Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Boat clothing for the plus sized woman

I know that a dry sailor is a happier sailor and I'd rather be happier than soaking wet. I'm also "not svelte" to put it politely and I know just trying to drape myself in mens sizes usually mean things that are way too big in some places, but not in others. For example, men don't usually have butts. I have a big butt. Also big mens sizes usually mean these realllly long legs and what not, and my legs are not all that long!

And so on.

It is my hope that the plus part of my size will dwindle, but it's not going to happen overnight, so anyone out there know a good shop site (internet stores are fine!) to find good rain gear and the like for the heavyset gal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can sympathize with your plight since I am rather short and have trouble finding stuff that fits me—to give you an example, most of the FWG jackets that are made for someone who wears a 44 suit jacket like I do, are designed for people a foot taller than me.

The problem with shopping for stuff like foul weather gear over the internet is that you really need to try the stuff on. One thing that you may have to do is get the stuff tailored to fit properly. While this is expensive, given the longevity of a good set of foul weather gear, it really makes sense to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
I don't know what size exactly you mean but I really like my West Marine 3rd Reef bibs. It's a great design with the zippers on the sides for using the head. They go up to XL (which they are calling a size 14).

As for jackets - I really like my Marmot Gore-tex jacket. Both of us have outdoor gear style jackets rather than marine. I'm sure there are different opinions on that on this forum!

Outdoor clothing (REI type stuff) usually has a full spectrum of sizes and now that men's jackets are moving toward a more fitted style for men I find more men's outdoor stuff fits.

//
//
Old 03-03-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I do not recall the brand mentioned, but this question got asked a year or so ago on SN, ie sailing anarchy. A couple of the ladies there did have a brand that works. Otherwise, from that article, size 14 is about as large as womens go, which is NOT good IMHO, not that this male's opinion counts.

You might try parusing over there and see if a search will get you the thread. Then again, it might have been here. SA is the one riinging a bell

marty
Old 03-03-2010

Found the post, from May 09. here is a link to the place that makes womens specific sailing clothes

Sailing4Woman : Collection of clothing dedicated to the sporting women who like sailing
Old 03-03-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I came across that site (and the SA forum). Those sizes look to be only up to 14, which isn't useful for me but may be to others, thanks for posting it.

I am having some luck looking at rainproof/warm gear that isn't labeled for sailing, per a suggestion I read elsewhere. For example, bibs for snowboarding or skiing are to be had in women's plus sizes, as are some wet suits (if one wanted to wear one under something).

Granted these are not true "foul weather gear", but if the weather is at all foul, we wouldn't be heading out for a sail around the bay. The prices come down if the word "sailing" isn't in front of the tag, I've noticed.

Also Grunder's seems to make actual foul weather gear that may fix, with some leg shortening.

Thanks for the replies.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 03-03-2010
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Wink They don't have much out there for little people ...

I feel your frustration, only from the other end of the spectrum. My wife, on a tall day, is 4' 10" and finding gear that fits is just as big a challenge.

We went to Strictly Sail - Chicago, hit all the clothing vendors and just tried stuff on until we found a combo that fit. You might consider doing the same if there is a show anywhere near you.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Old 03-03-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Cabela's sells Women's gore-tex suits up to at least 2XL (Which they list as size 22).

Cabela's -- Rainwear

Helly Hansen has sailing gear up to at lest 3XL, not sure what size that is, but they have a size chart on their site.

Jackets - Pants - ski - Accessories - Sailing - Skiing - Helly Hansen.com
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 03-03-2010

Sorry about that. Thought the sizes went a bit bigger.

I wear my ski gear for the most part. Boarding gear might be a bit better/nicer, as there is padding in the butt, knees etc from where one would sit/kneel in the snow on the pant part.

My pants themselves are actual boat foulies, but coat is one of two ski coats. Spouse was able to find a coat and pant to fit her, she is in the 14-18 range depending upon the cut of clothing. Daughters are in the 12-14 and 18-22 range. Ex IIRC is a lot bigger yet. They all hate trying to find some kinds of clothes!

Good luck!

Marty
Old 05-29-2010

flysci is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Try Columbia

Sorry - I just saw this threas.

Columbia has several choices of goretex-like waterproof jackets in women's plus sizes. I haven't tried to find bibs, but they might have pants.

You can go to the Columbia web site, but several other sites carry Columbia, including Cabella's, REI, and the discount sites Altrec and Campmor.

From a fellow/former plus size who's already lost 2 sizes since moving aboard, good luck!

Margo