Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012

pointyendfirst is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

I agree with PCP about the tasks being gender-neutral- e.g. I look under maintenance for info on re-seating chain plates or whatever- but what i find female-specific is the emotions that accompany re-fit tasks. Many woman haven't had as much of a background of messing about with cars, or wiring, or woodworking (remember when girls did home ec and boys did shop?) that give you a basis for taking on some of the work of owning and maintaining a boat.

Donna totally gets it: even though running aground etc is gender-neutral, the responses aren't always, and the encouragement isn't always. So I wanna be able to whine to other women about how I am having a hard time learning what is an amp and what is a volt before i start on re-wiring, whereas da boyz are often starting with a set of skills and knowledge that I ain't got. Of course, I suck at the "pink" tasks too- my boat is infamous for having the worst crew rations evah (usually bad quiche in sandwich bags, to be squeezed into the mouth when hunger strikes.)

and of course share the misery of sailing bra-less in choppy seas....

Thanks to all for making SailNet what it is, and hersailnet what it is!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi Wing,

let me remind you that some of the best sailors around are women and I mean racing offshore solo racers. Most of them are quite light and are not body builders, but regular fit girls: You have Jeanne, Sam and Ellen, all light, apparentely fragile and all capable of beaten most men in long offshore races, including non stop circumnavigation.

Todayís equipment is easier and easier to use and require less force, not to mention all hydraulic and electrical helps. Many sailors are old and the boat builders make boats that they can sail easily and I am not only referring to heavy boats, fast boats too are easy to sail.

One of the boats I saw when I was looking for my new boat was a 2008 Salona 42, a very fast boat. The boat was a bit unclean and the seller explained that the boat was sailed by a 83 yearís old sailor and his also old wife. The boat was for sell because the guy had bought a brand new Grand Soleil 43 (also a very fast boat). It seems that his biggest problem for them is not sailing the boat, but cleaning it

Regards

Paulo
Agreed, but these women and boats are the elite. Our neighbor is a single woman in her mid-60s who sails an older Hans Christian 40, big heavy boat. She has solved the strength problem by using a cordless drill as an electric winch grinder.

I was thinking more about maintenance than sailing: My little fingers can get into tight places to connect wires, for example. Possibly better than a big guy. At the same time, if it's a frozen seacock in a tight space, I may be able to get to it, but once there lack the strength in my hands to wrestle it open. That's where perhaps women and men could use different strategies to solve the problem.

Pointy, if you're on Facebook there's a group called "Women Who Sail" PM me for details.

About the training: can do you online courses, such as SSCA webinars? For navigation, how long are you going to be in the US? Coast Guard has some awesome courses for very little cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-26-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Hope to meet you at the SSCA gam with the rest of us women sailors. Doing a safari is #1 on my bucket list. One day, dreaming.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 06-26-2012

Love the idea of using a cordless drill to winch- I am mid-fifties and somewhat arthritic so anything that spares the thumbs, knees and elbows is great! I am 5'10" so don't have dainty hands..

Internet fairly slow here, can't really watch videos unless i spend a lot of time buffering, but a friend (one of the only other women sailors here) did an RYA Nav course on line which I am considering. Hadn't thought of the USCG one, sounds good since ASA etc are pretty pricey. Will PM for info on the facebook group!

thanks again-
Old 06-26-2012

Melissa Renee, I am going to look into my FF ticket back to the states for the SSCA gam/ABS, I really look forward to meeting all these great sailing women! Am trying to get my cousin to sail up for it from Deltaville (with me...) as he is a relatively new sailor and think he would really benefit as will I.

Hope to spend some time after the gam/ABS maybe helping someone deliver a boat somewhere or take a course. Any ideas are welcome!
Old 06-26-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

When you get here I have two lady's that are ASA instructors that can help you with any courses you need. Let me know.
Melissa
pointyendfirst likes this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 10-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I really don't see gender unless some exudes the stereotype. I'm guessing most here wouldn't call me the silent type. I don't think about it. If I have something to say, I say it, although as diplomatically as possible. Gotta keep the peace!
Old 10-17-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

Adding to this thread...I took my first sailboat cruise two Sundays ago and am hooked. It was also a blast having a very young woman capn (capn Adele) to take us out. She said she was the youngest female to become a captain. (Or something like that). I literally felt like my granddaughter was steering the boat. Made me proud to see a young woman be that good at something like this, and to be doing what she loves.

I loved being topside, and actually did ok below deck. Was leary about that..thought I'd start puking my insides out. But nope. Did ok. Hubby and I are looking at used boats since we really can't afford a new one...and it's definitely a learning experience for us. We're researching many name brand sailboats and so much to learn. Many boats to look at! I think I could be good at this sailing thing if I put my mind and body to it. How long did it take you other ladies to learn to sail?

Last edited by dsullyec1; 10-17-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Sully - to learn? A couple of weeks with a good teacher. To master? Um, its been 15 years and I still am finding new things ...

Love it!

That's not meant to be disheartening. It's very straightforward to get the basics so you can get out on the water. The subtleties will keep you entertained and challenged and inspired and growing; never gets old.
smackdaddy likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-18-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
Harder to fry up fish in, too
Different tools for different tasks. Use a cast iron skillet to cook the product of fishing. Use an e-cast iron skillet to to cook phishing.

Tom
wingNwing likes this.
Pasadena, MD