Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010

KTMCD is on a distinguished road
Air Conditioning on a 28ft ODay?

We love staying aboard but are beginning to think we should explore AC for use while we are in our slip. Any suggestions from other smaller sailboat owners (other than suggesting we are wimps?). We already use multiple fans but it is the humidity--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Iv'e been having some idle thoughts about the same thing. There are the "marine" options that fit into the forward hatch, the standard small window home units that people adapt to hatches and companion ways and the "portable" ac units that can go inside, running the exhaust hose to the outside.

The last one has caught my attention. The main issue is finding a good reliable model. The reviews can vary a lot on the same model. The other issue is how they get rid of the evaporated water. Some only have a pan that needs to be emptied, others have a drain than can be run to the bilge / drain etc. Some brands say the moisture is taken care of through the exhaust (hot air duct to the outside) I question how well that works in a high humidity area.

The marine units look good but cost more. The window units are the cheapest but require more work to adapt them to a boat (and may look a bit less refined) The portable ones are hidden from the outside and can stay in place when sailing.
Old 07-21-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
while this wont help with the humidity, i do find it very useful.
Windscoop™ Ventilating Sail by Davis

there is an emerson quietcool installed in the vee berth, but it is kind of a big pain to install and mine is on her last legs im afraid.... so

for the really hot days i fire this off:
Carry-On Portable Air Conditioners - Marine Boat
and it does a fine job

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-21-2010

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i think almost everyone is having a tough time of it right now,i have a wind funnel but theres not much wind here in the hills,also my marina just got its electricity supply shut off so not even a fan,better days are coming[ i hope]
Old 07-21-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
After another steamy night trying to sleep on the boat last weekend, I bought one of these Amazon.com: Haier CPRB08XCJ 8000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner: Kitchen & Dining... Man, I must be getting soft! But I'll say, we had a great night's sleep Sunday night.

I picked this up at the Super Target for $299.00. It is only 8000 BTU's, but the wife got up to change the setting during the night because she was too cold. I'm not sure how well it will cool during the daytime, but we spend little time inside the boat then anyway. It stows away easily in the V-Berth when not in use. I did not like the idea of a window unit stuck in the companionway or on top of the boat.

This unit has auto evaporation, so no need to empty water from the unit. You will need to run the hot exhaust to the outside. There is a fairly long expandable hose included. We already had a foamboard piece that fit in the companionway left by the PO. I got out a fillet knife and cut a hole for the hose to exit through so we could use it that night. I am going to buy a piece of wood to replace the bottom board that I can attach the hose to when the unit will be in use. It does draw 15 amps, so be careful what else you plan to use when the a/c is running.

This is a reasonable/affordable way to stay comfortable if you don't have the boat bucks to spend on an actual marine unit. I still feel a bit guilty though. I could have had those new halyards...but when I mentioned the idea about the ac unit to the wife, she said "let's go buy one"! Gotta keep the woman happy, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
not to get off topic, but why the heck did the marinas elec get shut off?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-21-2010

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
its an old mom&pop marina on the tn.river,the tn.valley authority[tva]suddenly decided that the marinas electric wiring wasn't up to code,lol and i agree,the owner hasn't updated anything in yrs--------sorry for the thread hyjack
Old 07-21-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
RTB,
those portable units make allot of sense! (imho) less dangerous then trying to navigate a window unit in the companion way or front hatch. they are very very efficient also. The only bad thing would be it rolling around when under sail.

your friendly neiborhood hvac girl

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
As I mentioned, it does stow under the v-berth, but not securely, so I need to figure a way to secure it when underway. That can be accomplished any number of ways.

Old 07-29-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have one of the cruise air hatch units bought 6 years ago. It stores under the filler of our V berth when inderwya. We always have a breeze when anchored out, but in our slip or when traveling it has been the difference bewtween us using the boat or not.

It stows easily never moves aorund underway, and is never in the way as what goes under most people V berth fillers?

We have a rountine for ptting it in the front v berth hatch. We have amused people in marina we have stayed in as my wife and I have a 5 minute choreographed routine. Open the hatch. She gets the spinaker halyard. we attach it around one of the units handles ( it weighs 70 pounds but is bulky and unweilding to lift or carry). She cranks the halyard around a winch while i guide it up through the hatch it emerges from below and the drops right into place. 5 minutes tops. Runs on 110 AC from one of the boats outlets or off a 30 adapter cord off of a 50 amp splitter. We were thinking of even getting a small HOnda quiet EU2000 and running it at anchor, but quite frankly have never neede it at anchor. Why sweat and be uncomfortable, it has allowed us to go to our boat every Friday evening and cools our 35 footer fine.the V is like an icebox Hella fans bring the cool air to the rest of the cabins. When the unit dies I will probably put a marine reverse cycle on in with ducts.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.