SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Life vests for the well-endowed

16K views 75 replies 30 participants last post by  Yamsailor 
#1 ·
I think the above says it all!

I'm just starting to think about outfitting our "new" sailboat with safety gear. Got a life vest for the tot already, thanks to advice from Sailnet folks. I'm not in a huge hurry since our "new" boat is in the "not sure whether to fix it or sell it for scrap to free up the trailer" category; probably I won't really be sailing until next summer and I can make do with a standard life vest until then when I'm tagging along on friends' boats.

I'm not quite so much of a freak of nature that I can't wear a regular vest. But they're not terribly comfortable and before I start shopping I was wondering whether there were brands of vests I should be looking at first. I'd like something comfortable enough to wear pretty much all the time. I think I'd like a Type III and a Type II to switch out as conditions warrant. To give an idea of sizing... let's just say that when I'm sure I'm done having kids I'm going in for back-saving surgery to go several sizes down to a D or DD. (Had a friend whose 'girls' grew back with her next pregnancy and don't want to risk having to do it twice).

On the other hand, maybe they'll serve just fine as floatation devices without a vest. :eek:

Also, last time I took the tot out on a boat I found I had to remove my life vest entirely in order to nurse. Has anybody here ever had a nurseling on a boat? And did you find any life vests that you could just open and not have to totally remove? It's not a huge issue now since Tot is almost done with her nursing days, but I may have one more before my childbearing years are over.

See less See more
#3 ·
On the other hand, maybe they'll serve just fine as floatation devices without a vest. :eek:
huh.

Try these instead: Mustang M.I.T. 22 Inflatable PFD

A bunch of manufacturers make them and I imagine (being childless) that you can easily push it aside without taking it off to nurse.

You may also come across flotation devices in a fanny pack looking set up but I don't really recommend them as you have to keep your wits about you to actually use them in an emergency.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I definitely don't want some fanny-pack kind of thing. I'm a pretty good swimmer and if I have my wits about me well enough to use one I can probably just swim. I'm more concerned with something that will help me survive in less than ideal circumstances. :)

Being able to nurse in a vest is not a high priority at this point; it's only a theoretical concern anyway. I'm a lot more interested in just something that would be comfortable.

I'd rather avoid an inflatable if I can, but it's definitely an option. Thanks for the suggestions!

#5 ·
I definitely don't want some fanny-pack kind of thing.
I don't care for them either.

I'm a pretty good swimmer and if I have my wits about me well enough to use one I can probably just swim.
In most cases, this isn't a good idea. If you find something is wrong with your boat and you end up overboard, it's easier for the rescuers to see your boat rather than a teeny head bobbing in the water so stay with it unless it's on fire (even then it'll more than likely just burn to the waterline so at least stay where you won't be in danger if there's an explosion). Also, you lose energy that your body needs to stay warm if you start swimming.

I was a water rescue instructor in a past life and learned quite quickly that unless you are an Olympic-caliber swimmer, you are NOT a "strong" swimmer, especially in adverse conditions. Now, if you do have a medal, forget I mentioned it. :) Many a student had discovered the difference between what their abilities were in their minds and what they could actually accomplish given a dangerous situation.

I'd rather avoid an inflatable if I can, but it's definitely an option. Thanks for the suggestions!
Someone else may, but I don't know of any better option on the market right now.

#7 ·
Oh yeah, and even an olympic medalist can get a bad knock on the head or a lung full of water and drown... so if they're on my boat they get to wear life vests too. :)

#9 ·
LOL!

I was afraid of that. :D

Reactions: messer999
#11 ·
Ok, I'll look further into it. I get nervous about anything that might stop working if it comes near something sharp, though.

And, since bljones had the audacity to ask... and honestly a pic might not be a bad idea for giving you an idea of what kind of "accommodation" I need... and because this pic has my adorable daughter in it and I can hardly pass up an opportunity to brag on her...

Taken in Hawaii about a year ago. :) Maybe next time we go we can sail there and avoid the hassle of airport security. ;)

#12 · (Edited)
A TypeII vest is a semi-mythological creature, no one has ever seen one in real life.

A Type3 is going to be uncomfortable even if you're not, ah, chesty. For comfort people buy Type5 inflateable PFDs, preferably an auto-inflate with built in harness and crotch strap. You can wear it "slack" as long as you've take the important step of actually inflating it (by mouth is OK) in the water to make sure it will fit right when it IS inflated.

And FWIW, an inflateable shouldn't be worn unless you're willing to CHECK IT from time to time, to make sure it holds air.

Yes, every brand and model fits a bit differently, but AFAIK none of them come in "portly" or "chesty". Although, maybe that's a sales opportunity for Maidenform. :)

#14 ·
Type II are close to the most uncomfortable life jackets you can buy. They are the cheap ones sold by west marine to meet the USCG carriage requirement of one for everyone aboard. Don't even think about them for general wear, they are terrible, and manufacturers have no intention of making them better since they do what they are supposed to.... Live in a bag somewhere to show off when the Coast Guard show up.

Type I is like II but actually more comfortable. Though they are full jackets intended for off shore use. Again, don't think about them for general wear, they are hot, heavy, and not really designed to be comfortable.

For always on, the only realistic option is an inflatable. I appreciate the concern about sharp objects, but the covers, and bladders on the USCG approved list are very durable. I have one that is now about 8 years old, and still passed certification this year with no maintenance done.

Take a look for type V inflatables with type II performance (type II must roll you over on your back if you are unconscious). Ideally spend the extra to get a true type II inflatable that doesn't have to be worn to meet carriage requirements, since that way you have an extra life jacket on board.

As for manufacturer... I like the Mustang or Musto brands, but they are both heavy off shore types. For more moderate sailing, I would just go try as many on as you can. There is a lot of variation between manufacturers, and models.

#15 ·
BL - I was thinkin' the same thing...

Brigalia - +2 for having the guts to post the pic :)

If you got the bucks, these are great;

And they're available in gurly colors too;

See here; Sailing

#16 ·
Brigalia - +2 for having the guts to post the pic :)
Hah! I thought about it for quite a while. But, you know... that's what I look like. Why should I be ashamed of it? Frustrated that I can't find clothes that fit well? Yeah. Tired of it hurting my back? Hell yeah. But I figure you all are way more mature than the kids who made fun of me in the 6th grade. :D

Money's not a huge concern. I mean, it's always a factor, since my herb garden only grows basil and not money. But I'm not one to skimp on stuff that is there to save your life. You'd probably all choke if you knew how much I'd spent on car seats for my daughter in the 2 short years she's been alive... :eek: ... and not because more expensive directly = safer, but because a safety device is only as safe as it is used consistently and correctly. Something that doesn't fit just right tempts you to get lazy and maybe not wear it or not secure it properly... the principle applies equally to car seats or life jackets as near as I can tell.

My husband is one of those people who believes he's invincible and shouldn't have to wear a life vest. I hope one of those inflatables will convince him otherwise. If it takes $300 to reduce the chance that I get to live as a widow, I'm all for it.

#18 ·
Meh. The same picture is on Facebook for all to see. And I've developed a pretty thick skin over the years.

#22 ·
The PFD pictured doesn't have D-ring harness attachments. I would recommend getting the ones with the D-ring, that way you can attach yourself to a tether which is then attached to the boat.

Deluxe Inflatable PFD with Hydrostatic Inflator Technology (HIT) and Sailing Harness MD3184

As far as a tether goes, it is safer to get one with a snap shackle that can be released under load (in case the boat goes down or flips over) and a fail-safe snap hook. Personally, I prefer the Kong style since the snap hook is easy to operate.

Kong Single Retractable Tether

First rule - stay on the boat.

#23 ·
This is the one that I have;

But unless you need the "D" rings, and have the tether, and jack lines, you are wasing an extra $60... or so.

#26 ·
Good tips, guys, thanks!

The boat we "have" is still under discernment whether it's going to the scrap yard or getting refurbished. I can certainly add tethers to the list of things we need to install before we take it out.

#29 · (Edited)
There's a reason some early PFD's were called Mae West's :D

My wife has similar challenges, and is comfortable with her Mustang inflatable. We got the rings for tethering, it just made sense, even if we didn't need them at the moment.

Previously, when we got her a vest for the Hobie, we went to a kayak outfitter who suggested the models that would work best for her. Of course those were non-inflatable.

Good luck!

#31 ·
Daughter whom is a couple of three double letter sized bigger than you reduction size mentioned, uses a 3184 mustang with out issues. Wife is about the size you mention also no issues with the 3184 or the non hydro version which we have both of. IIRC a 3084 or 308x anyhow.

Reality is, head to the local chandlery, with ALL you clothes you may wear, start trying them on. see which one is nice with the fat/wet gear on, then try it tightened down when you have on just summer clothes, ie a tshirt! When you can move around in all the varieties of clothing etc you wear, you found the right one for you!

All of our vests have the D rings. I also have the ability to tether folks in rougher conditions. Daughter does bow when racing, for her sometimes, knowing she will not fall off, allows her to relax a bit more in rougher conditions, does a better/faster job up there. Some of the others that help are the same. Not that they use the tether as a crutch per say, it does relax you to some degree that you will not go too far away from the boat if you lose it!

Marty

#32 ·
Reality is, head to the local chandlery, with ALL you clothes you may wear, start trying them on. see which one is nice with the fat/wet gear on, then try it tightened down when you have on just summer clothes, ie a tshirt! When you can move around in all the varieties of clothing etc you wear, you found the right one for you!

All of our vests have the D rings. I also have the ability to tether folks in rougher conditions. Daughter does bow when racing, for her sometimes, knowing she will not fall off, allows her to relax a bit more in rougher conditions, does a better/faster job up there. Some of the others that help are the same. Not that they use the tether as a crutch per say, it does relax you to some degree that you will not go too far away from the boat if you lose it!

Marty
Thanks to you for this simple approach and to Brigala for bringing up this topic. I will follow this advice to get a more comfortable pfd for my wife.:)

#34 ·
Mark, some long time ago we were running water samples and bottom profiles in 34F water and a discussion came up about whether to wear life jackets over or under the parkas, and whether it would make any difference anyhow since the ship we were on couldn't round up and come back for you before your lungs froze up in any case.

The wise old man in charge of things said just wear the life jackets, with whatever has the highest visibility on the outside. Not because it will make any difference in how long you live, but simply as a courtesy to those poor SOBs conducting the SAR operations, so they can find your body quickly and go back home again.

The logic still works for me. Someone thinks they're invulnerable, fine, no argument here. But they'd damn well better have the courtesy to make life easier on the SAR guys.

Oddly enough, when they hear "the only difference is how quickly we can recover your body" they start to question the invulnerability aspect as well.

#44 ·
and a discussion came up about whether to wear life jackets over or under the parkas, and whether it would make any difference anyhow since the ship we were on couldn't round up and come back for you before your lungs froze up in any case.

The wise old man in charge of things said just wear the life jackets, with whatever has the highest visibility on the outside.
I realize that you are referring to a life jacket with permanent floatation but it raises an important point. NEVER wear anything over an inflatable life jacket - unless you like the idea of cracked ribs when it inflates, that is. The stronger and closer fitting the material, the greater the risk.

I know this is a little late - I'm just catching up.

#35 ·
Check these out:

Stohlquist Women's Cruiser Kayak Lifejacket - The Stohlquist Cruiser lifejacket is perfect for the female sea kayaker and sit-on-top paddler. The Cruiser PFD is shaped for women, with a smaller cut, shortened torso and supportive inner cups. The back side is half flotation/half cool mesh to fit comfortably above the seat backs found in many of today's recreational and touring boats. The internal front foam is hand-sculpted for perfectly shaped fit. Neoprene padded shoulders and lower back waist band are easy on the skin when worn with a swim suit, and the Cinch harness makes for zero ride up. A wide range of adjustability makes for the perfect fit. Zippered front pockets keep small essential close at hand, and 3M reflective piping front and make increase visibility in low-light situations.
Sizing:
Size XS/S M/L XXL
Bust 28 - 34" 34 - 40" 40 - 46"

They have other models anatomically designed for women. My wife has one . . . bought it at Strictly Sail four years ago. Most comfortable non-inflatable life vest she's ever worn. I have a Stohlquist men's model . . . awesome!

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "WESTWIND"

#36 ·
I would suggest that a proper "kayak" pfd, which is going to be cut higher above the waist in order to allow you to sit in a kayak, is the wrong thing to wear sailing.

In order to fit in a kayak, with a spray skirt, the pfd would have to be cut higher, the same way that a flyfishing vest is cut high to keep the bottom out of the water when you are wading.

And that's fine, but when the bouyant material is higher up on your body, you float lower in the water. For open water use, you want the bouyancy down as low as possible, so it lifts you as high as possible. Which is one reason a crotch strap should be used, to keep the bouyancy low on your body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.