Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011
Take me away!

sailorgirl48 is on a distinguished road
Sailing off...

I'm at a point where I have few, if any, strings left. My job is going away. There are no kids at home. And I want to see more of the world by water.

I've done day sailing and a few weekends. I want to take off and escape it all!

Any pointers?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Hi sailorgirl,

This week alone has brought a slew a people joining the forums who want to do the same thing and from the limited information you provided, I don't have an idea of your sailing experience and background. Just saying that you have daysailed (for a couple weekends? For the past 20 years?) doesn't say much. I would suggest starting out by cruising this forum. Start with the Liveaboard & Cruising forum.

Spend some time determining where you want to cruise so that you can narrow down the choices of type of boat you will need. Be realistic about your plans. I wonder how many people who want to "sail the world" really get all that far offshore?

While the thought of escaping by boat is great in theory, it's not always the same in practice. Read books by those doing it, ask questions in the forum, get a true idea of what you'll be looking forward to.

If you have the means, I would also consider chartering for a few weeks at a time in different locations. You'll get a better idea of how you'll do "out there" as far as boat handling is concerned as well as get experience on larger boats. Most boats suitable for just daysailing won't be adequate for offshore. Also, different personal skills will be needed as well as different equipment requirements for your boat.

Lots of people will tell you to "just do it" and throw caution to the wind, but I tend to err on the side of my and my crew's safety. The more you know and train for, the better equipped you'll be to deal with the emergency situations that will arise and therefore have a more pleasant experience.

Take classes so that you are aware of your legal responsibilities, required equipment. Learn how to read the weather and not depend solely on other people's forecasts. I recommend joining Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) and participating in their webinars and taking advantage of the vast amount of members' offshore experience.

Good luck with your journey towards leaving (it can be just as exciting if you let it) and don't stop learning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-20-2011
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road
Life is to short.... Do it girl....
Old 11-20-2011
Take me away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccouple View Post
Life is to short.... Do it girl....
That's where I am right now. I'm done with waiting. I might need some help but I'll get there.
Old 11-20-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl48 View Post
That's where I am right now. I'm done with waiting. I might need some help but I'll get there.
Sorry for my post. I wasn't suggesting not to do it, just advocating doing it better informed and safely.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-20-2011
Take me away!

No, it's OK - I appreciate (and need) the advice.
Old 11-20-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
OK, how about more info.
Give us more details on your sailing experience. Where and what kind of boat or boats?
Where do you plan to sail to? Do you want to go around the world which includes a lot of wide open water, just up and down one of the coasts or maybe around the Caribbean where you're never really far from land?
Now the big one. Budget. How much do you have to spend on your initial out lay and how much do you have to finance your adventure? How long do you plan to do this, 6 months or several years?
We need lots more info other than just wanting to chuck everything and sail off into the sunset.
Old 11-20-2011
Take me away!

My husband and I owned a small Hunter sailboat that we used here and there. I learned enough to know that I wanted more time on it.

Now I'd like to travel around the Caribbean. I can afford a good used boat from what I've seen on yacht world and I think I can even earn enough for living expenses.

I don't have any time length for traveling. I just want to do it until I'm done with it. That might be a month or I might be buried at sea. I'm done with planning decades of life - I want to take it now as it comes.
Old 11-20-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Small Hunter, how small?
Sailing here and there, protected inland lakes or out in the open water where nasty weather can get real nasty?
You can afford a decent boat. About what size do you think you want? We ask how much money because we see it all the time where a dreamer thinks he can find an old derelict for a couple thousand dollars, fix it up and sail around the world. if you want advice, we want a dollar figure on how much you plan to spend. Stop being so vague.
Old 11-20-2011
Take me away!

Let's see - lots of questions:

We had a Hunter 22.

We sailed out of Brunswick, GA along the inter coastal and offshore to Port Royal Sound and Fernandina Beach. That's as far as we went.

I think a 28' boat would be perfect for me.

I don't think a particular dollar amount needs to be stated. It's enough that I know how to see what's available and I'm a big enough girl to be able to handle my own finances.