Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008

jmw is on a distinguished road
Just started single-handing myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyWakefield View Post
This is all very new to me as I just got back into sailing at the age of 56. I just purchased a Bayfield 25 and am slowly learning all over again after 35 years off the water. I love reading everyones comments and it is very encouraging for me. Thanks
Hi Judy,

I just joined the forum, and, am interested in getting a more comfortable boat so that I can spend more time out there. This past sailing season, I just started solo sailing a little 19-foot swing keel boat. I did sail it with friends when I could, but couldn't always find crew. It's been a fun learning experience, and takes my mind off any trouble I might have on land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2008

JudyWakefield is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi there - Havent had sailing on my mind lately since I live in the great white north in Nova Scotia. My boat is in my back yard covered and plugged in to keep the batteries from freezing. I didnt have much of a chance to do any sailing before taking her out for the winter. Thanks for the note - keep in touch and let me know where you sail etc
Judy
Old 12-19-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I would like to add my welcome as well to JMW and Judy. I love to see more of us out there especially single handling the boat. As far as docking the boat, I too have no problems calling the marina for "For all hands on Deck with hooks!" to help get my boat into the slip when the winds get a little nasty out of the wrong direction. When no help is available, my dock and boat have lots of fenders/bumpers to help squeeze her in. Just take it nice and slow. Also, always have a plan on exactly what you are going to do in all wind directions and current. I have written mine out in my play book. The best thing you can learn is how to spring in/out of your slip if your dock set-up allows it. In addition, at least once a month do power drills on your boat to understand how she handles turning to port/starboard and backing up in both directions using the motor. When the winds are strong, greater than 10 knots, this is especially important to do them to see how the bow swings or doesn't. Some boats takes greater speed going backward to get the rudder effective and overcome both prop walk and wind pressure on the bow. Practice makes perfect in understanding your boat capabilities.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 01-09-2009
caymandj

caymandj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New TOO!!

Wow, am I glad to find this link.

My Dad was a Merchant Mariner. My first in awe moment of the water was looking at his old pics and his certs with mermaids. I was 3. Later lots of time swimming and hearing about ships and storms and such. Years later a friend at work had a sailboat. Took me out and showed me how to sail-he laid down for a nap and I sailed her all day. Fed him by throwing him sandwich and kept sailing. 12 hrs later he asked if he could dock her. (dropped head down). Now at 55 a family member has given me a small sailboat 19' swing keel with trailer and all. She is ready for water. Bringing her down to FL this spring. Have lessons lined up to start in Feb.

My goal-single hander
later a bigger ketch

Admire you all greatly

Mellissa-if I get down to Key B can I visit sometime?

Hide=and your 45' steele lady. Best of luck and post as I would like to follow your dream as it is so close to mine.

This spot rocks!!!

Happy sails

caydj
Old 01-09-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymandj View Post
Wow, am I glad to find this link.

Mellissa-if I get down to Key B can I visit sometime?

caydj
Anytime, I would love to have any of the fine sailors here go sailing with me. It would be such an honor!
Rickenbacker Marina to Rickenbacker Marina | The Revolution
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 01-09-2009

jmw is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice

Melissa,

Many thanks for the tips on docking and maneuvering exercises. Having lots of fenders and spring lines available are certainly handy when docking!

jmw
Ad Astra
Old 01-20-2009

KellyMarcena is on a distinguished road
I joined Sailnet yesterday and am so glad to have found this thread today -

I am looking forward to my third summer on Esmeralda, my 1982 Pearson 26 - am married but my husband loves the farm (and HATES heeling) so I go by myself, or with my 11 year old first mate son, or with a friend or two...and everytime I learn something new and gain more confidence. The challenges I have set for myself for this coming season are sailing to the dock (not motoring), anchoring (it's amazing that I haven't quite gotten to that one yet) and a two day cruise down Casco Bay to the Saco River. We'll see how it all pans out.

I agree wholeheartedly with so many of the comments in this thread - I do receive both admiration from both genders as well as looks of incredulity as I talk about singlehanding (I am 45) - even just in protected water for an afternoon. It has definitely been a challenge for me to believe in my own capabilities and I also love the euphoria at the end of the safe mooring (sailed onto the mooring last summer - met that challenge!). And I also prefer to take someone with me - it's just more fun.

Two winters ago I took a group of women on a charter to the BVI's - a wonderful learning experience for me as skipper - but that's another thread.

Thanks for posting your stories and come on summer!

KellyMarcena
s/v Esmeralda
Pearson 26
Old 01-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to the asylum, Kelly.

BTW, I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

Be aware that you'll need 10 posts minimum to post links or PM people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
And of course if want to get to 10 posts quickly come on over and play on the Song Chain in Off Topic. We could use more woman over there!!

michael
Old 01-21-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hey Kelly! welcome aboard!
How you managed to get a bunch of women to get together on one cruise is amazing in itself!

Hope you become very a very active poster on the Forum. it's often very quiet on the hersailnet forum for sure.

ck out this post it was great fun to read the responses:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...-watching.html

Your P26 is a wonderful boat! Theres one in my Yacht club thats owned by a young couple and he is always racing against 30ft boats and somtimes even beats them.
Fair winds!

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.