Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoparagon View Post
I have a friend who has been single handing for seven years. As she headed south one year some friends suggested she join them for a night or two at their marina. The day was a blustery with a bit of a current, but she docked the boat perfectly. One of her friends on shore, who was catching lines, overheard a man remark, "That must be one easy boat to handle." *pause* It tickles me to no end...it wasn't that she was a proficient captain, she simply had an "easy" boat.
LOL! This bums me out, too. Although I don't singlehand, I'm usually the one at the helm when we dock our boat. Things that seem no big deal on modern boats, with bowthrusters etc. and agile deep fin keels are a lot more challenging on our (old-style, heavy, modified full-keel) boat. So even when I make it look good, no one gives me any credit. Sigh.
momoparagon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
I've suggested that a single handing lady I know ,put up a poster on the Island, saying "Women interested in sailing. Lets meet at the cafe at noon Sunday." I have no doubt some very experienced cruising ladies will appear.
bcgypsy likes this.
Old 01-18-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
First visit to this thread. No problem with woman single handing a sailboat! In fact, I was taught to sail by a lady friend and she was pretty much single handing the boat for the first few times she took me along! LOL! I was really impressed when she ripped into the perkins to change the water pump. If it wasn't for her I am not sure I would be a sailor today. Hats off to the Ladies!
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Old 01-19-2012
amyspins

amyspins is on a distinguished road
I sail somewhat single-handed - I have a 4.5 year old first mate. She actually does help - she can even pick up the mooring for me.

I just learned to sail last summer- I bought an old Catalina 27 - and bumbled my way through the season.

I took some lessons - from a great sailor - Captain Joan, she was patient and experienced.

I got rid of the catalina and just offered for a Hereshoff H-28- a lovely little beauty. Can't wait to get back onto the water this summer.

No one is going to be impressed by my docking skills (yet) but as my engine died mid-way through the summer- I learned to be quite handy at sailing off and on the mooring.

It would be nice to have my husband along some of the time, but he doesn't have any interest in boating at all. It does gives me a great deal of personal satisfaction to know that I am managing by myself - I'm loving sailing!
wingNwing, bcgypsy and castingoff like this.
Old 01-20-2012

Girlsailor44 is on a distinguished road
Great thread

This is the best thing I have read on this forum so far. I have been single handing my boats forever. Everyone always wants to go with you but when the winds are up they all have previous commitments.

I am currently in Cocoa FL. enjoying the good life on a budget. My boat is a 40' Endeavour center cockpit sloop. This year is my first live aboard and I am loving it.

The men I meet seem to be really impressed by a female single hander with a boat this large. Wherever I go I seem to be the talk of the marina. If I ever ask for assistance with something I usually get the same response. I will be glad to do that for you. Not I would be willing to help. So I stand back and offer suggestions trying not to bruise any egos.

I love to chat and would love to have other single handed girls to chat with.

Nancy
Sublime, amyspins and castingoff like this.
Old 07-29-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Re: woman singlehanders

But is a anyone else this stylish while single handing

Old 07-29-2012

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

would say, Yes and more so...

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 07-29-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

I have always found that respect is earned, not given. Some guys will help you some won't, but I believe it is the same for women.

I love to be alone on the water, it is the best sailing of all and you only have yourself to report too or clean up after.

Enjoy your hard earned freedom and don't worry what anyone else thinks. After all we are the few lucky ones that have worked hard and earned the right to do what we want...sail.
Rochelle