Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Meat & Potato Man

I learned about caning meat fish an vegies before I knew how to read. Mom did it in an open copper boiler on a colman stove. Now I use a pressure cooker. So much safer and easier. Never had a health problem. Just do it right.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
NO ONE CRAVES MUESLI. Muesli is what you eat when there are no other alternatives expect the chewing on smaller weaker members of the crew, and even then it may require some contempation.
Well Jeanne Socrates just did 56 days Cape Town to Hobart fueled in part by muesli and with fairly frequent mention of winds in excess of 40 knots. More power to granny on muesli I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
NO ONE CRAVES MUESLI. No one onboard should be consuming muesli unless you have a 40 gallon holding tank.
Sounds like you may have had a moving experience on muesli but as the OP is making passage from Oregon to Mexico I presume they will be 3 miles plus offshore so the holding tank thing is not needed.
Old 04-03-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

meat and potato man should read "sailing around the world by Joshua Slocum. now that's provisioning old school!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

Others have advocated including beans in the diet. Adding rice includes all of the amino acids necessary to build muscle.
Old 04-03-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
meat and potato man should read "sailing around the world by Joshua Slocum. now that's provisioning old school!
Actually I thought he glossed over the food and house keeping issues. There was a lot we could have learned from him on that front. I realize he probably wasn't a foodie in our modern sense, but surely he craved something beyond hard tack, beans and rice. My wife is a foodie and while I was reading the Aubrey/Maturin/O'Brien series I would read to her some of the meals he describes. She, of course would gag and yell STOP!

For the passage the OP is making, they could schedule some stops along the way and provision with frozen steaks and roasts and if their refrigerator works, they could probably get two weeks and have nicely "aged" beef before they have to resort to canned stuff.

John
Old 04-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
... but surely he craved something beyond hard tack, beans and rice. ...

John
I think because that's about all he ate, that was the point that Denise was making.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-03-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Botulism doesn't swell cans ,which is why the only way to safely neutralize it is 15 minutes heat in an open pan. It can exist in a perfectly normal looking can. Cooking every can or jar after opening it is the only safe way to go.
Vegetarians can suffer from dietary deficiencies as a result, like zinc deficiency. Eating mostly meat didn't stop my ancestors from living past 100. If you want to eat only healthy food, read the labels, and don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize.
Old 04-03-2012

jesselee is on a distinguished road

The only pitfall to home canning is the glass jars stored think of 10gts of beef stew and broken glass in the bottom of a locker
Old 04-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Botulism doesn't swell cans ,which is why the only way to safely neutralize it is 15 minutes heat in an open pan. It can exist in a perfectly normal looking can. Cooking every can or jar after opening it is the only safe way to go. Brent Swain

Tainted chili cans bursting with botulism - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Please dont make sweeping statements about something you know nothing about. In this case it could be dangerous. It is a well know fact among people who work in the food industry and federal inspectors as well as HACCP certified indiviguals, health department inspector that a swollen can is AUTOMATICALLY EMBARGOED and NEVER allowed to be used.....why may you ask...the threat of botulism.

In addition while correct caning techniques whoich include proper temperatures can kill the spores it is important to note that this is also what is know as a toxin mediated organism which in spite of the fact that you have killed the organism which has produced the toxin....the toxin it has produced still remains and can make you very sick if not kill you.

Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

Quote:
Poisoning by botulinum toxin, one of the most potent toxins known, produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. It usually results from improperly sterilized canned (mostly home-canned) foods. Heat-resistant spores of these anaerobic bacteria in fresh food may survive canning. The bacteria multiply and secrete toxin, which remains potent if the food is not well heated before it is eaten. Botulism can also result from wound infection. Botulinum toxin blocks nerve-impulse transmission. If botulism is recognized in time, administered antitoxins can neutralize it. The first symptoms of botulism are nausea and vomiting, which usually appear six hours or less after the contaminated food is eaten. Fatigue, blurry vision, and general weakness follow. Respiratory paralysis can cause death if not treated with emergency tracheotomy and respiratory aid. Most victims recover completely if they survive paralysis. The bacteria's intense toxicity makes it a potentially deadly biological warfare agent.
Certainly not something I would want to be stricken with 4 days out to sea.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-03-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Suggestion... stop at good seafood and steak restaurants every 3 days or so? doesn't sound like your going to be at sea for weeks and weeks anyway. All this canning, preserving, drying, etc.. is all allot of work! You could keep live chickens, and geese.. don't know about steer.... might need a bigger boat for that Just think.. all that seafood swimming under and around the boat.. and he won't even try it?
DRFerron and chef2sail like this.

my current "project"!