Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet? - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 237 Old 01-28-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsundancer View Post
Unlike most male captains I've sailed with.
Hey sundance - welcome to SN.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 237 Old 01-28-2012

You know there may be a reason why women don't post their opinion.

When I was sailing full time again and again I saw couples sailing where the wife or companion didn't really want to be there. They wanted to be at home, around friends, relatives, or family, not sailing the 7 seas. I know this might sound sexist, but it seemed that 9 times out of 10, if not more, it was the man's dream to go sailing and adventuring and not his wife.

There are many men sailing in far away ports that started with a devoted companion, but wound up sailing alone, because their wife, although trying to be supportive, just finally gave up pretending that cruising was what they wanted to do. I know all the ladies are now offended and angry, but if you actually look around you and go sailing for awhile you will see the truth in what I'm saying.

I also saw quite frequently that since the wife didn't really want to be there to start with, that they didn't really learn much about sailing. They could do it, but it just wasn't something they were all that into, and would involve themselves when needed, but, didn't get much into all the intricate details - like navigating with a sectant for instance.

So, why don't women post - there aren't many out there that really love sailing and the cruising life.

Just one person's opinion.

Linda
mikieg likes this.
post #123 of 237 Old 01-28-2012
You and Me

The sight does not let me reply.
post #124 of 237 Old 01-28-2012
You and Me

And so it does on this here subject. Interesting, somewhat.
post #125 of 237 Old 01-28-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by LManess View Post
... it seemed that 9 times out of 10, if not more, it was the man's dream to go sailing and adventuring and not his wife.
So, why don't women post - there aren't many out there that really love sailing and the cruising life.

Just one person's opinion.

Linda
It's a big world and I suppose that all of us have a different experience in our little bit of it. I guess that once again I've been lucky in that I don't find this to be the case at all in my tiny part of it

We belong to two sail clubs, one based at a local lake and another on the Bay. In both clubs the women are not only supportive and on the boats, but in one club at least a third of the women started out singlehanding big boats before finding their SOs and a few of those have their captain's license (beyond the six pack). Each male Sailnetter that I've met in person who has a SO has one who is supportive and an active participant in the experience. And of course there's forum member Jaye (wingNwing) who is both an accomplished sailor and active in the forum. And now that I think about it, our slip neighbors are couples with both actively engaged (and the woman next to us can dock like a champ).

I do think that not as many women sailors want to join online forums but I don't see evidence that most women don't want to sail at all.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #126 of 237 Old 01-28-2012
formerly posting as eryka

The only "undesireable" I see here is generalizations. And I'm going to "generalize" that mikieg's behavior is more about proving himself right, than about sharing information. Calls it like he sees it, he says? I think I'm calling it troll.
sawingknots and chef2sail like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
post #127 of 237 Old 01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
The only "undesireable" I see here is generalizations. And I'm going to "generalize" that mikieg's behavior is more about proving himself right, than about sharing information. Calls it like he sees it, he says? I think I'm calling it troll.
I agree. It's getting tiresome.

If we want to talk about 0.01%, that would be about the number of memebrs that are asked by a moderator to apologize to another poster. Congrats mikieg, you made it into that pernicious group.
sawingknots likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #128 of 237 Old 01-29-2012 Thread Starter
Oday30!

peeks in.........gasps..... closes door :

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-29-2012 at 09:41 AM.
post #129 of 237 Old 01-29-2012

wow,i'm more than a little surprized that i'm not on the 0.01 list,seriously
post #130 of 237 Old 01-29-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
peeks in.........gasps..... closes door :
Was it the smell or all the empties and dirty underwear on the floor?
sawingknots likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.