SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Life vests for the well-endowed

16K views 75 replies 30 participants last post by  Yamsailor 
#1 ·
I think the above says it all!

I'm just starting to think about outfitting our "new" sailboat with safety gear. Got a life vest for the tot already, thanks to advice from Sailnet folks. I'm not in a huge hurry since our "new" boat is in the "not sure whether to fix it or sell it for scrap to free up the trailer" category; probably I won't really be sailing until next summer and I can make do with a standard life vest until then when I'm tagging along on friends' boats.

I'm not quite so much of a freak of nature that I can't wear a regular vest. But they're not terribly comfortable and before I start shopping I was wondering whether there were brands of vests I should be looking at first. I'd like something comfortable enough to wear pretty much all the time. I think I'd like a Type III and a Type II to switch out as conditions warrant. To give an idea of sizing... let's just say that when I'm sure I'm done having kids I'm going in for back-saving surgery to go several sizes down to a D or DD. (Had a friend whose 'girls' grew back with her next pregnancy and don't want to risk having to do it twice).

On the other hand, maybe they'll serve just fine as floatation devices without a vest. :eek:

Also, last time I took the tot out on a boat I found I had to remove my life vest entirely in order to nurse. Has anybody here ever had a nurseling on a boat? And did you find any life vests that you could just open and not have to totally remove? It's not a huge issue now since Tot is almost done with her nursing days, but I may have one more before my childbearing years are over.

See less See more
#37 ·
MarkSF: Yeah, I've told him all that. Actually, he may be more willing to wear the vest because we'll be sailing in cold waters. He's not stupid. Just... set in his ways. And 90% of his boating experience has been in California or Hawaii where they simply don't have the icy conditions we have up here. Plus, we have a toddler now and that may change things a bit, giving him a bigger reason to stay alive longer. The inflatable vest may be enough to tip the scales also, because he should be able to wear it without it restricting his movement.

#38 ·
HELLOSAILER:
I agree, a kayak vest is not best for sailing . . . it was just the model that came up on google first with a good description of the way they approach the design of women's vests. Sorry for the confusion . . . I knew what I was thinking but didn't make myself clear. Like I said, they make lots of models. My wife has one designed for sailing. So do I! I just couldn't remember the exact name of the model and I'm 3 hours from the boat today so couldn't check.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

#39 ·
It looks like most of their jackets are designed for Kayaking, though. And, from the company website:

Women's model has built-in cups to fit sizes B to D.
... which falls several cup sizes short for me. It's a good suggestion, though, and I think maybe their multi-sport vest is less kayak-specific.

#41 ·
Hah! Someone else's turn to post pics. :D

#42 ·
Hey... Peoples lives are at stake here..

This is relevent stuff

Important to the content and continuity of the discussion..

We need to be able to grasp the enormity of the situation.

Reactions: MarkSF
#46 ·
#47 ·
Thank you for the tip! That looks like a pretty decent price. How does this compare to the Mustang brand ones? Is it worth the extra $$ to get a Mustang?

I think I'm going to need one for me and one for my husband. I had a nephew drown this week on the same river where we'll be sailing, and I'm not above using that as leverage to insist that my husband wear a life jacket whether he thinks "conditions warrant" or not. And I know it will be an uphill battle unless I can find him something that he doesn't feel impedes his movement and activity. So an inflatable is probably it. The Mustang ones I'm looking at are this one: HIT and this one: Deluxe Inflatable PFD (Automatic with Sailing Harness) MD3084 . But if the West Marine one is about as good, it would save a fair amount of money. Especially if we buy two. Or four (I might want some for the boys, too).

#49 ·
I wish I was qualified to give you more specific comparisons on the items, though I am pretty comfortable with the general reputation of West Marine. And I agree with you on getting your husband to wear one of these. I honestly forget I have it on after only a few minutes. And while I agree that it is best to try them on, you could always return it if you don't like the feel of it.

(I learned that from my wife who is not only a power shopper, but also a power returner!) :laugher

#51 ·
Brigala,

Go to the portland WM, they have a pretty good selcition of PFD's, or did the last time I was in there a week or two ago. As I said before, bring a set of warm clothes, ie tops when it is 80+F out, and something you would wear when it is 35F and attempting to snow, and blowing 30+ mph! ie fat clothes. If it fits in the store, can be adjusted etc, great.

My daughter has the WM yellow offshore pfd made by mustang, I believe it is a 3084 equal, she is GG if that helps, and has no issues wearing this one, a 3084 I have for my wife etc.

Marty

#52 ·
So the West Marine lifejackets are made by Mustang? Or some of them are?

#53 ·
"SOME" of the WM inflatables are made by mustang. AN issue with WM branded pfd's, depending upon the model, is if you blow up the air tank, etc, you may not find a replacement at any ol chandlery you have to inhabit. Where as with a mustang or other, you "may" be more inclined to find replacement parts.

Not sure about the one you are looking at. I would be inclined to ask at the store whom the manufacture is. I am recalling one other manufacture along with the spinlock version mentioned earlier in this thread too. Sterns?!?! I have a WM I believe made by sterns, not the most comfortable vs the mustang equals.

At the end of the day tho, if you are not wearing one, because it is uncomfortable, then that is not a good thing! especially if you drown! so the right one for the task/use at hand at the end of the day is what you want. I know inflatables are not recomended for kayaking, windsurfing etc where getting dunked is pretty common, but from a sailing powerboat use......not as common, and many like wearing them.

Marty

#54 ·
Ok, so that helps a lot. You're right, I'll visit the Portland WM store and talk to them. I totally get what you're saying about comfort being #1, because a life vest you aren't wearing doesn't do you any good. It's the same thing we tell people with car seats - the right car seat is the one that fits your child and your car and you'll use correctly every time. At the end of the day, a safety device has to be in use (and used correctly) in order to save your life.

How often do these things come on sale? If "end of season" is a good time to buy, that's awesome, but I'm also not in any rush since our boat is not in sailable condition yet. I'm hoping it will be ready next summer.

#55 ·
The PFD's that arknoah linked, seem to go on sale what I would call regularly, ie every other month or so. The Mustangs will/might be once or twice a year. A birdie is going off in my brain that they were on sale the first couple or last two weeks in July also. May have been a 5 day 4th of july sale too.

The WM version I got my kids a few years back were on sale around nov/dec iirc. As I got them for xmas presents. Either that or the mgr at the local store gave me a small % off for buying a number of them in Dec. This store was pretty small in comparison to portland, and since closed when the bigger super store in seattle opened.

Some of the cost difference may also be in the types of fittings, one is SS vs a chrome bronze metal, or plastic vs SS. heavier webbing etc. For general sailing the coastal version may be fine. If offshore or in heavier weather etc, the higher cost offshore version may be prefered. The coastal may also not have an option for a crotch strap, where as offshore versions usually have this option. Then again, if out on the columbia during a spring run when the water is high and moving, a crotch strap if you go over to make sure the pfd stays on you is on may be a good thing.

Maryt

#56 ·
Brigala:
Looking ahead to the future: Please go see your Plastic Surgeon now to review your options. Many health insurance companies now are very strict on coverage for a reduction. You may be required to document efforts you have made to improve your back pain, including weight loss, PT, etc. So document you greatest weight, and the efforts you have made.
In my 30+ years of surgery reduction was the 2nd most frequent procedure done, and had the highest % of grateful patients. Redoes, even after subsequent pregnancy were rare.

#57 ·
Thank you Maryt. That helps quite a bit.

Thank you also dongreerps. I'll talk to my doctor next time I go in and start leaving a paper trail. I certainly have struggled with back issues my whole life, and that's my biggest concern. Trouble finding clothes and other cosmetic concerns are certainly secondary. We are hoping to have another baby in about a year, and since I am a hippy and prefer to nurse for about two years (my almost 2 year old just self-weaned a couple of weeks ago) that puts us at least 3 years out before I would even start considering a reduction. If there's a next baby on our horizon it will be our last. I'm not getting any younger. :)

#58 ·
Brands: well, PS did a review of vests some years ago and models may have changed. But IIRC they mentioned the Crewfit (not USCG certified, not very actively sold on the US market, a UK brand) as being one of the few that will turn you face up in the water. If you can find that review it might be worth the time spent hunting it down.

And again regarding fit, if you use a crotch strap (which more folks are calling necessary not optional every year) you can get a large pfd that is loose around your chest--and it will still stay in place because the strap holds it down.

If I had a spouse I wouldn't argue with her about wearing a PFD (at least, about wearing it solo, or shorthanded, or on cold water, heavy wx, etc.) I'd just get a two million dollar life insurance policy and tell them "sign here please". And when they say what's this all about, I'd say that since they won't wear a PFD....at least I want something back from that selfish choice. No, wait, make it three mil, you've got kids.

#59 ·
My husband has a reasonable (not million though) life insurance policy that will take care of us if he falls off the boat and drowns, however I'd much rather have him around. I talked to him and he grudgingly agreed to wear a life jacket if I can find him one that is comfortable. Everyone I know who is into sailing wears life jackets, so that helps. I think he's just old school. But he does want to be around to see our kids grow up.

I like the idea of a crotch strap, especially after watching a couple of you tube videos demonstrating the inflatable vests. It seems like a crotch strap would help a LOT in holding the vest in place so it's more likely to turn you face up.

I'm looking for a "Type II Performance" vest, and supposedly that should turn the wearer face up. The under-$100 inflatables all say they have "Type III" performance and I think if I'm going to wear a vest I might as well have one that still has a good chance of saving my life even if I'm incapable of swimming.

#60 ·
I used to sail with someone that had young children and we talked about how to get the kids to wear life vests without complaining. Well, kids want to do what the grown-ups do, so we made the point of putting on the vests before we got on the launch or dock, and keeping them on until we were on dryland again or below deck.

You might want to cue in hubby, you've got a kid who will need to be wearing a PFD in a year or two. Let them start seeing it now, let them know it is normal and expected, and you'll have a much safer child next year. I think hubby will see the logic in that.

Comfort, again, you need to try them on, each fits differently. My ancient Crewfit rubs the back of my neck (if bare) but a piece of silk and some velco took care of that. Nice and comfy now. Crewfit actually toggles into the Henry Lloyd jackets, to hold it in place. I don't know if others do. And Crewfit makes extra bouyancy models.

I think Mustang got written up for having a more contoured more comfortable neck, but you really have to weigh all these things.

And then whatever you do get? Get one or two repack kits at the same time. If your vest is used, that way you can re-arm it afterwards. If you want to splurge, jump in the waster with it and see how it inflates, get used to the idea. You'll need to do that to really adjust the straps for proper position in the water. You don't need to waste an inflator on that though, you can usually remove that and just manually inflate.

#61 ·
Yeah, I was thinking that if we're all comfortable in the same brand vest, it would be best so we could keep the same re-arm kits and use them for whatever vest we have if anybody falls in. A re-arm kit seems like a good thing to just keep on the boat. Good tip to inflate the vest in order to properly adjust the straps. Do they all have a manual blow-up option?

Reactions: arknoah
#62 ·
Most if not all inflatables have a blow up option via your mouth. This way if the cannister does not inflate it all the way, you can, or if in the water a big, it starts to deflate say due to colder water, you can increase it.

Having all of the same pfds is good as you say, so you only need one or two rearm kits on the boat at any given time. Especially since they run about $30-50 per kit! depending upon the type etc.

Marty

#63 ·
I'm a big believer in the KISS principle but I think inflatables are the only way to go for one simple reason - they get WORN.

When you lose your footing or get hit by something and go over the side, a vest in a cockpit locker won't do any good at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.