Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011

flbkroxie is on a distinguished road
Cabin Stereo Speaker Installation

FYI: I have never done anything like this before.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently bought a Macgregor 26S and am in charge of all that goes with it. Husband is supportive, but this is my boat, so if I screw up, let's just call it a "learning experience".
My current project is a stereo system and cabin speakers (will work on cockpit speakers later). It has already taken me 2 days to mount the stereo unit, connect it to a power source, and run the speaker wiring (the hardest part of the job, btw). A friend is helping me with the cabin speaker cabinets. She has ALL the woodworking tools, since she builds furniture as a hobby in her garage. I started with butt joints and glue sticks. I had a few questions so I called her. She cringed when she saw it. She made a few suggestions, but I didn't have the tools, so she offered to help, I accepted, and away we went to her house.We pulled it all apart, and now we are doing "rabbet" and "dado" joints! It is sitting in her garage with a bunch of clamps, waiting for the glue to dry. How did I get so lucky?
I learned a lot and it only cost me her dinner.
Will post some photos once the glue has dried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Sorry to post this AFTER you did the work but why don't you just install some bookshelf speakers?

Like these :

Amazon.com: Monitor Audio M1 Speaker (Black Oak Vinyl, Pair): Home Audio & Theater

There are cheaper options. I have a pair of Realistic Minimus 7s which sound fine. Lots of them on Ebay for $40 or so.

Matching drivers to cabinets is an art and any decent pair of bookshelf speakers will sound FAR better than what you are building.

Last edited by MarkSF; 05-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2011

The speakers are not "bookshelf" speakers. They are Sony marine speakers and would normally be mounted directly in the fiberglass. I didn't want to try to cut a circle in the fiberglass so decided to create a box for the speaker and then add a shelf to the box. Hard to explain. The unit will then be supported with screws. Will post photos when, and if, I ever finish.
Old 05-16-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbkroxie View Post
The speakers are not "bookshelf" speakers. They are Sony marine speakers and would normally be mounted directly in the fiberglass. I didn't want to try to cut a circle in the fiberglass so decided to create a box for the speaker and then add a shelf to the box. Hard to explain. The unit will then be supported with screws. Will post photos when, and if, I ever finish.
This is my point - they make panel mounted speakers for mounting in panels, and speakers in boxes for when you don't want to panel mount. What you have done is to take panel-mounted speakers and build your own boxes. Why not just put up a shelf and mount box speakers to it? I think I am in danger of belabouring my point. The main goal is to enjoy yourself which you are clearly doing
Old 05-17-2011

Because I had already bought the speakers. Decided not to drill holes in the fiberglass. Came up with a better idea. That's why.
And you're right. I am enjoying doing it myself. Which is the whole idea behind my purchasing the boat. This is my project and I wanted to share on "herSailNet".
Old 05-17-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Mark, I think she makes a good point. Not sure how much she appreciates some man posting on "hersailnet" telling her what she should have done.

I made my first post to her regarding her type of boat before I noticed which forum it was in. Not that men aren't allowed to post here but I think we should try not to be our normal obnoxious selves
Old 05-18-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
...but I think we should try not to be our normal obnoxious selves
Enough with the crazy talk...

Seriously though,
Looking forward to seeing your pics and good for you taking on the project!
Have fun and keep sharing your progress.

I am back to lurking now
Old 05-18-2011
kcbillb

kcbillb2 is on a distinguished road
flbkroxie,

You've obviously got this well in hand. Just keep on with your project.

Please send pics of the finished version..

Bill
S/V Transmogrifier
1974 Mutineer 15
Old 05-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Mark, I think she makes a good point. Not sure how much she appreciates some man posting on "hersailnet" telling her what she should have done.

I made my first post to her regarding her type of boat before I noticed which forum it was in. Not that men aren't allowed to post here but I think we should try not to be our normal obnoxious selves
Not my thread, but personally, its fine with me if guys post to HerSailNet - I welcome knowledge from anywhere I can get it. And I want to see the finished pix also!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-22-2011

speakers are in!

Have finally finished and installed the speaker boxes I made. Granted, I got a little "huffy" in my last response, and I now know that posting to "HerSailNet" goes out to the general sailing audience, and I was not just posting to sailing women.

I bought these speakers with the intention of installing them in the cabin panels, but when I realized that I had to cut a 5" hole in my "new" boat, I chickened out, this was way beyond my scope! So I opted on the speaker boxes which provide not only a place for the speakers but a little added storage. Plus, they sound great!

I want to share however how much I have enjoyed every minute of working on the boat. Not to the level of everyone else, but for me it has been very fulfilling. I built a lazarette floor, installed an ipod/iphone stereo and speakers, added a new electric faucet and fresh water tank, moved the battery location and rewired the distribution panel. Even fabricated a wine glass holder from scraps leftover from the speaker boxes (gotta have my wine). I am now making all new cockpit cushions covered with Sunbrella fabric. Finally! Girly stuff, that I can do! Those photos I will be proud to post later.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabin Stereo Speaker Installation-speaker-box.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.