Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
I've sailed laser II's for most of my (semi)adult life, having sailed with and against many female crews. When I sailed Cork I noticed many gals heading out in their Bytes, Lasers, etc. in to 25 knot plus winds... Really gutsy stuff... Guess some guys have a bad attitude because they are unable to eat humble pie as they watch from shore, too scared to go out, and eat the DNS instead... ...

Keep it up ladies!!!

Sonnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2006

me ma is on a distinguished road
I am in the process of completing the "America's Great Loop Cruise" single handed. It is the first time I have single handed. I have done near 5200 miles and only have about 250 more miles to go in order to close my Loop. On this trip I have met many people and I have to say that I have received many a compliment from the men I have met. Most have been amazed at what I am doing. Of course there will always be the odd one who thinks I have no business doing this. Each to their own, I say. I am 57 years old and have always enjoyed a challenge. I have been told I am the first to do this trip single handed in a sail boat. If there is anyone who knows another woman who may have done it ahead of me, I would really appreciate you dropping me a line. indigolady@hotmail.com Don't let anyone, especially a man, discourage you from living your passion. You go girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maryellen
s/v indigolady
Old 11-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maryellen-

Congrats on the Great Loop...have fun finishing it off...what do you plan to do next??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2006

me ma is on a distinguished road
Thanks sailingdog. I am not sure yet. Probably just enjoy sailing around here for a bit until hubbie retires. Maybe do some more crewing, which I did before I single handed. I live on Lake Erie, in Amherstburg, ON. I would love to meet any other single handers that would be sailing in this area, also.
Old 11-14-2006
Jon Held

jheldatksuedu is on a distinguished road
New boat

I spent the last two months working on a new boat, goto www.jheld.mysite.com to see it and learn more about me.
I'm still looking for the single hander that want's to be a couple.
Jon
Old 02-09-2007
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Hello Ladies and Sailing Dog,
Just wanted to say "Hi" from CA. I have still only gone sailing once since I moved onto my houseboat, but I recently met a guy who offered to take me out on the ocean next week.
You will probably think I am silly, but I totally love just borrowing my neighbors little dighy and cruising out as far onto the ocean as I dare in the tiny little metal tub.
Cheers to the sea,
P.Booty

Pirate' s Booty
Old 03-08-2007

JoJoRocks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JoJoRocks
image every moment of the day to be sailing

Hi ya all
As u know I grew up in florida and the water was my life but the military life has taking me from sea to land for most of my adult life...but now with a 18yo gone and a 16 yo in house... all I have been thinking for the past year two years is being in the water sailing....but cash and job has hinder me from that dream.... even more so that my husband is not a water person.... and I am living 4 hours from sea in Atlanta GA.... but i will keep dreaming...keep reading and continue to do a lot of virtual sailing while i'll wait for the day that the wind will be upon my face..the rain will be running down my back and the spirit of the ocean will speak my name.... till then I will live in my virtual sailing world reading of people like you... Yes, I continue reading and continue dreaming.. I did finally graduated with my BS degree..which came in the mail this past weekend.. funny, I don't feel any smarter...and I probably won't until I get out there on the water and build confidence in sailing the winds and battling the water... Hope all has been going well and that you have prepared for spring....jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsailingSpring
Thank you Gentleman and ladies...Very good advice and tips. Jared...Thank you very much. I like the PVC idea in practicing docking. I will definately give that a try and I appreciate the encouragement. Every weekend I get a bit more comfortable. I have all the safety equipment except the strobe light. I also have been reluctant to run the jackline and attach the tether because I haven't gone that far off-shore yet but I'm probably being a bit foolish. Anytime out of sheltered water is probably a good idea to hitch up? I see so few sailors by with a tether; what is everyone's personal take on this?

JoJo...good luck with getting back to the water. I was patient for 15 years and now I've reached a time in my life when I have the money and a wee bit of time to escape to the water. My other half will not, under any circumstances, leave the dock. However, we have a wonderful agreement to let each other do their hobbies and at the end of the day we love each other twice as much for it. I hope your husband sees the benefit of a happy sailor wife!

Thank you again!
Karen
Old 03-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey JoJo....welcome aboard! You may be far from the sea but have you considered fresh water??
http://www.laniersail.com/

Might be fun!
Old 03-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey PB... long time no hear...

Welcome aboard JoJo... Congrats on the BS... Sailing on lakes can be a very good way to learn... the wind on lakes tends to be less reliable and more fluky than the wind on the ocean or a large bay. As such, it can teach you far more about sail handling, anticipating and finding wind shifts, and things like that, than an equal amount of time sailing on the ocean would, so it is definitely something you should consider.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-08-2007

JoJoRocks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JoJoRocks
Lightbulb thanks CaM & SD

It's an honor just 2 get a reply from u guys...I been reading sailnet for some time now and the knowledge, advice, jokes u share is amazing....Like between you 2....the BLUEWATER4US guy... equipped his mind and his sailing boat... if he noted all that was shared to him he should be somewhere south... were you guys will be.......to take his offer on some free drinks...... in his DR bars...

The list goes on & on.... but that’s just one out of so many threads that I read and save to a document.... that I always see your name and your over flowing knowledge...

Actually.. I was looking up some sailing clubs today and making some calls..
I will drive from Lake Lanier, Hartwell, Savannah, Charleston, to Jacksonville just for some experience...
I am an EMT-I / Firefighter so I have a shift schedule of 24 hours on, 48 hours off and if I take a shift off I get 5 days free...

I love to drive and be on the road so jumping in my cruising van and camping in a near by location is no problem for me.. I am hoping since I am willing to labor for the tolls of sailing....that someone out there will take me in...for some labor and some $tips...

Plus, if I can keep the cost down during this learning process my better half will be happy and it might just give me the leverage I need to eventually buy a 23 to 26 trailer sailing boat...

like you guys have said over and over again... you can have all the book knowledge of sailing but if your not out there sailing... what good are you….
Plus if I remember right your advice to making a better sailor...is starting with a small sail....

Thanks again boys... for all u contribute 2 the sailing world...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.