Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

I am wondering why "Hersailnet" is so quiet. I read the messages because a woman''s perspective is important. Actively looking for a first mate, its scarry to be wondering if there is a female lack of interest... Maybe its just the message boards and actually all the females are sailing while some of us are just writing about it! Yikes, caught myself. Anyway, some good ideas and discussions have been found here. I will keep checking.
I am curious mostly about home-schooling, maybe more for future grandchildren, but have enough experience to know the ocean and the boat are very close to ideal for children.
Hope this message board sees some activity and gets going. No question is bad, all are good. Curiosity is a gift, and part of why we are all here and why we want to sail.
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
just can''''t help it.

You guessed it right, Paul. We''re all out sailing! :-)

kokopuff....
Old 06-10-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

Sorry, Paul, my hands have been too dirty to touch the keyboard (from replacing the water pump impeller impeller on the old MD2B.) Also replaced the throttle cable and controls. Just too busy to write or sail, but---- about home schooling for "future" grandchildren???? Gee what are the parents going to be doing? Now you''ve really got me curious!! Are you planning to be the major care taker of grandchildren?
Old 06-11-2003

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

Hey Laural,
No not a major care taker, just excited about the prospects having grandchildren on the boat someday. Do you have grandchildren?
I didn''t have a boat when my kids were young, so, its like a second chance to share the experience and majic with little ones. I had also hoped my folks could have done more with my children. they didn''t and I won''t make the same mistake.
Well, is the MD2B running now?
Paul
Old 06-11-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

Yes (finally!)the engine is up and running again. It''s truly great that you want to plan ahead on spending time with your grandchildren. Don''t be too hard though on your parents choice. People have to work through their relationships and some find it difficult be giving of their time. You sound like a new parents dream in that you want to spend time with your grandchildren. I don''t have grandkids yet, but lots of little friends. : )

I have found it''s important to teach kids to enjoy sailing when they are young. Teach them to swim and how to sail (all the technical stuff) so they can do it themselves. Kids are doers! So keep them involved and make it fun! Explain everything with love and enthusiam and you will be rewarded by seeing them fall in love with sailing.

Also recognize the fact that as they grow into the teen years their time becomes more and more their own. So be ready to let them go if they dump a day with Grandpa for a chance to jetski with friends.

Happy Sailing!!!
Lauralee
Old 08-29-2003

JohnandLiz is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

Just got a 41 Morgan. Our Christmas list suddenly got longer I don''t know what she''ll be like since we haven''t yet moved her from the dock. I''ve been running around trying to find that coast guard class for new sailors. He wants diesel mechanic''s class. This is his second sailboat but I am still a wannabe. Any advise is appreciated. Nana Liz
Old 08-31-2003

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
just can''''t help it.

Okay all you grand parent types. Here''s my grandparent dilema. My wife and I are close to going cruising. We have a beautiful and lively 14 month old daughter who really enjoys nature and good times. Our plan is to relocate from Nevada to a location closer to her grandparents (Michigan and Florida) and other relatives with Florida being most likely final destination. The decision to move is two fold - our belief that it is important for our daughter to have regular interaction with other family members and Las Vegas is not the place we want to raise our child.

The tentative plan is to use the opportunity of the move to take 10 months and cruise from the Great Lakes, through the NY canals and down the east coast, bahamas, FL keys to the Tampa Bay area, where we will settle back into landbased lives. The problem is the grandparents. They don''t want us to take the baby as it is unsafe (they say). Our boat is a well founded and stout Westsail 32 with a secure berth for the child. My plan is to cruise safely and leasurely. Financially, we have enough money for the cruise plus a healthy 1+ years salary in the bank when we arrive to get started with. It truely is an opportunity of a lifetime that I am sure we won''t ever regret. Instead of working six days a week in Las Vegas, I can spend everyday, 24/7 with my family (wife, daughter, dog, cat) in my most favorite place (boat). Almost sounds too good to be true.

Question is, how do we sell this to our parents who think we are making a big mistake because it is either foolhardy to sail away with a child or it financially irresponsible to quit a perfectly good job when I have a family to support?
Old 08-31-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

Alot of what you say confuses me. Are you the Grand Parent? It doesn''t sound like you are that close to retirement, are you? This may be a thought not held by many but the rasing of a family is a parents #1 job. If you can make a living for your family and provid the kids witha stable family home and still cruise great, if not sail in Lake Mead on the weekends and provide for your kids. make your plans and have your dream all ready for when you have got that job done. That is where I am at right now. I am sailing every day I can. I am making my boat ready for a time when I''ll be able to say goodbye to all my ties and responsiblities and sail away into the sunset. But life is not all fun and games (If you have a family) and your life is not all your own. Youowe your wife and children alot of conciderartion. I know there might not be a tomarrow for any of us but risking that is the price a family man must bare.
Old 09-01-2003

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
just can''''t help it.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. You didn''t really offer an answer to my question, so let me clarify things a little.

You are right, I am not planning on retiring for another 30 years. However, we are preparing to relocate from the Las Vegas area back east, so we can live closer to our families. Currently, our closest relative is 2000 miles away and we feel it is important for our daughter to have access to simple things like grandparents, family holidays, and family summer vacations.

Since we are moving anyway, have a boat that is capable, and can afford it, we (my wife and I) decided that cruising from my home in Michigan to her home in Florida would be an excellent way to spend time together as a young family, see part of our beautiful country that neither one of us has seen, and get to travel in a fashion we have always dreamed of. Being that we fostered our engagement under the stars on our previous boat, what better way to get to spend time and raise our child together, even if it is only for a few months. I currently work six days a week and am missing out on a lot of important development in my daughter''s life because of it. I 100% agree with you that raising my child is job #1. So, I don''t think I am neglecting my duties as a father, but exhalting them by playing a more direct role in my daughters development than just working every day to provide food, clothing, and shelter. I''d rather not wait for thirty years for something that might happen, when I have the opportunity with my wife and daughter today that I will never have again.

So, after this long diatribe, I return to my original question regarding my parents and in-laws. I interpret their attitudes as follows:

My wife''s mother: "Do it! I have traveled all my life and can tell you it will be the best thing you''ll ever do together as a family. Plus, when you are done, you''ll be living closer to me."

My wife''s father and step mother: "It''s too dangerous. You can''t go with our grand daughter. It is too much of a risk. Just make your move and forget about the sailing thing."

My parents: "We would love to have you live closer but, if I were you, I''d keep your job and sell your boat. You might make some money on it with all the restoration work you''ve done."

Never mind that we love our boat, don''t really like my job, none of our parents are sailors or know anything about sailing, or that the sailing we are planning is pretty tame compared to driving on the streets of Las Vegas. In reality, if we were planning to do the same thing in an RV, they''d probably think it was a great idea. Mind you, no one is yelling or making any demands, but as concerned grandparents, they have expressed concerns. I completely understand. As a result, I want to put their worries at ease - also part of a family man''s responsibilities, wouldn''t you say?

With all the above discussion on this thread geared toward grandparents, I thought some one might offer me words of wisdom to help me ease our parents conserns toward something we are prepared for and very excited about.
Old 09-02-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
just can''''t help it.

Nereus32,

I''m not a grandparent, or a parent for that matter, but my thought is simply this:

Everyone gets to choose his or her way through life. You and your wife wish to do something which I think is a fantastic way to generate wonderful memories for your family. Do it.

As for suggestions to put the naysayers at ease, I don''t know that such is possible. They are looking at this possible event from their own perspectives and with their own prejudices; how can you change that? I doubt you can.

You sound like a sensible guy; they''ll just have to trust you.

Best of luck.

Duane