SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What do you do when you are docked or anchored?

10K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  shadowraiths 
#1 ·
I'm curious what others of the female persuasion do while anchored or docked---besides the usual sightseeing, watching anchor/fenders, repairing, replacing, cooking, cleaning, laundry and provisioning.

Here's what I do: embroider or applique quilt blocks, learn more knots with the help of my trusty Ashley's Book of Knots, write in my log. If internet is available, I update our blog. I also Kindle.

Helen Wiley, Cornucopia, Finnsailer 35. 1973, Savannah, Georgia

#4 ·
I Nook. :)

Plus all of the above with the exception of sewing. I'd probably hurt myself. I also write and just stare out of the boat at whatever wildlife (human or animal) is about.

I already warned the guys that when we go to the BVI in two weeks I demand 24 hours where I am total boat fluff. No planning, navigating, thinking (except what drink to have next), or anything else that might be construed as boatwork. I might have to cook if we plan to eat but I'm OK with that.

#5 ·
My ex g/f used to make and sell her own jewelry. She would spend hours assembling/beading or whatever it's called. Give her a pair of needle nose, some silver wire, beads and she would come up with some pretty nice stuff.

My current g/f is an avid reader.

My best friends g/f will fish for hours on end. Docked, moored, anchored, sailing. If she's not fishing she's clamming, crabbing or even gathering up a few "escargo". She will walk up to her neck in cold water and feel around with her feet for an hour and be happy if she finds one clam...lol

#6 ·
For what it is worth DaWIFE doesn't care about sailing but loves to tie up in other harbors. My beautiful bride of almost 32 years has mobility issues now and has both good and bad days. When she is up to it she likes to meet new people, explore new towns and their shops, eat in new restaurants, go to new museums, that sort of thing.

Conversely, she also enjoys the quiet time on the boat. No noise, no grand kids running around, no one intruding on her space. She likes to read so I gave her a Kindle for Christmas. I expect I will be among the many who will find Kindling in their boats this Summer.

DaCAP

#8 ·
Donna likes to reads. we dont kindle or nook we pod I guess.

She like to explore where we are and have traveled to. A lot of the time we just hang out. To be outside on our boat and just watch people, nature and drink in the atmosphere is enough for her and relaxing.

Dave

#15 ·
Donna likes to reads. we dont kindle or nook we pod I guess.

Dave
How come when I read this "we pod" I immediately got a picture of a bunch of humans milling around together in the water? lol

Once we're anchored I like to watch the water go by, read and call my mom or daughter - just to brag that we're anchored in the river totally relaxing.
:D

Now that we sold the Mac, gotta get a new boat so we can resume this wonderful relaxing hobby!
:eek:

#9 · (Edited)
Do you mean what do I plan to do aboard the lovely old herreshoff H-28 I have just purchased and am jumping out of my skin with excitement over?- sorry - I'm just beside myself to share the joy of my new aquisition.

I sit and watch everything- sometimes I read books on my kindle - play cards or other games with my crew (soon to be 5 yr. old Margaret) she fishes - we swim, snack and swim some more. I was thinking about bringing a little spinning wheel aboard so I could work on yarn- but really I crave the time aboard to just do nothing - listen to the waves - be still. Oh ,and my daughter is already planning on baking chocolate chip cookies on board - since we now have an oven. Real girls gone wild stuff!

Amy

#10 ·
Think about the things on the boat that need maintenance or repair, then decide they aren't all that inportant and can wait a while longer.

Reactions: helenwiley
#17 ·
Add dark & stormies to the list and Sabreman has pretty much nailed it. :laugher

Reactions: Donna_F
#13 ·
Read or fish (sometimes at the same time), reflake the sail after my half assed attempt, swim, explore the beach or sex (sometimes at the same time :p), clean, stare at the scenery or just vegetate.

Reactions: helenwiley
#19 ·
We once anchored, popped open beers and stretched out in the cockpit. Then we had a spider race: It so happened that the two nearest corners of the bimini each had a spider that started to spin a web at the same time. So we made a bet to see whose spider got done first.

Sometimes you just don't need to do anything.

#27 ·
We once anchored, popped open beers and stretched out in the cockpit. Then we had a spider race: It so happened that the two nearest corners of the bimini each had a spider that started to spin a web at the same time. So we made a bet to see whose spider got done first.

Sometimes you just don't need to do anything.
That's exactly the point. We're all "doing" something all of the time, in our land-bound lives, plus the act of actually sailing to wherever it is we're going.

When the hook is set and the engine is off, I sigh in relief and decompress. I deliberately turn into a potato and do as little as possible.

I did a simple over-nighter on Friday night, and except for a few provisioning hiccups, it was pure bliss.

#20 ·
Let's see the conjugation would be:
I pod
You pod
He, she, it pods...

I like the idea of spider races. Down here, if one isn't a tidy sailor, palmetto bug races are possible.

and to add to the list of activities--manicure and pedicure. Also, a haircut for the captain. He has to do his own manicure and pedicure, though..I'm not licensed for that.

#24 ·
Read trashy novels. Organize the music on my ipod. Write. Sit. Drink rum and watch the world go by. Socialize with my neighbors. Learn about the history of whatever city I'm in, what makes it unique. Cook. Explore. Dream.

In other words, when I'm not doing "ship's work," I play. Tough life, this fulltime liveaboard cruising thing.

#28 ·
Notice, we're called human beings, not human doings. That should tell you something right there.

#29 ·
Our next purchase will be a couple of tablets. While I don't read a lot of fiction anymore the Wombet does and no matter how many bookshelves you have there are never enough. Me I read a fair bit of historical stuff which tends to be bulky so I'm really looking forward to having a library on puter. I'm also a cryptic crossword nut and Friday's Sydney Herald is a killer to which I can devote a goodly dollop of Saturday.

Other than that I'm with Jones. Think about food and wine, talk about food and wine, cook food, open wine, eat food, drink wine. So I'm looking forward to trying out some new recipes courtesy of Chef and Copacabana and a Spanish Cookbook that the Wombet gave me last birthday.

Which reminds me .... our pre dinner ritual

with

Oh yes ... and I nap.

To be honest there are never enough hours in the day.

Reactions: JimMcGee
#30 ·
TDW, perhaps some cheese might be added to that ritual?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.