SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Womyn are never called Captain (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/60079-womyn-never-called-captain.html)

deniseO30 11-24-2009 06:05 PM

Womyn are never called Captain

Really? Well it's rare that I'm called Cap'n Denise :D

So Ladies, what is your take on this title that is so very difficult to obtain?

Yeah.. my son was called captain when we were on my boat at times.

It doesn't really bother me.. it's not like I'm into tonnage and charters but I makes me smile when I do hear; "captain"

blt2ski 11-24-2009 06:17 PM

Sorry, she's the Admiral on my boat, I'm the cabin boy!

Seriously tho......

I do know of a few women that "ARE" "Captains" in there own right. Including two that brought/bring boats.....well, "ships" into puget sound! then took them out later to the entrance to the st of juan de fuca only to hop off onto a smaller 20' somthing, then hop onto a ladder or equal and bring another "ship" into port!

Marty

knothead 11-24-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 545178)
Really? Well it's rare that I'm called Cap'n Denise :D

So Ladies, what is your take on this title that is so very difficult to obtain?

Yeah.. my son was called captain when we were on my boat at times.

It doesn't really bother me.. it's not like I'm into tonnage and charters but I makes me smile when I do hear; "captain"

Well, I ain't no lady, but I crewed for one across the Atlantic once and when referring to her in conversation with others I would usually always call her captain when the occasion called for it. I would have called her captain in our normal dialog and had no problem with it had she expressed the preference for the title. She didn't.

I have crewed for a lot of male captains as well and I can't remember ever calling them captain on a regular basis.

rdstanley 11-24-2009 07:29 PM

My wife prefers Admiral, there's too much responsibility associated with "captain"

GeorgeB 11-24-2009 07:53 PM

Mrs B prefers to go by Commodorable.

mgmhead 11-24-2009 08:03 PM

Behind her back I refer to her as "She who must be obeyed" but around her it is "Yes Dear".... :laugher by the way, she never calls me Captain either...:D

chuck5499 11-24-2009 08:18 PM

when someone asks i tell them patty is the admiral and all i am is the bag carrier and boat driver - so if there is a question they need to speak to her

when we clear bridges and she has the helm and radio they call her cap'n

admiral patty boat driver chuck and svsoulmates
in a slip in brunswick ga for repairs

chef2sail 11-24-2009 08:29 PM

My wife goes by "Goddess of the Waves" no matter what position she holds, occupies, or is in on the boat

When she is at the helm and in charge its ...yes mam, captain Goddess of the waves.

Dave

BubbleheadMd 11-24-2009 08:43 PM

In my Navy, women are captains. You call 'em "Captain" or "ma'am" and you leave your gender hang-ups back on the pier.

You're the Captain, Denise.

BubbleheadMd 11-24-2009 08:47 PM

And...sorry to hijack the thread, but I noticed a lot of Maryland/PA folks in this thread. I can't make PM's for a few more posts and wanted to say hi.