SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

35K views 236 replies 63 participants last post by  emcentar 
#1 ·
Sailing is so sexist that the ladies here feel too inferior to post?

They are treated rudely or not taken seriously?

Anything they say is invalidated?

OK to rant Ladies!

Reactions: messer999
#11 ·
Silent? Hmm, I don't want to talk politics, had enough of that when I worked in DC; that keeps me out of the "off topic" forums. I don't want to get into fights and I don't want to talk about things I know nothing about (like racing). Now I seem to have cut myself out of about 80% of the threads ...

About the other 20%, I'm willing to contribute if I've got something to say. Otherwise, you can find me in the cockpit, watching the water go by. If I seem to be gloating about living on my boat instead of in a cubicle, yeah, you got that right!

Seriously, I've made a lot of friends through Sailnet - I love this place!

#16 ·
Chef2sail<----not fooled by wingnwing. I enjoy talking to you in any forum. I have also met a lot of nice people on Sailnet. Only 310 days (approx) to our next Annual Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club.

Reactions: wingNwing
#17 ·
:) See what I mean about making friends here? :)

#20 · (Edited)
Not to sure why we ladies don't post as often as we should but that is the reality of all bulletin boards on the internet. Like in real life we mostly listen, take notes and learn what we can. Once in while, when we contribute, choose the topic with great care in what we have to say. Most of us are not as bold as the other gender into entering discussions which may lead to arguments on how things should be right or wrong. Just the nature of the beast.

#25 ·
I thought it is quite the opposite. When female member posts, all guys jump into action and hope for a date. It does not matter if he is married and not. You can see the post counts. :laugher

Why ladies don't like to post because too many men with Hi-T are hitting on them. They are sick of tired of it. so they register with a guy name to protect the female identity &#8230;&#8230;. Oooops, I gave out my secrets. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
they register with a guy name to protect the female identity &#8230;&#8230;.
I think this happens more often than people realize. Sad to say but guys don't take advice/help from women very well unless it's cooking or knitting or some other foo-foo girly task.

#32 ·
Welcome Deborah!

I know, it can be hard to tell from the username who the women are in the forum. Most of the responses in the herSailnet section are from men!

There is a lot of valid information in the forum. Sometimes you get different opinions on the same subject. All the different opinions may be valid, but sometimes you have to figure out which one fits your situation.

#34 ·
Hi Deb! Welcome aboard! Yes it's hard to id who's who. One of my irritants. People that only ID the spouse and seem to have none of their own is another!

#35 ·
Then sometimes you can not tell by the name......

I remember another thread in another forum, the handle was DEB. A lot thought the person was female using a shortened Debbie to Deb......Turns out said male was using his Initials! IE he was a Dan or doug or some such thing........

anyway, its a saturday, off to work of all things. oh yeah, one gets somewhat used to the m/f differences having grown up with 5 sisters and mom......then again, not sure I will. I will say, ALL have given me good advice on things thru the years!

Marty

#36 ·
"Most of us are not as bold as the other gender into entering discussions which may lead to arguments on how things should be right or wrong. Just the nature of the beast." said Melrna.

Exactly. It's testosterone. We got it, they don't. Well, not in the arrogant quantities that we have.

I had a female friend tell me that women can talk smack just like men, it's just that they don't revel in it like men do. We men are a rough lot, mouthy, aggressive, a bit crass, and seem to always be ready for a fight.

And strangely, women love us for it.

Now THAT'S sexy!

I don't get it, but as the above says, Nature of the Beast!

#38 ·
Hmmm . . . room here for a Beyonce cover: "All the silent ladies!"

#39 ·
Sad to say, I've found that men tend to not take the female sailors seriously around here too often, unless they do something like get a captain's license or anything on that order. I've asked lots of questions & tend to get ignored, put down or otherwise treated like an ignorant ass for asking. But they'll let me clean their boats - yep, they'll take that. And they'll act shocked when I don't panic in severe weather.

As far as not posting much, I'm not on line much.

#45 ·
Sad to say, I've found that men tend to not take the female sailors seriously around here too often, unless they do something like get a captain's license or anything on that order. I've asked lots of questions & tend to get ignored, put down or otherwise treated like an ignorant ass for asking. But they'll let me clean their boats - yep, they'll take that. And they'll act shocked when I don't panic in severe weather.

As far as not posting much, I'm not on line much.
Have you seen my latest race write-up? Two very attractive, very able, very hard-ass ladies on our crew. And trust me...they weren't the quiet type.

Sailing Chicks Rock.

(And Denise Rules.)

#40 ·
SJ, Even on the job when I had a crew working on an installation, the clients very often would ask about details and technical things from the guys working for me, instead of me, and I'd be standing right there or nearby LOL This is often after I've already met with them and answered the same questions when I sold the installation.

In forums like this; when people ask about HVAC things people tell them to talk an "expert" LOL then when I do finally offer help or advice someone nit picks what I'm saying rather then try and help the OP.

So glad I'm not an angry feminist anymore!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.