Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
s e r v e r

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Now Freud would write volumes on this 'typo'
are you saving your R's??

I have a unique sense of humour - only I laugh at my jokes sometimes!
Oh well - I know my limitations
Whatever you do, DON'T ORDER THE SCHNITZEL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-08-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
A waiter in leaderhosen? cute!

My boat is for sale.
Old 09-08-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Stars, Stars, and more stars

So what is 5 Star to you guys...do you have any idea the difference between stars, diamonds, Michelin, Mobil, Zagat, NY Times, etc?

Okay, then I will tell you...

In the US there are several rating systems being used, to the point it seems confusing or unnecassary...
  • Mobil Travel Guide awards "stars" as does the Michelin Guide, Mobil goes to 5 Stars, Michelin highest is 3 Stars. As for Mobil, the difference between a 4 star property and a 5 start property are significant. I am not as familiar with Michelin as they are primarily used in Europe, only coming to America in the last few years. Thomas Keller's The French Laundry and Per Se are 3 Michelin Stars, making him one of the few to have two restaurants with 3 stars, and I think the only one in the US. Mobil awards Start for Food and/or Accommodations.
  • AAA awards Diamonds, 5 being the highest. Again the differences between 4 and 5 are significant and they also award for Food and/or Accommodations. The standards for 5 Diamonds vs. 5 Stars (Mobil) are slightly less there fore it holds slightly less "prestige" then having the Mobil 5 Star Award. The Inn at Little Washington in Virginia, was the first establishment in the Mobil Travel Guides history ever to receive two 5 Star awards, food & accommodations. The Inn has maintained 5 Diamonds & 5 Stars for both Food & Accommodations for the past 18+ years, that is no easy accomplishment if you ever saw what an inspector is looking for.
  • Well then there are local Newspapers, The NY Times 1- 4 Stars, The Washington Post 1- 4 stars, Washingtonian, bla bla bla.
  • Zagat...they are unique, using reader surveys to develop their rating, 0-30 for Food, Decor, Service, or a total of 90 points possible...and here again The Inn at Little Washington ranks high, #1 restaurant in the Nations Capital
  • Travel & Leisure Magazine, Worlds Best Awards, The Wine Spectator Awards, and many more (oh and by the way, TIALW...#1 Hotel in the World for food by T&L Mag 2008 )
  • Of course there are membership organizations also, such as the prestigious Relais & Chataeux http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/ and the very cool S.Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners , What makes the S.Pellegrino awards neat is they are voted in by their peers, chefs & restaurateurs.
Some interesting info found in Wiki about "stars":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(classification)

I recommend Zagat, Mobil, Relais & Chateaux as good references, but at the end of the day its what you think that matters

Okay...I don't know what the point of writing all that was
Old 09-08-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Knows better then to ever confront a chef on such matters.. eep!

if you ever "ask to see the chef" you better be sure you know why! LOL

My boat is for sale.
Old 09-08-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hi Debuse,
I guess Chef thought people rate restuarants by the meal they provide.

The visual presentation of the food is more what was being discussed???

I do agree - never insult a chef. Art with attitude and sharp (and blunt) objects. I think I will sign off now.
cheerio

Old 09-08-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Sadly, I say most ratings are ignorant of the presentation and more about the service then the food. I could be wrong though.

Watched this Disney movie last night.. "ratatouille" EWWWWW! rats as chefs! I wonder if the Disney people really understand the vile nature of rats.

[IMG][/IMG]

My boat is for sale.

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2010

Ah yes, Ratatouille...a great movie. There's so much neat references in the movie, just the description of the classic kitchen brigade is worth showing in class LOL. I liked the pun created by using rats to cook, cracks me up. Incidentally Thomas Keller (arguably one of toady's most influential chefs) was the consultant on the film, and many of the dishes were first created in his kitchen then digitized for the movie.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Hi Debuse,
I guess Chef thought people rate restuarants by the meal they provide.
As I mentioned at the bottom of my post, I have NO idea why I posted that Probably trying to avoid grading student projects!
Old 09-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just senility showing its ugly self...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
As I mentioned at the bottom of my post, I have NO idea why I posted that Probably trying to avoid grading student projects!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.