Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010

chris31519 is on a distinguished road
Dometic - Cruise-Air used to make a portable sea water cooled unit packed into a Samsonite suitcase. 7,000 BTU, about 40lbs and very compact and almost silent ( I have one). You might find one second hand.

Alternatively get one of their units and build it in underneath the V-berth. More expensiive, but on a 28 ft boat space is a premium. Cruisair DX Self Contained Air Conditioning and Heating Systems - Marine Boat You can get the same units cheaper on eBay (new).

I have a Honda EU1000i but I find it still too noisy at anchor (I hate to to this to people anchoring nearby). I made a noise proof box but then have problems with heat dissipation. I still find a wind scoop best out of the marina, or fans if there is no wind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010
2nd childhood in progress

JonnyQuest is on a distinguished road
Just fired up my 12yr old Cruisair--still works!

It came withe the boat and looked like it hasn't been used in years--probably hasn't. Anyway, fired it up yesterday and it still works like a charm. I hear they can be found on ebay, etc for 200-300 used.

Compared to the portable ones on wheels, mine weighs a ton! Bigger, unwieldily, and takes up a huge amount of room stowed away in my O27. Won't make it through the doors to the v-berth, so it goes in one of the berths under the cockpit--need to get a canvas tarp to place it on though.

If I didn't have this one, I'd look into the new ones on rollers mentioned by others earlier.

PS- I need to get the hatch cover bag that seals the hatch while in use. West Marine wants something crazy like $250 or so. I think I'll figure out how to make it myself and save the pennies.
Old 08-07-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
Glad it works! The boat we just bought comes with A/C installed and an all-electric galley, guess they were not planning on much time at anchor :-)
Old 08-08-2010

chris31519 is on a distinguished road
If you have the funds a properly installed sea water system is small,light and almost silent. You can build it into a tiny space. SOmething like this would be ideal for your boat: 40 lbs, runs from a Honda EU1000i or inverter if you have the amp-hours

Marine Air Conditioner - Mermaid -Boat air conditioning: eBay Motors (item 110282610358 end time Aug-13-10 07:10:17 PDT)
Old 09-18-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
When I go to Marinas looking at boats I sometimes see the ones with the window units hanging out. I think it is atheistically unpleasing, it really takes away from the boats beauty. Lots of good options here though, I don;t think you will have much trouble.
Old 09-20-2010

Imike28 is on a distinguished road
I've been looking into ac units for my islander 28 and I'm leaning towards a self contained unit.And run it off of electricity at the slip or on a eu2000 generator.with this all said I'm in the same boat.
Old 09-27-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i just replaced a window unit that is mounted in the vee berth, the only thing is you need a blower (you can see one hanging down--lol--not where it is supposed to be) to recirc the air.. it does a good job. esp w/the door shut.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture