Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

my mother woulndt understand any of you but I certainly do.she would say where do you eat
***i have a gourmet kitchen on the catalina400 and a full though small galley on my ericson 27.. same as her, and i have tables same as her.

where do you sleep
**which boat.. the catalina i have a kingsize bed and the ericson my v berth that is a comfy and snug nest..both are equally as comfortable.

where do you take a shower
***in a marina tend to use thier showers since they have unlimited hot water.
on both boats we have a shower..thought the ericson is a bit squashed
the catalina i have two bathrooms with showers and a shower on the swim platform..

what if you have to go...you know

******* same as her, only i pump the handle up and donw instead of one push on a lever..

..and then she would say well what about that time of the ...well you know.

that is why the goddess made storage lockesr and menopause.. grins..

.what if you need something from the drug store for that time... you know...

see the above answer.

it would be just as if she were traveling and made plans to anticipate such things..

my mom is a boat person.. so her repsonse was to remind me to plan ahead and have fun..
''bella

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2004

PAMDEMONIUM is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

I grew up in Colorado, so I did not have lots of sailing history. When I married, we bought a sailboat, but the "yelling" from my male counterpart deterred me from going out. After a nasty divorce I got to keep the sailboat :-)~ I took some basic classes from USPS, grabbed some more knowledgeable folks and experimented with sailing (without all the yelling). I realized I loved it and ended up living aboard for 5 years, sailing singlehanded. It was a great thrill whenever I was out. I, too got strange comments and looks whenever I came to a new port, but definitely worth all of it!!!
Old 11-09-2004

svsheela is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

Never thought of it like that, guess i''m an ONLY CHILD too, but I got you beat, I''ll soon be 55. Been sailing alone for 8 yrs. I used to get razzed relentlessly by the male boaters at my homeport marina, but not anymore. Because I sail to the Bahamas every year and stay 6 months and THEY DON''T!!!! Take care. Sheela
Old 01-30-2006

Seagypsywoman is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

Hey, I just re-found this thread. It''s wonderful to talk to other female sailorettes LOL. I''m a solo (and sometimes with crew) sailor on a 32-foot boat in the Med. For me it''s easier than driving a car and more fun than living in a house. I''m not crazy about engine maintenance and not looking forward to it when I get back to Barcelona where she is hopefully safely waiting for me. Anyone wants a change of scenery? I''m looking for crew. Check out my website: www.seagypsysailing.com
Old 02-02-2006

SailorGrandma is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

I don''t singlehand but I need to learn how to handle our ketch by myself. Reading this thread is giving me some confidence that I can do this. My husband keeps encouraging me but I just get cold feet. I always take the helm when we are out on Lake Michigan but when it comes to putting him (the boat) in his slip I get cold feet. We are 44 feet of steel and am afraid I will wreck someone elses boat if a screw up. I can back him out of the slip but putting him in is a different story. I admire all of you women sailors out there that are doing it themselves. I love sailing just need a captain aboard and I just need the confidence. My husband would be so proud!
Old 02-02-2006

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

You and me both.

Where on Lake Michigan are you? I sail out of Racine.
Old 02-03-2006

woman singlehanders

Hi locrian13! We sail out of Kewaunee. We haven''t been in the water since 2004. We brought the boat up from Florida via the rivers starting from Mobile, AL to Lake Michigan. Great, exciting trip.
Old 02-07-2006

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
woman singlehanders

That does sound exciting! Are you going to be in this season? If you get an itch to sail down to Racine, let me know. We''ll be up in that general area in late July, post-Hook Race. We''ll wave as we''re racing...hopefully we''ll have good breeze and we''ll just be a blur.
I am bound and determined to sail more and more independently this summer. I didn''t start sailing until I met my husband...he''s been doing this forever. I''m relatively new at this, though. He''s going to do some off-shore races on our previous boat (we co-owned it with a friend, who has agreed to let my husband race on weekends in exchange for storage and help), which frees up our current boat. I''ve got this great plan to race that one (I don''t expect to go very fast!) with my own crew. I don''t care if I come in DFL...I think it''ll be good experience.
Phew! I''ve rambled enough.
Old 02-14-2006

If we get down in the Racine area I will let you know. But we kind of stay away from the areas down there. Too many people. We like to be on the hook in some lonely bay. Racing sounds like alot of fun. We don't race, we are too heavy and slow for that. We are going to sail up to Lake Superior this summer, Isle Royale. We have seen the Apostle Islands in our power boat, no longer have, about 10 years ago. But we have never been to Isle Royale. We are going to spend about 3 weeks up there in July. But you can still wave as you go by during the race. I will be thinking of you during that time. Good Luck and Fair Winds!
Old 02-14-2006

logrian13, let me know how you do in the race and on your sailing skills. I am planning on working on mine also this summer. My biggest problem is putting the boat in the slip. I also want to learn and trust myself to sail by myself so my sisters and I can go without the men. We also need to get a windlass as I am not pulling up the anchor on a 44' boat. Have fun this summer, I know that I will!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.