Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road
Re: Life vests for the well-endowed

Hah! Someone else's turn to post pics.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Hey... Peoples lives are at stake here..

This is relevent stuff

Important to the content and continuity of the discussion..

We need to be able to grasp the enormity of the situation.
MarkSF likes this.
Old 07-02-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

and so it begins
Old 07-10-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
and a discussion came up about whether to wear life jackets over or under the parkas, and whether it would make any difference anyhow since the ship we were on couldn't round up and come back for you before your lungs froze up in any case.

The wise old man in charge of things said just wear the life jackets, with whatever has the highest visibility on the outside.
I realize that you are referring to a life jacket with permanent floatation but it raises an important point. NEVER wear anything over an inflatable life jacket - unless you like the idea of cracked ribs when it inflates, that is. The stronger and closer fitting the material, the greater the risk.

I know this is a little late - I'm just catching up.
Old 07-10-2012

rightbrainer is on a distinguished road

I'd check out some of the neoprene wake boarding vests for women. You might also look at kayaking vests. They're cut differently and might work.
2011 HO Womens Form Fit Vest
Old 08-10-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Brigala,

Check this out from West Marine:

Hot Days - Hot Deals - Safety - Life Jackets - Sailing Offshore Inflatable Life Jackets at West Marine

I just got one for my wife last week (since she used mine last week ans decided she loved it) and I am sure it will be a great investment!

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the tip! That looks like a pretty decent price. How does this compare to the Mustang brand ones? Is it worth the extra $$ to get a Mustang?

I think I'm going to need one for me and one for my husband. I had a nephew drown this week on the same river where we'll be sailing, and I'm not above using that as leverage to insist that my husband wear a life jacket whether he thinks "conditions warrant" or not. And I know it will be an uphill battle unless I can find him something that he doesn't feel impedes his movement and activity. So an inflatable is probably it. The Mustang ones I'm looking at are this one: HIT and this one: Deluxe Inflatable PFD (Automatic with Sailing Harness) MD3084 . But if the West Marine one is about as good, it would save a fair amount of money. Especially if we buy two. Or four (I might want some for the boys, too).
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Old 08-11-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Brigalam
, besides the reviews you really need to try them on and compare the fit, neck chafe, etc.
Old 08-11-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
Thank you for the tip! That looks like a pretty decent price. How does this compare to the Mustang brand ones? Is it worth the extra $$ to get a Mustang?

I think I'm going to need one for me and one for my husband. I had a nephew drown this week on the same river where we'll be sailing, and I'm not above using that as leverage to insist that my husband wear a life jacket whether he thinks "conditions warrant" or not. And I know it will be an uphill battle unless I can find him something that he doesn't feel impedes his movement and activity. So an inflatable is probably it. The Mustang ones I'm looking at are this one: HIT and this one: Deluxe Inflatable PFD (Automatic with Sailing Harness) MD3084 . But if the West Marine one is about as good, it would save a fair amount of money. Especially if we buy two. Or four (I might want some for the boys, too).
I wish I was qualified to give you more specific comparisons on the items, though I am pretty comfortable with the general reputation of West Marine. And I agree with you on getting your husband to wear one of these. I honestly forget I have it on after only a few minutes. And while I agree that it is best to try them on, you could always return it if you don't like the feel of it.

(I learned that from my wife who is not only a power shopper, but also a power returner!)

Old 08-12-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

Never had that problem. All my life-vests go above the belt.

Tags
bra size , life jacket , life vest , pfd

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.