Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

COOL, Africa scares me. I'm not an expert on much, but I was a rigger for many years so I can answere some of those questions if you have any. I think of fiberglass work like paper machette' form grade school. And anything electrical I've either thrown away or I hire an electrician, that's what they are for. The hardest part of any project is starting it, you'll do fine.
Old 06-25-2012

pointyendfirst is on a distinguished road

i like that approach to fiberglass, makes it seem less daunting. about to start on that.

electricians, yeah, i hired one, but he was a Masai. Masai warriors are great if you need to defend your cows from lions. For wiring in your fans or running lights, not so much.

I may take you up on your offer to answer a rigging question or two- will PM with photos. Once I stop blubbering, here in the cockpit. (kidding, it's nighttime and i am home...)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Pointy -

(although you sound like someone I'd love to have a cool drink with)
Yes. Virtual girls night out, until we all maybe get together at SSCA.
pointyendfirst likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointyendfirst View Post
i have been a member for several years but almost exclusively lurk, partially because i am timid about asking for help and partially because i am afraid of being beat down or jumped on if I say anything. I find it upsetting how quickly people jump all over posters for saying things that i don't think are really meant to be offensive, and the convo kinda degenerates. Ouch, now i am hiding under the keyboard in case i get shelled for that.
My Lady, this is not the kind of forum where people are rude and even if that can be sometimes the case, after your post I bet that if somebody tries that you will have many that will be ready to fight for you….I know, I know a very macho thing but that “chivalry” thing can have its advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointyendfirst View Post

…I had been looking to the hersailnet as a possible place where i could talk with fellow female sailors, especially any who like me are relatively underconfident in their technical skills. I am in the process of a fairly major refit of my boat and for someone who previously regarded changing a lightbulb as a challenge, this is scary stuff. Especially as I am doing it in east africa where there is a real shortage of skilled people who you could hire as teachers or consultants. My club here is heavily british and south african, so being a yank female skipper makes me feel pretty isolated.
I would love to hear from other women who have taught themselves to work on their boats e.g. rewiring, re-doing standing rigging, etc. and how they did it! My husband is an absolute darling but isn't interested in sailing in the least, and isn't handy, so i am starting from scratch here.....
any words of wisdom from women out there who taught themselves to fix their boats or at least learned and did it on their own? any courses you could recommend? I am a decent sailor, but am looking at doing some of the ASA or RYA courses especially navigation to further my skills, but i don't see much in terms of courses for repair/maintenance.
Why other women? Why on her sailnet?
Sailing is sailing and refitting a boat is just that. No difference between men and women…and probably you are going to find more help if you start your own threads under the appropriated forum and leave “her sailnet” for girl’s talk.

Regarding sailing courses you have plenty in South Africa:

Two Oceans Maritime Academy | Ocean Sailing | RYA | Sailing Cape Town | Sailing South Africa | Sailing Training | Yachtmaster | Ocean Skipper | Competent Crew
Sail Due South | excellence in sail training
Home | Atlantic Yachting and Sailing School - RYA Courses, SAS Sailing Courses on Cape West Coast of South Africa

Regarding maintenance…well I have to say that probably I am not much better (if not worse) than you, but I have learned that the only way to improve is doing it…slowly and with the help of someone that knows more than you and that should not be difficult, at least it is not for me.

You can find help here and probably on the place you are working on your boat. The guys and girls that do the maintenance on their boats are always ready to give an helping hand to someone that is trying but has not the knowledge to do it.

Please post at will and welcome to the forum, I mean, as a poster…and soon, I hope, as a contributor with new threads.

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-25-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Ladies, ladies, running aground, bumping into stuff and wondering how to fix the XXX, are hardly gender oriented activities. As sailor of the male type I can assure you it's way more common than we admit. Edit ..What PCP said.

Last edited by Capt Len; 06-25-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Ah, if we lived in a perfect world! Dan had surgery two weeks ago (not related to the cancer 6 years ago, just normal aging, he's fine, just got a major thumbs-up from the doctor earlier today) He wasn't allowed to carry anything heavier than a jug of milk. Anyone who thinks sailing is gender-neutral should have seen the downright hostile looks we got walking back to the boat when I was wheeling the dock cart or carrying the groceries and he was empty-handed. Wow.

Mostly I agree with Paulo and Len, most things sailing are not gender specific. But ... some approaches to problems are. Some tools, for example, require more hand or upper body strength than I have. If the instructions/instructors don't account for that, I'm not going to be able to do the job. If they understand the limitations, I can modify the approach or use other tools to compensate for the lack of strength. And some vendors don't seem to believe we can do math or understand engineering concepts.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-25-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Why other women? Why on her sailnet?
Sailing is sailing and refitting a boat is just that. No difference between men and women…and probably you are going to find more help if you start your own threads under the appropriated forum and leave “her sailnet” for girl’s talk.

Regards

Paulo
The reality is that some women feel more comfortable talking to other women until they reach a certain level of confidence where they feel they can carry their own weight in a situation. Perhaps they never get over it.

When I first started sailing I watched and listened to other women sailors in my clubs who were singlehanding and got up the nerve to dock our boat myself. Sure, the guys did it all the time, but it took another woman's encouragement for me to take the plunge. If all of them could do it, why can't I? It was empowering. Probably not a mental process a man could sympathize with.

I think that it's nice to be able to offer a "safe haven" so to speak so those who do feel like posting here can do so without feeling they will be mocked or humiliated. If I'm not mistaken, I think that was the original intent of herSailnet.

Besides, the men still post here anyway. So if there's something here that men can offer a useful response to, go ahead. It won't be wasted.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Mostly I agree with Paulo and Len, most things sailing are not gender specific. But ... some approaches to problems are. Some tools, for example, require more hand or upper body strength than I have. If the instructions/instructors don't account for that, I'm not going to be able to do the job. If they understand the limitations, I can modify the approach or use other tools to compensate for the lack of strength. And some vendors don't seem to believe we can do math or understand engineering concepts.
Hi Wing,

let me remind you that some of the best sailors around are women and I mean racing offshore solo racers. Most of them are quite light and are not body builders, but regular fit girls: You have Jeanne, Sam and Ellen, all light, apparentely fragile and all capable of beaten most men in long offshore races, including non stop circumnavigation.

Today’s equipment is easier and easier to use and require less force, not to mention all hydraulic and electrical helps. Many sailors are old and the boat builders make boats that they can sail easily and I am not only referring to heavy boats, fast boats too are easy to sail.

One of the boats I saw when I was looking for my new boat was a 2008 Salona 42, a very fast boat. The boat was a bit unclean and the seller explained that the boat was sailed by a 83 year’s old sailor and his also old wife. The boat was for sell because the guy had bought a brand new Grand Soleil 43 (also a very fast boat). It seems that his biggest problem for them is not sailing the boat, but cleaning it

Regards

Paulo
Old 06-25-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Besides, the men still post here anyway. So if there's something here that men can offer a useful response to, go ahead. It won't be wasted.
You're probably referring to my valuable insights in the "Sailing Braless" thread.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-25-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You're probably referring to my valuable insights in the "Sailing Braless" thread.
I liked that thread.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic