Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I sincerely believe this would be a dangerous trip for a number of reasons. And, I agree with Dave, stay inside at least until you reach Morehead City, NC. It's a nasty stretch of water, the inlets are among the most dangerous on the East Coast and that tiny outboard motor would never be able to handle the standing waves let along the incredibly strong currents.

Once you arrive in south Florida, that MSD and outside showers is going to be a problem. Most of south Florida is a No Discharge Zone. All sinks, galley and head, must be routed to a holding tank. Yes, you can take an outdoor shower, but the soapy water cannot be discharged overboard. There was a thread pertaining to this on the Sail Net not too long ago, but I'm not sure where it is. You could also Google the Florida Marine Patrol site and get the necessary information about discharging overboard.

As Dave said, "Safety First".

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
no rules against swimming is there?besides southern fla holds no inspiration for me
Old 02-08-2012

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_witch View Post

Anchoring will be via 2 danforths with 100 feet of line and 20 feet of chain on one and 200 feet of line and 20 feet of chain on the other. I have yet to decide about carrying a sea anchor.
You did not say the size of your danforths. I carry 2 danforths 8# each as a lunch hook or backup if needed. I would not depend on them holding in bad weather or a wind shift. My main is a 16.5# Bruce with 28' of 1/4 chain and 150' of rode. I will be adding another 22' of chain before we leave. When I drop my anchor I don't want to worry about dragging in the middle of the night when the wind shifts. I also carry a sea anchor.

I can't say about the east coast but here at my location we have what we call the big jetties. Chart 11317 There is no way I would take my 22' boat through them. I've done a number of trips through in a 41' Tartan and every time we had 10 to 12' rollers. Quite a ride in that boat.
Old 02-09-2012

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
What about communication? VHF, SSB, Radar, Weather Fax, EPIR and life raft? Planning on being off shore for 10 days wouldn't you need these items.
Old 02-09-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
If you have not already bought your anchors you might want to consider two anchors of different types rather than two Danforths - would help in different conditions since the Danforths are great where they are great but have problems with some bottom conditions.
Old 02-09-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Experienced sailors do unless they travel outside the Gulf Stream in the Hatterass area no m,atter what sized boat.
Well, not me. I cross the Gulf Stream as early as possible if I'm heading to the Bahamas or Caribbean. Heading to Florida I stay closer to Diamond Shoals. Regardless, you need to watch the weather forecasts and you have to know what you are looking at and what it means. Read that twice. *grin*

I've run around the shoals in both directions more times than I can count. The weather can be ugly but more often than not it is fine. The key is watching the forecasts.

Most of my deliveries are on boats bigger than yours which is a factor. I used to have a Catalina Capri 22 and spent some time cruising a Catalina 22 pop-top. You can do it, but you have to account for very slow passages and lots of boat motion. It isn't pretty. I wouldn't do it, but I would have when I was young.

Southbound on your boat stay the heck out of the Gulf Stream or you won't make any progress at all.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.