Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011

mfsykes is on a distinguished road
Interior colors - why white?

OK, so we've been living aboard for almost 2 years now. The outside is coming along quite nicely - although I seem to be doing all the sanding and varnishing. We have a 39' Landfall Vagabond (think pirate ship with all the teak, except the deck). The interior, a pilot house, has beautiful, rich teak, but I'm not liking the stark white paint next to this rich wood. As the paint is in need of being redone, I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried another color?

I understand using a light color to keep it from being so dark, but, come on, white? It shows dirt, stains, and seems so stark.

Any suggestions?

Melissa
s/v Cheechako
St. Augustine
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
American laFrance has about 200 stock colors of "fire engine red" that they build fire engines with. Pittsburgh Paint used to count some 4000 colors in "red" alone.

So, whatever floats your boat, Melissa. You own it, do whatever makes you happy in it. Paisley wallpaper, red velvet flocking, gold leaf....Just please, don't hang deer and moose heads on the walls, the pointy bits can be dangerous in a seaway. (G)
Old 09-20-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
while it may not be the best to go with the teak, when I repainted the head I used yellow, and it seems to brighten up the space more than the old white did... heck she's yours, go with whatever you like!!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-20-2011

mfsykes is on a distinguished road
colors

Am thinking something along the lines of taupe or even a very light olive green...there really isn't much that's not teak.

You're all right - it's my boat, so there are no bad colors! Well, there are, of course, but we'll try to stay away from things like lilac or flamingo pink, etc.
Old 09-20-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsykes View Post
Am thinking something along the lines of taupe or even a very light olive green...there really isn't much that's not teak.

You're all right - it's my boat, so there are no bad colors! Well, there are, of course, but we'll try to stay away from things like lilac or flamingo pink, etc.
Actually lilac and flamingo pink together would make a statement

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-20-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's your boat/home, so there are no rules or limits! We're using a couple of beiges - interlux's "Bristol Beige" (which is a golden beige) and a khaki/almond color that has a little more gray in it. Both are softer on the eyes than white, and play off the teak. We've paired it with a soft silvery-green upholstery and are very happy with the result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: