Waiter or waitress when fine dining? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-07-2010 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Talking Waiter or waitress when fine dining?

I like service from a very very mannerly "nothing I won't do to make Ma'am happy" waiter. Bow tie optional!

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-07-2010 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Ok.. to qualify the sailing aspect.. after a ladies group is just back from a few weeks at sea....

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #3 of 26 Old 09-07-2010

The term used these days is "server"

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

post #4 of 26 Old 09-07-2010 Thread Starter
me at 67!

waitperson is what I use most of the time chef, but to be specific..

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #5 of 26 Old 09-07-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Well, I am a pig. I prefer young and beautiful waitresses. If a waiter shows up at our table, I will kindly request to trade for another one.

I think I am not as bad as others. At least I have not posted a thread "Looking for Young Female Boat Mate, no experience needed" yet.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 09-07-2010 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-07-2010

I was a waiter for 10 years in many a fine dinning environments. Used it to pay for my ski bumming ways. Then used to pay for my education as a pilot. To understand the mindset of a waiter understand the word obsequious. We are there to serve. Their income is based on your happiness and perceived quality of the job they have done. In short they will respond to anything you call them.

I did make the mistake once of calling a woman mam who felt she was too young for the title. You need a thick skin to work as a server sometimes. I once found New Yorkers respect you more if you are a slight bit hostile if they act up. I have been called all sorts of names but do not care as long as your bill was over $100 and you left %20. Probably server is the most appropriate term, but if the staff is mixed asking for your waitress might make it easier for the other person to narrow it down.

PS: I made more money as a waiter than I do as a pilot.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 26 Old 09-07-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I was a waiter for 10 years in many a fine dinning environments. Used it to pay for my ski bumming ways. Then used to pay for my education...
Exactly the same here during college. I was also a Maître d’ at one point - and for high-end "fine dining" I can say that the best, most successful servers were always male. At lower-end places - it didn't matter as much.

Whether that was due to customer expectations, cultural issues, or what, I don't know. My hunch is that high-end customers just like smart, witty, handsome dudes serving them. It seems to imply more value - for whatever reason. And this is pretty fascinating in itself considering our "advanced, open" culture.

High end cuisine is a very weird world. But jeez you can rake in some coin. And the hostesses were always hot.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #8 of 26 Old 09-07-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

I refuse to get caught up in PC garbage.

Male: Waiter
Female: Waitress.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert A.Heinlein
post #9 of 26 Old 09-07-2010 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Well I was with a group of ladies in the social group I try to lead up. We were at a local place. not 5 star but very nice. We had a male server. the service was over the top! (good) but then we had a female server a month latter and she was tops also! So gender and service don't really matter, but I like a male sever just the same.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #10 of 26 Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
So gender and service don't really matter, but I like a male sever just the same.
Now Freud would write volumes on this 'typo'
are you saving your R's??

I have a unique sense of humour - only I laugh at my jokes sometimes!
Oh well - I know my limitations

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.