LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006

mark price is on a distinguished road
hi,wheres your page ...regards mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Karen

I was also thinking that aspiring singlehanders should read the books by noted singlehanders like Bernard Montessier, Dame Ellen McArthur, Slocum, Sir Robert Knox-Johnson. There are a slew of wonderful books written about the Vendee Globe that inspire. Don't get discouraged by others on this site. Don't get me wrong, it's a great site and I read it everyday. But remember, there are many on this site who treat their boats as waterbound RV's.
To put things in perspective. Dame McArthur sailed her Open 60 around the world while men writing in this forum question the wisdom taking a 27 foot O'Day out of a slip alone. Kind of makes you chuckle when you think about it!
Old 07-03-2006
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Learning Curve

Hi Everyone

I am a newbie here but not to sailing. I love this thread woman single-handers. I have been sailing on and off now since 1984, mostly lake sailing but now sailing the NYC Hudson river. My family unfortunately doesn't care for sailing so that leaves me most of the time with no crew. So in order to cure my sailing habit I find myself often solo or with guest that know nothing about sailing. I can relate to the stories that have been told here from mens reaction to a woman sailor to fixing the boat. Most of the time I find the men very helpful. The guys on the docks will always help me with the lines when docking if they are around. Where I get the most ugly stares and vocal comments are from the wifes of the marina. Not sure what to make of that.
What is an interesting observation on the Hudson river is I am usually the only solo sailor out on the river and the only female captain that I have seen so far this season. I am getting my sea legs ready for a cruising circumnavigation in my next career ( 3-4 years). going from lake sailing, 22-26' sailboats to a 33' boat on the ocean has been interesting. If one is interested in reading about my trails and errors I have created a sailing blog at http://www.sailblogs.com/member/revolution/.

Melissa
S/V Freedom

Last edited by Melrna; 10-13-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2006

svsheela is on a distinguished road
singlehanded

I've been sailing alone for 9 yrs. now. I do get some stares when I come into a marina, don't know if it's because I'm a female alone, or I'm an older person(56) or because I bring it in on a dime. It goes both ways as far as the men go. Some seem intimidated, some just down right mad, but the real down to earth sailors treat me as an equal. I sail 6 months out of the year, mostlly in the Bahamas. You said you were in the Keys now, where abouts?? Take care and stay safe. svsheela
Old 07-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One of the positive things about this thread is that it shows a determination to do what one finds pleasing to themselves, without regard to stereotypes or preconceived notions. I never hesitate to pick up tips and tricks from whomever, male or female (I'm male). Good sailing is good sailing, and really has nothing to do with gender. Unfortunately, bias is a part of the human condition, and it's good to see people who don't let it get in their way. You may be ladies off the boat, but on it....you're the skipper.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2006
Jon Held

jheldatksuedu is on a distinguished road
I'm new here, just joined today, if any single women sailors don't want to always be single handers, I'm also a single hander but male and I'm looking to not be (single handing that is, LOL). If you go to my profile on here you can follow the link to my homepage and learn all about me. I'm still hoping to have kids, so that probably eliminates quite a few of you. Thinking about a circumnavigation, there goes a bunch more, If I don't find anybody I might start the trip alone but sure don't plan to finish it alone. Have a great day. Jon
Old 07-13-2006
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thanks John for that nice comment. I couldn't agree more. But like you said there is some bias out there in this world that we have no control over. As a professional woman aviator and sailor I think I have seen it all. The best way to overcome adversity is too have a sense of humor and know your craft. A nice smile doesn't hurt either.

Melissa
S/V Freedom

If you are not true to yourself than you cannot be true to anyone else!
Old 09-06-2006
top of the morning to u

drewdunnrespect2006 is on a distinguished road
go ladys i am amale but the more sister doing it for them selves the better
the reason for this is my fionce also live with me on our two boats in the boat yard on the river tees in england and were both eighteen and ever since she has been twelve and ellan macther came second in the vende she has wanted to beat her in the same race the vende globe
and you want belive this my fionce in two weeks is of round brittion wit6h out me on her single handed tour of the uk
but unfortunatly for me i have to work any ways rock on ladies and any man having ago cos your female just shout what my girlfriend does and that is

i could beet you in a sailing race anyday wanker or are you to much of a sexist puff to prove me rong.

that soon shuts them up or gets you racing then if you beet them like my girlfriend has done on a few accasions the respect but if not just let the wanker have a glote cos well he is in the rong not you

rock on dude have a good en
Old 09-06-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsheela
don't know if it's because I'm a female alone, or I'm an older person(56) or because I bring it in on a dime. svsheela

SVSheela,

I will normally take a lot of interest in any sailor bringing their vessel in on a dime.

A. It's rare

B. I might learn something.

Dewey
Old 10-09-2006

birdysharp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to birdysharp
I got my boat (Challenger 24') already rigged for singlehanding, and having done it once, I'm glad to have company!! This is only my first season of sailing though, maybe next year I'll have more fun sailing with myself (and dog). My autohelm is the best!!!

Bridget