Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
He takes the helm, how do really feel ladies?

Ladies, how do you really feel? You finally get some time at the helm, feel like you have a handle on things, running a reach, tacking, etc...

Then he suddenly assumes whatever it is he's assuming and "takes the wheel" He just doesn't seem to consider that you may really not be quite ready to relinquish the wheel so quickly.

Lets hear it! The good the bad and the ugly!

Now on the flip side... you don't give up the helm.. does he pout? shout? act like he's lost because he has to man the winches?

(why does Denise come up with stuff like this?)

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2010

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
In the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't had the helm (wheel) for so long, I'm not sure I'd do anywhere near as well as she does.
Old 05-14-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Ladies, how do you really feel? You finally get some time at the helm, feel like you have a handle on things, running a reach, tacking, etc...

Then he suddenly assumes whatever it is he's assuming and "takes the wheel" He just doesn't seem to consider that you may really not be quite ready to relinquish the wheel so quickly.

Lets hear it! The good the bad and the ugly!

Now on the flip side... you don't give up the helm.. does he pout? shout? act like he's lost because he has to man the winches?

(why does Denise come up with stuff like this?)
:laughter
I say, assert yourself! I wish my wife would take charge a bit more. I'd go lounge up front. BTW, she never mans the winches when I'm on watch, so I would be disinclined to.

But, sometimes I take the helm back because there is a tricky bit coming up, I know she is not quite ready for it, and if something goes wrong I would rather it was my fault.

With freedom comes responsibility; if you are going to fight to keep the helm, man or woman, don't ask for help you don't really need. Learn to manage good weather and bad, problems and easy sailing. I do not appreciate a fair weather helmsman, that only wants the comfortable times and then hides below from the rain or even a bad cross-sea.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
after three boats, and limited helming by the wife...we took ASA courses together with the focus on her getting 100% capable, without me "teaching".

Turns out other than not "seeing" puffs, she is much better steering a straight course, compensating for wind shifts....and just all around doing a better job than I can, even though I have more seat time.

She still calls for me to do major winching and pulling, and often in close quarters. But she is having a ball and I know in the even that something happens, she can at least get the boat to and fro.

I am very happy with her helming...

Good post Denise
Old 05-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I love seeing my wife on the tiller. Of course, when she accidentally jibed in 25 knots while I was kneeling down into the lazarette and nearly broke my ribs with the mainsheet as it came across and slammed me into the tiller...she actually wanted to give it up.

What's a guy to do then?

I simply removed the rib from my lung, caught my breath, smiled and said, "sure sweetie".

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-14-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
SD.. a lesser man would have yelled, lol bless you!

My boat is for sale.
Old 05-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Honestly, I want her to love it as much as I do. What's a sucking chest wound between mates?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-14-2010
1934 Chickering

well, hopefully some of the ladies will see this thread over the weekend.

My boat is for sale.
Old 05-15-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Some years ago I was on a dock with a guy who liked to race his 26 footer. He needed crew one weekend, and I volunteered, never having raced before. He was about 6 foot and 240 lbs. His was wife was 4' 10" and 98 lbs! He steered, she ground the winches, barely. She was always offering helpful advice about how to steer, which he always ignored. We came in about 3rd from last, which he was happy about, because he'd never before finished other than dead last. Now if the idiot had let his wife steer, because she clearly had a better idea of what to do, and put his opulent ass over the rail where it belonged, we probably could have actually competed!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 05-15-2010
1934 Chickering

Gary yes! and he could most likely handle the sheets without winches!

Pixie and Giant went for a sail; Giant said; "Pixie grind me a winch." "Which winch thou would hath me winch I shall, but if I may steer, fun we may have, does that appeal?" she said. Giant replied "Fee fye fo fum! I'm on bum on the helm! not a bum on drum!" (winch)

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.