SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   What do you do when you are docked or anchored? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/85823-what-do-you-do-when-you-docked-anchored.html)

helenwiley 04-05-2012 08:08 AM

What do you do when you are docked or anchored?

I'm curious what others of the female persuasion do while anchored or docked---besides the usual sightseeing, watching anchor/fenders, repairing, replacing, cooking, cleaning, laundry and provisioning.

Here's what I do: embroider or applique quilt blocks, learn more knots with the help of my trusty Ashley's Book of Knots, write in my log. If internet is available, I update our blog. I also Kindle.

Helen Wiley, Cornucopia, Finnsailer 35. 1973, Savannah, Georgia

bljones 04-05-2012 08:31 AM

Re: What do you do when you are docked or anchored?

That is the first time I have seen "Kindle" used as a verb. That could lead to some confusion and possible panic.
Voice from cockpit: "Hey, what are you doing?"
Reply from salon: "Kindling."
"I didn't know we had a fireplace."
"We don't."

helenwiley 04-05-2012 01:32 PM

"That is the first time I have seen "Kindle" used as a verb."

I knew that would get a response, even if no one answered the question posed.

Helen

DRFerron 04-05-2012 01:43 PM

I Nook. :)

Plus all of the above with the exception of sewing. I'd probably hurt myself. I also write and just stare out of the boat at whatever wildlife (human or animal) is about.

I already warned the guys that when we go to the BVI in two weeks I demand 24 hours where I am total boat fluff. No planning, navigating, thinking (except what drink to have next), or anything else that might be construed as boatwork. I might have to cook if we plan to eat but I'm OK with that.

RobGallagher 04-05-2012 02:39 PM

My ex g/f used to make and sell her own jewelry. She would spend hours assembling/beading or whatever it's called. Give her a pair of needle nose, some silver wire, beads and she would come up with some pretty nice stuff.

My current g/f is an avid reader.

My best friends g/f will fish for hours on end. Docked, moored, anchored, sailing. If she's not fishing she's clamming, crabbing or even gathering up a few "escargo". She will walk up to her neck in cold water and feel around with her feet for an hour and be happy if she finds one clam...lol

dacap06 04-06-2012 08:14 AM

For what it is worth DaWIFE doesn't care about sailing but loves to tie up in other harbors. My beautiful bride of almost 32 years has mobility issues now and has both good and bad days. When she is up to it she likes to meet new people, explore new towns and their shops, eat in new restaurants, go to new museums, that sort of thing.

Conversely, she also enjoys the quiet time on the boat. No noise, no grand kids running around, no one intruding on her space. She likes to read so I gave her a Kindle for Christmas. I expect I will be among the many who will find Kindling in their boats this Summer.

DaCAP

SVAuspicious 04-06-2012 11:38 AM

Janet reads, knits, crochets, and works jigsaw puzzles.

chef2sail 04-07-2012 09:19 AM

Donna likes to reads. we dont kindle or nook we pod I guess.

She like to explore where we are and have traveled to. A lot of the time we just hang out. To be outside on our boat and just watch people, nature and drink in the atmosphere is enough for her and relaxing.

Dave

amyspins 04-07-2012 10:08 AM

Do you mean what do I plan to do aboard the lovely old herreshoff H-28 I have just purchased and am jumping out of my skin with excitement over?- sorry - I'm just beside myself to share the joy of my new aquisition.

I sit and watch everything- sometimes I read books on my kindle - play cards or other games with my crew (soon to be 5 yr. old Margaret) she fishes - we swim, snack and swim some more. I was thinking about bringing a little spinning wheel aboard so I could work on yarn- but really I crave the time aboard to just do nothing - listen to the waves - be still. Oh ,and my daughter is already planning on baking chocolate chip cookies on board - since we now have an oven. Real girls gone wild stuff!

Amy

Don0190 04-07-2012 10:48 AM

Think about the things on the boat that need maintenance or repair, then decide they aren't all that inportant and can wait a while longer.