Old 02-01-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Is the cockpit self bailing?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
C_Witch,

A few thoughts:

Plenty of people have made passages in pocket cruisers. In fact, someone just started a pocket cruiser thread, listing all kinds of tough little boats. My only question about your boat, is the swing keel. How much ballast is in that keel? How much ballast does a Sea Witch have? Hopefully this is not a very tender boat. It would be interesting to know what the Stability Index is for this boat.

It's good that you've upgraded the standing rigging, but this puts more weight aloft, and if the boat is already tender, you have exacerbated this a little bit. In the ocean, this can be a Bad Thing.

Provisions:

I agree, that a lot of dehydrated food can dent your water supply. Canned foods are heavier and take up more room, but you're carrying fluids in the cans. There are also military type MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat) that are not dehydrated, yet also not packed full of water, and stow more easily than canned foods. They are also self-heating. Check with your local hiking/backpacking supplier, or online.

Water: I recommend either collapsible water bladders or the 2.5 gallon jugs with a spout instead of 1 gallon jugs. The bladders and 2.5 gallon jugs can be set on any horizontal surface with the spout open to provide "running" water. You can't do that with a gallon jug, plus gallon jugs will cause more plastic waste, and don't compress down as easily when they're empty.

Stowage:

You probably already know this, but stow all of your heavy foods and fluids down as low in the boat as possible so that it will perform as additional ballast instead of a hindrence, up high, making the boat more tender.

2 people on a 20 footer, plus provisions... whew, that's going to be tight.

Good luck, post pictures, start a blog or something!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Staying well hydrated can make the difference in everything from being alert to avoiding seasickness. You should never feel thirsty or your body is telling you something. (margarita thirsty is a whole different matter) I would consider a hand operated watermaker. I would still plan to carry enough, but that way you don't have to worry as much.
BubbleheadMd and -OvO- like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-02-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
Just a thought on the food rations. I would look into canned foods that will not need re-hydration thus allowing for more efficient use of your limited water supply.
Hiee,

We will likely carry some canned goods as you can't get everything in dehydrated/freezedried format. Can don't sto well on small boats due to limited space and compartmental shape not to mention the additional weight of the metal. The other thing to note is that I am talking about food stuffs that are utilized while moving from point A to B and NOT while on the hook at any particular destination.

c_witch
Old 02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Is the cockpit self bailing?

Regards,
Brad
Hiee,

Yes the cockpit is self draining and will double as both tub and shower . using seawater and NOT fresh water. Its a single 1 1/2'' inch drain drain via a thru hull in the stern.

c_witch
Old 02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
long ago i decided not to install a regular water tank,you can never be sure of the water quaility in many places,i just use the one gallon water jugs and store them in any available space,i take saltwater baths and wash my clothes in salt water,i've never came close to running out of drinking water,a smaller boat can be seaworthy[flicka] comes to mind but for many people comfort is the main concern
LOL the comfort word. My only regret with out boat is not having standing head room in the cabin. I have considered cutting the cabin roof astern of the mast step and raising the cabin height and eliminating the sliding companion way hatches and installing a sea door from the cockpit. The downside being windage from a greater cabin height. We also intend to use seawater for bathing and washing when fresh water is not available. We will also be using a custom made foldable canvas funnel to collect rain water to replenish the fresh water tankage. I have also been inclined to have on board the water purifiers that one uses for backpacking in the wilds.

c_witch
Old 02-02-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_witch View Post
LOL the comfort word. My only regret with out boat is not having standing head room in the cabin. I have considered cutting the cabin roof astern of the mast step and raising the cabin height and eliminating the sliding companion way hatches and installing a sea door from the cockpit.

c_witch
i wouldn't do that,most of your time except sleeping will be in the cockpit anyway and on hot nights i often sleep there too,also its not a good idea to cook much in the cabin,grease etc builds up quickly and in unexcessable areas,when off shore monitor the weather frequently,afternoon popup stoms can't always be avoided but usually don't last long
Old 02-02-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
...I have also been inclined to have on board the water purifiers that one uses for backpacking in the wilds.

c_witch
Those are for removing bacteria from otherwise drinkable water. Rainwater should be okay unless your collectors are dirty. Desalination is something very different. And as stated before, hand operated desalinators are available.

(That said, we have a pur filter on our galley faucet.)

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-02-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
collecting water

Quote:
LOL the comfort word. My only regret with out boat is not having standing head room in the cabin. I have considered cutting the cabin roof astern of the mast step and raising the cabin height and eliminating the sliding companion way hatches and installing a sea door from the cockpit. The downside being windage from a greater cabin height. We also intend to use seawater for bathing and washing when fresh water is not available. We will also be using a custom made foldable canvas funnel to collect rain water to replenish the fresh water tankage. I have also been inclined to have on board the water purifiers that one uses for backpacking in the wilds.

c_witch
We had a water-collector that was made from one of those blue, el cheap tarps that was about 5' x 2' collection area when open. Not terribly useful. Couple of thoughts - if you have a bolt rope at the bottom of your mainsail you may be able to use the main and boom as a collector since most of the rain will run into the boom. You can run a hose from the boom to your water tank. Also, depending on where your tank fill is you may be able to use your deck to collect water. It can be as simple as bunching up a towel just 'downhill' from the deck plate so act as a dam. These things work because it is easy to keep the boat clean when away from shore (heck, even away from cities). In tropical areas you tend to get brief, intense storms so you just need to let the first couple of minutes of rain wash away the salt and the start collecting. Not hard to get 5 gallons or more.

The camping water purifiers are not a bad idea if your water is suspect, You only need to use the purifier to clean water for drinking and cooking which is good because they are slow to use. Also, if you can get one with a back-flushing capability it would be good to save on filters.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I had a Jaguar 22 with the pop top and cruised it [2 years ]also had a small RV with no pop top so no standing headroom [10 years.

The ONLY thing I found you had to stand up for was to don tight trousers. Eveything else can be done sitting down.

I would go for it with what you have just be real conservative about the weather.