Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
a MSD with a 2.5 g holding tank can easily get filled in 2 days with 2 people. As you move south, you may find that you need to be outside the 3 mile limit to pump out overboard or otherwise get a legal pumpout at a coastal marina or port. You might have a creative solution for collecting fresh water, but dumping your head could be a limiting factor as you move along the coast, especially if you stay in the ICW.

Up to 10 days at a time offshore? If you are planning to stay as close to shore as you say, you will be dealing with a foul current from the Gulf Stream going south and need to figure out what makes sense in putting miles under your keel. Staying inside is longer and involves drawbridges that will slow you down. If you are going outside and intend to hug the coast, you will need to understand that there are not that many good inlets along the US coast in bad weather and plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
a MSD with a 2.5 g holding tank can easily get filled in 2 days with 2 people. As you move south, you may find that you need to be outside the 3 mile limit to pump out overboard or otherwise get a legal pumpout at a coastal marina or port. You might have a creative solution for collecting fresh water, but dumping your head could be a limiting factor as you move along the coast, especially if you stay in the ICW.

Up to 10 days at a time offshore? If you are planning to stay as close to shore as you say, you will be dealing with a foul current from the Gulf Stream going south and need to figure out what makes sense in putting miles under your keel. Staying inside is longer and involves drawbridges that will slow you down. If you are going outside and intend to hug the coast, you will need to understand that there are not that many good inlets along the US coast in bad weather and plan accordingly.
Hiee,

Running down the ICW does not really interest us in the least so we will be ocean sailing. Its my understanding that the Gulfstream 'proper' is well east of where we would intend to be cruising on our way down, although I also understand there are some rather powerful eddies associated with it to the west.

Here in Canada the dumping limit is 7 miles offshore so our course would be taking us more or less 7 to 10 miles off the eastern seaboard or further east/west as conditions dictate.

Keel up we draw slightly less then 2 feet of water so beaching if need be on the lee ward side of a island,spit etc to avoid a nasty frontal system is doable as well as running up a small river/stream etc. I consider anything when one is further than a 24 hour run from land to be offshore so we will for the most part be inshore. One of our larger passages will simply be crossing the Gulf of Maine.

c_witch
Old 02-06-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
c_witch:

If you make it past Cape Hatteras in a 22 ft boat without considering the charms of the ICW, I'll be surprised.

Your storm strategy need a little more work, IMHO, especially the part about beaching.
Old 02-07-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Don't be quick to reject the ICW. I brought my ketch from Florida to New York. Two days at sea, bad weather drove us inside, five days ICW, thee more days at sea, etc. Parts of the ICW are very wild and beautiful, salt marshes, lonely rivers. There are waterfowl and alligators. It's worth seeing.
Old 02-07-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think that parts of the ICW are fine, but it is not sailing. Might be a good idea to stay inside to miss Hatteras - which means you get to do one of the nicer bits of the ICW. Other than that, just pick your spots. Lots of opportunities to sail. The Gulf Stream is a long way offshore most of the way down. Even off Florida you should have a couple of miles. As for eddies and the like, sometimes they will help and sometimes hinder - such is life. I think some of the posters need to get out sailing a bit more. Maybe it is a winter thing.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 02-08-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
ICW for sure isn't sailing, but you do get to make progress while waiting for the weather.
Old 02-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
7 miles off shore through Diamond Shoals in a 22ft boat....not too safe an idea. As poreviously said inlets can be few and far between, 22 foot boat with a weak auxillary motor coming through a tidal inlet with opposing wind. Difficult at best.

This trip is nothing to sneeze at as many of us are coastal cruisers who build up to a trip down the east coast...in usually larger boats..and some of us actually travel a bit of the distance inside in the ICW for a reason...not because we like going through bridges or like the shallow grounding possibilites.

Plan this trip more thoroughly. Just a suggestion and not meant to be negative or deter your progress.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-08-2012

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
I agree with the other posters that not doing the ICW you will be missing a lot. But each to their own.

You didn't mention ground tackle. What are your plans here?

As a poor boy freeze dried foods are to costly for us. We do have a number of different package food that can be purchased from any grocery store. Can food can be easily stored in lockers under settee or quarter berth. I know because I have to live on Ensure and I have 60 day supply on board.

I agree that 2.5 gallon MSD is a little small for 2. You might get 3 day as long as you don't pee in it. Don't use the stored water. Use a jug and pour only what is needed to clean. We lay paper in the bowl then use a very small amount of water to flush. No mess to try to clean. RV paper works best.

You might be selling yourself short on the gas. We have a 6 and 3 marine gas tanks and carry 2 five gallon cans. We figure 15 miles per gallon and motor sail as much as possible in the ditch.

If I missed it what are you cooking with? We have a Magma and a 2 burner Coleman.

We are leaving the end of March in a Starwind 22. The two of us and one Yorkie dog. We will do the ditch because the Gulf is no place for small boats much less the 1000+ oil rigs you have to fight. Oh did I forget the ship traffic. I've done part of the La. and Texas ICW and have found it very interesting.

We are in know hurry to get any place. Plan on enjoying the US coast. So much to see. We don't need to go to some other country to enjoy sailing. Right now the water here is crystal clear and a beautiful green.

Last edited by Lostmt; 02-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Big boat little boat :(

Hiee,

It seems as though many replies here have been from those with larger boats. While I do value what you have to say, there always seems to be a bias towards anyone planning to sail a route in a smaller boat.

I did grow up in the sunshine state and have spent many hours out in the atlantic and the gulf and am quite aware of the types of weather and how fast they can come about. As I mentioned in my opening of this thread, we will be spending at least a year doing shake down cruising off the coast of Nova Scotia with eventual cruises into and accross the Gulf of Maine, which can be nasty on it own accord ie weather and currents.

While our main water tankage is only 20 gallons we will also be carrying additional water in jugs and adding 10 gallons or so that way. This water is solely for drinking cooking etc as sea water is more then suitable for washing as well as the MSD flushing etc.

We will not be on any formal time schedule to arrive here or there at a particular time and so our head way concerns will be dictated by our stores on board. While we don't particularly enjoy a rough ride we are prepared to deal with it given the size of our boat.

I thought I had mentioned that we have a 2 burner propane stove on board. Anchoring will be via 2 danforths with 100 feet of line and 20 feet of chain on one and 200 feet of line and 20 feet of chain on the other. I have yet to decide about carrying a sea anchor.
Our outboard long shaft at 7 1/2 hp is more then ample to propel our boat even in heavy weather, although that will be tested in the coming shake down cruises.

c_witch
Old 02-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I suggest you plot all the passable inlets from North Jersey to Ga first. Look at your distances and strat breaking it down into smaller trips. I would still avoid the Cchesapeak entrance to Morehead City on the outside.

Experienced sailors do unless they travel outside the Gulf Stream in the Hatterass area no m,atter what sized boat..

By breaking you journey into the components it may give you an idea of the bail out or stopping points. Thats the only agenda you need then.

Dave

Safety first

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.