Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014

tadavidson is on a distinguished road
Own My Boat

I own my O'Day 32' and live aboard alone very happily in Ventura, CA. People even here in California look askance at this, because I suppose I'm in a minority.

Tania Davidson
S/V Ashera
Ventura Harbor, CA
DRFerron likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

People here don't. There's a Grandma living discreetly but illegally in a marina near me. She does a lot of woodwork, varnish etc. on other boats and knows more about it than most of the guys in the boatyard.

One dreamer was trying to do a hack rebuild on an old wooden boat. It needed a new stem and he was completely clueless about it. He ignored a lot of good advice from the denizens of the boatyard but finally was forced to hire her. She quickly got fed up with the BS corner cutting he expected so she fired HIM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-02-2014

Greenhand is on a distinguished road

We are joint owners, but since I am currently unemployed, our dockmates know me.

I am noticing a pattern that I get projects started, then hubby swoops in on the weekends and gets to finish them. I just can't seem to make my arms long enough to reach both ends of a through bolted stanchion.
Old 06-02-2014
Admiral

janice142 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyS View Post
my problem seems to be taking it from page to hands - on where the mental block kicks in. I don't know how to transition from theoretical to practical. (snip) I need some hands on guidance, and I don't just know where to get it.
Hello Lesley. If you're in a marina or boatyard the best/easiest way is to chat up a fellow who has done similar work on his boat. Ask questions. Nobody knew all this stuff at first. We learn and eventually it will make sense to you too.

First though, wire something simple that you "can't mess up" - it's summertime so I'd suggest a fan. Tell your circle of testosterone (or lady friend) what you want to do and ask what they would do first.

One step at a time, and you can do it.
Two wires, (one positive/hot, one ground/neutral)
From your breaker panel to the object (one of each color wire)

I'm presuming of course you're working with 12-volts.
The rest though comes a bit at a time, and it will make sense, guaranteed.

IF however you're planning on wiring your entire boat and are clueless after reading Calder's, you probably will have to spend some money for help. Or work out a Swap.

What can you do well?
I've hired help for meals and a small bit of $$ (extremely small)
I've swapped my work for theirs
I've traded cruising guides for work
And I've simply done stuff for boaters because they needed help.

A while back I replaced a sheave at the top of a mast for two cookies. Doggone First Mate ate 'em when my back was turned.

Picture of First Mate:

And friends have helped me many times with things that were beyond my scope -- either strength or knowledge. I've been blessed.
swanbedankt and PassMeBy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2014

swanbedankt is on a distinguished road

I know many single handed women sailors who have off shore experience and tough coastal experience. And to revive this topic, I add, they sail Steel Brent Swain sailboats or Vintage wood or other kinds of makes and have great lives cruising the oceans.
Its a good life for a woman.. sometimes challenging because of the 'old boys clubs'. but the nice guys are not ruffled by it! And friends are made tried and true.. its a good life! True colors. Thats what the sea gives.. True Colors.

Last edited by swanbedankt; 06-22-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanbedankt View Post
I know many single handed women sailors who have off shore experience and tough coastal experience. And to revive this topic, I add, they sail Steel Brent Swain sailboats or Vintage wood or other kinds of makes and have great lives cruising the oceans.
Its a good life for a woman.. sometimes challenging because of the 'old boys clubs'. but the nice guys are not ruffled by it! And friends are made tried and true.. its a good life! True colors. Thats what the sea gives.. True Colors.
And, remember, BS is even single!

True colors.
MedSailor and SloopJonB like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-22-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

And destined to stay that way.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-24-2014

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Many women own their own boats! But what is the big deal, many men own their own boats.

I don't see the need of this separation. It is a type of person who owns their own boat or plane. They live life to the wall and are blessed and lucky enough to have been given or earned the opportunity.

I can own my boat and plane and still really appreciate a man that opens a door and provides flowers now and then. And for my part thank you to all the men that have taught me something along the way so I could be competent captain and mechanic and unplug the head when necessary.

Don't divide - include!

It might be fun
Old 06-24-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham the red View Post
Hi,
Many women own their own boats! But what is the big deal, many men own their own boats.

I don't see the need of this separation. ...
Don't divide - include!

It might be fun
I seriously doubt that Julie's intent with her original question was to divide. It was probably just natural curiosity from one woman to the rest of us. No conspiracies behind it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-24-2014

PassMeBy is on a distinguished road

Just putting in two cents (I'm a guy). I've been following a gal in Panama on YouTube that impresses the holy crap out of me. (Untie the lines). She bought an aluminum boat and has done everything from repairing holes to wiring. Was in the Navy on ships with women. Anything that needed doing got done.

No reason why women can't be skippers of their own craft. The biggest problems women face is the same as men. Honesty. If you don't know something, say so. Find out about it and move forward.

Another problem is taking it personal or some sort of insult if someone treats you like a "girl". I was raised to open doors and watch my language. Take advantage of that and I won't be around you long enough for you to mind anyway. Beat me up for it, same same.

I vote for more women skippers and more "girl" boats!
smackdaddy and SloopJonB like this.