Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011

Robert/BalticPole is on a distinguished road
Boat should be the last thing. First make friends that own boats, sail for few weeks and see if you like it. Boat is a prison cell or paradise depending on the crew more than anything else. There are always boats that look for crew members for certain legs. I had a friend who was begging me to cross Atlantic with him couple of times - now I wish I did it. Next year I should be in his shoes - that's why I am doing website for my boat and will make it popular among friends and friends of friends - to make sure I am not drinking morning coffe to a mirror.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
First of all Welcome. As one that has been here on Sailnet for awhile, this can be a great place to learn things big and small. I encourage you to use the search engine first if you have any questions. Over the years some great information from present and past members. However, you can always ask again, and an answer shall be provided. You can always ask me in private and I am sure Donna as well.
I might have missed where you live, but Paul's suggestion is a real good start. I too started out with a Tanzar 22 which I raced for 3 years before moving on to big boats. A person can learn more in one season racing that 10 years cruising in boat handling.
I would caution on crewing OTB (Other Peoples Boats) unless you know them or are recommended too.
I live on a Hunter 36 alone, sail her alone and go to the Bahamas on her. It is a good size boat and easy to sail. She is my escape away from the crazy world so I do understand.
Once again welcome here, and if you need to just ignore some of the more "forward" replies. I try to monitor them and if need too have them deleted from this forum.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 11-21-2011

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
I would recommend reading The Voyager's Handbook by Beth A Leonard
DRFerron, Melrna and Jane.Joy like this.
Old 11-21-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl48 View Post
I'm at a point where I have few, if any, strings left. My job is going away. There are no kids at home. And I want to see more of the world by water.

I've done day sailing and a few weekends. I want to take off and escape it all!

Any pointers?
Priceless! Now where are all the single women who are like this?? Maybe you can give me some pointers on finding them? If I ever had a wife or girlfriend tell me something like this, I would buy us the biggest, nicest Beneteau you can lay your eyes on no matter if I have to break the bank or not. Name that yacht "Paradise Bound", then we would set sail and find our paradise. See, the problem I have is I am really into sailing and kayaking and any woman I am with would really have to enjoy doing this stuff with me. You are another proof they are out there.

Well at last there are many here who can provide lots of advice. I have only done day, overnight, and weekend sailing so I am in the same boat as you but I have an Oday 22. Hey you ever heard that song "The Climb" by Miley Cirus? Look it up, it's pretty cool and may inspire you to keep your dreams going. It's all about the climb so keep climbing just as that song will tell you. Well good luck to you!

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 11-21-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Priceless! Now where are all the single women who are like this?? Maybe you can give me some pointers on finding them?
All in the timing, friend, all in the timing.

(And let her pick out the boat. There's a pointer. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-21-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Since you have already owned a small keelboat and likely have a reasonable amount of experience - I would suggest you jump in right away.

My other reccomendation would be to charter for a minimum of 2 weeks with a couple of friends, perhaps you charter for a month and have your friends come for one week shifts.

If that works - then you'll know what you will want in a boat
Old 11-21-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The suggetion to charter a few different boats might be the best way to start. Then you can get into a few different sizes, figure out the size, style of boat you like then jump both feet forward into a boat and enjoy!

Marty
Old 11-25-2011
Take me away!

sailorgirl48 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for all the great suggestions - especially the reading suggestions. They are all great.

sailguy40 - there are plenty of women around with every interest and desire you're looking for. I've often found many men's expectations and unwillingness to compromise often gets in the way of them finding out what's available, even when it's right in front of them. You don't always have to climb. Sometimes you only need to reach out with an open hand.
DRFerron and VentureCat15 like this.
Old 11-25-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
If you are still needing a bit of topical reading may I suggest 'My Ship is So Small' By Ann Davidson.
Old 11-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl48 View Post
?..... I've often found many men's expectations and unwillingness to compromise often gets in the way of them finding out what's available.......
Make that many people's expectations...... No gender, race, religion or club has exclusivity on that problem.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.