SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help Me Decide What My Husband Can Buy Me 4 My Boat 4 Our Anniversary :)

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Boasun 
#1 ·
My husband almost bought me a diamond braclet for our anniversary. Very expensive, very thoughtful, very not so me. I told him I much prefer a little something for that hole in the water I spend so much time on (without him. It keeps the marriage young :)

First, I have a Contessa 26 that is pretty well outfitted. My favorite accoutrement is the windvane monitor. I like it so much I must name it after I decide on its sex. I have a tiller autopilot and chartplotter, as well as the wind/depth meter. I have a asymetrical spinnaker and a storm trisail. I have an EPIRB and a liferaft. I have SSB, which is being installed sometime this century. Very importantly: I have stero.

Here are some of the things I'm thinking I would like: A newer VHF (with DSC); a drifter; AIS transponder; or FastFind PLB.

Here are some of the things I can definintely live without, but if I won the lotter I would consider: a new autopilot, a windlass, a stove, an inverter, a toughbook, mast steps, . . . getting way out there now . . . furling for the asymetrical (is it possible on a Contessa?), paint the boat blue, a bigger boat.

What I really would like but can't have until my three kids are out of college is to retire because now most of my sailing is confined to the bay. It takes all day to get to the ocean and back. But, what I aspire to is costal sailing and then maybe a Pacific Puddle Jump if I live that long.

So what would on your boat would you rather not live without?

BTW, I'm buying him a scanner. Lucky guy!

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
What do you have for ground tackle? If you haven't gotten a next gen anchor, it might be a good choice with a new anchor rode. A Rocna 10 (22 lbs.) with 30' of G43 chain and 200' of 5/8" rode would be a nice setup for you.

#4 ·
Great idea Sailingdog! I need to beef up my ground tackle. Can you tell me whether there are issues with the Rocna not fitting bow rollers? I've (tried and hopefully successed in) uploading a picture of my bow roller. Can you tell if it would work from the picture? Thanks for your sage advice here, and in the many other threads on the site.

P.S. Denise: My boat is too small and I am too tired for a cabin boy. But, thanks for the thought!

Attachments

#7 ·
Dulcitea-

It depends on the bow roller and how it is positioned relative to the boat's bow and all. I have a Rocna 15 on my boat and it sits on the bow roller just fine. :D

If that photo is of the bow setup on your boat, I think the Rocna would fit fairly well, as it is designed to be used on a bow roller and I think that one would have enough clearance for it.

Here's a modified version of that photo with an outline of the Rocna and Delta anchors, scaled roughly to fit.

#10 ·
new sail? dodger/bimini? man i wish it was my anniversary and i had this tough decision to make!! radar? bottom job? have fun, hope you enjoy your new toy--whatever it is....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.