too!"

Ya win some...ya loose some.... but we still go sailing.

Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2010

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I followed that Vendee Globe race closely and was so impressed by Samantha's skill as a racing sailor and her enaging personality. I ahve to aggree with the those who awarded her that honor...Roxy had Moxy!!
Old 04-18-2010

Ladies, can I call your atention for this thread?:

SOLO or DUO TRANSATLANTIC RACES

About a big Trasatlantic race (Figaro AG2R). They are all racing on equal boats (33ft Figaro Benetau).

There are three women on that race. 2 are on the head of the race, porsuing the leader.

The race has live coverage, so you can just follow in real time.

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-23-2010

Ladies,

I thought you would like to know that Jeanne (a French girl) is leading one of the BIG professional transatlantic races. Sam Davies is not faraway.

All crews (two) race with identical boats.

You can follow (direct GPS coverage) here:

Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2010

and here:

SOLO or DUO TRANSATLANTIC RACES

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-25-2010

For the ones that like Sam Davies (an English Girl):

She is leading the Figaro Transat. With a Fantastic move she recovered 60 miles on a day and is leading with 10 miles over the second. With a 33ft boat she is doing almost 11k, pointing in the right direction. probably she is going to be the first to pass Canary Islands.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-12-2010

Ladies,

The AG2R Transat is over.

Sam Davies did not win, but finished 4rd. The winner is Le Cleac'h one of the best Solo sailors (second on the last Vendee globe). Jeanne finished second, 50 minutes later on a race that lasted more than 22 days.

They left behind more than 20 boats, crewed by some of the best solo sailors on the planet. This was a duo crewed sail, but both girls were the captain in their boats.

Between the first and the 4th, at the finish, the difference was about 10 miles in a 3890 miles race. That's close

A movie with the winners, at the finish (and both girls) and some of the best movies of that race:

Le Figaro - La Solitaire
YouTube - Transat AG2R La Mondiale - grands surfs dans les alizés - 29 avril
YouTube - Transat AG2R La Mondiale - 28 avril Images de Stamm et Troussel
YouTube - Transat AG2R La Mondiale - 25 avril - images de Samantha Davies sur Saveol

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-12-2010

rotrax is on a distinguished road
My wife has eight years sailing experience.We co-own the boat.She takes on the role of skipper from time to time and is very good at it.The R.Y.A.training in the U.K.is very good both in the classroom and on the water.She invariably helms when docking or picking up a buoy.We dont use captain much in leisure sailing,it is more of a proffesional term.Last year in florida on a sport fishing boat we met a lady captain of an oil rig supply vessel.I expect she is pretty busy right now!
Old 05-14-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I think this thread has shown that "captain" is mostly a professional term, and gender makes less difference every year, as more women (who have been graduating from the sea service and merchant marine academies for over 30 years now) command ships, or pilot the big ships around seaports. Maybe the inland towing industry is the last in the bunch to move women from the galley into the wheelhouse, but they're starting to do it, too.

It's kind of pompous to expect the moniker (other than in friendly jest) on a small to medium pleasure boat, unless you're dealing with port officials.

But if you're on the VHF, you'll routinely say, and be called, "captain", since the FCC regs sort of presume the speaker is a captain or delegated mate, an "acting captain". Since you may not initially know to whom you're speaking, it's the benefit of the doubt. I'll say "thanks, Cap" to whoever responds to my radio check, even if it's a dockman somewhere. And you're hearing a lot more female voices around the commercial ports, and at sea.
Old 05-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
men are sirred.. women are "hon, babe, sweety" in the same given situation Tom just the way it is in many walks of life.

My boat is for sale.